Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-29-2018, 01:50 PM   #1303
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel07 View Post
I find it a little disconcerting that they're still griping about the mustang handling. When I rented a 2017 GT a couple of times last year, I was not impressed by the handling. Once you get close to 100 mph, the car feels like it wants to fly off the road and towards both ditches. I had the same issue with my 2003 Cobra and my recently purchased 2015 Ford Focus ST. On the country roads, it wants to follow every rut and groove which makes it feel very unsafe at higher speeds. The two GTO's I had felt much more planted. I think I might have to buy a GM car next as I'm getting tired of feeling like my car wants to kill me.
You would love it, as long as you don't mind being a ninja behind the wheel
Old 01-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #1304
1295/SS

Drives: 87 GNX 87 Turbo T '13 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCarFanBoy View Post
there is an excuse, it’s just not one you like to hear and that is that people care less about fractions of a second around a road course or .1 on a drag strip then they do about things like visibility and storage space. Performance can be improved if needed but unless you are going to install a Google Earth mapping camera on the Camaro your stuck with horrible sight lines. And no matter how many times Jonny talks up how the Camaro is the best driving car on Earth the sales will continue to reflect it.
Since they're PERFORMANCE CARS, most tend to stick to performance unless they're getting beat. Hey, but your sales are awesome.
1295/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:14 PM   #1305
1295/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
And back then who cared about what a mustang/camaro would do at a track - nobody. It was all street and strip action. Come into to a gathering talking about how your car handled and you would be laughed right out.
You must have lived a sheltered life (or had a car that couldn't handle) if you and some friends never hammered down a two lane winding road to see who had the better performer. Mustang guys NEVER change. Same argument.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:30 PM   #1306
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1295/SS View Post
You must have lived a sheltered life (or had a car that couldn't handle) if you and some friends never hammered down a two lane winding road to see who had the better performer. Mustang guys NEVER change. Same argument.
No sheltered life here. I repeat nobody cared about the handling of the Camaro back in those days. Nobody I ever met ever raced around curves especially on the street, bad idea on so many different levels. The problem for the Camaro back then was it was non-existent in any of the popular racing forums. There were plenty of guys with 67-mid 70s Camaros, Buick GNs and turbo Regals, but virtually no later model Camaros other than the occasionall pro-mod that would show up at the strip.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #1307
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
I don't know about newmoon but all the car guys I ever hung around with all they cared about was who could get down the 1/4 faster. And for the most part it was the F-body guys that got down there faster lol. It wasn't really until a few of my car buddies got Corvette's that they cared about turns

Quote:
No sheltered life here. I repeat nobody cared about the handling of the Camaro back in those days. Nobody I ever met ever raced around curves especially on the street, bad idea on so many different levels. The problem for the Camaro back then was it was non-existent in any of the popular racing forums. There were plenty of guys with 67-mid 70s Camaros, Buick GNs and turbo Regals, but virtually no later model Camaros other than the occasionall pro-mod that would show up at the strip.
I did notice that too, when I raced in a competitive series that traveled to different tracks the amount of mustang's that outnumbered Camaro's was crazy in the street classes. Which seemed so odd to me because at test n tune nights there was always a crazy amount of camaros
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:41 PM   #1308
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I don't know about newmoon but all the car guys I ever hung around with all they cared about was who could get down the 1/4 faster. And for the most part it was the F-body guys that got down there faster lol. It wasn't really until a few of my car buddies got Corvette's that they cared about turns

I did notice that too, when I raced in a competitive series that traveled to different tracks the amount of mustang's that outnumbered Camaro's was crazy in the street classes. Which seemed so odd to me because at test n tune nights there was always a crazy amount of camaros
For example when the Super Chevy weekend would come to the local track most all of the late model Camaros would be in the car show event, the track event nearly all late 60-early 70s muscle. When the Fun Ford events came to town it would be a sea of 5.0s in the staging lanes. I used to run the true-street event where you had to do the 30-mile street cruise then straight to the staging lanes, my GT ran 10:30s and I was usually knocked out 1st round. Insane cars at that time, you had to be running mid to upper 9s to compete.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:45 PM   #1309
1295/SS

Quote:
Go back and read some of your old car mags. When the 3rd gen first came out, the handling was the main topic because the 1/4 mile numbers for all cars in the early 80's was sad but they raved about the handling. So apparently someone cared.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #1310
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
you worry about turning better.... i'll make sure im far enough in front that it wont matter.
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:53 PM   #1311
1295/SS

Quote:
you worry about turning better.... i'll make sure im far enough in front that it wont matter.
Not if you're in a Mustang apparently.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:01 PM   #1312
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
For example when the Super Chevy weekend would come to the local track most all of the late model Camaros would be in the car show event, the track event nearly all late 60-early 70s muscle. When the Fun Ford events came to town it would be a sea of 5.0s in the staging lanes. I used to run the true-street event where you had to do the 30-mile street cruise then straight to the staging lanes, my GT ran 10:30s and I was usually knocked out 1st round. Insane cars at that time, you had to be running mid to upper 9s to compete.
The index series I ran was open to any car. They had classes in the following indexes. the "Pro Classes" 8.60, 9.60. 10.60. the Street classes were 11.60, 12.50 and 13.50 and they had a bracket class too. Me and my impressive 3V were in the 13.50 class, and the other guys that were at every event had A 2010 Mustang GT, couple of fox bodies, an SN95 and a Ranger with a 302 in it. the 11 and 12 second classes were 95% Mustangs and the occasional Trans/Am.

But the craziest thing was there were always so many 11 and 12 second Camaro's at test n tune yet none of them ever wanted to try the series out.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:11 PM   #1313
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
No sheltered life here. I repeat nobody cared about the handling of the Camaro back in those days.
Really, I think 95% of the people that don't drag race their cars and 99.99% of the people that drive their cars on the street car about handling. Just because Ford screwed up with the 4 link and never bothered to fix it to like 2005? Does not mean "nobody" cared. More like Mustang owners could not car, because handling outside of the Cobra IRS was non-existent.

Ford is still suffering today... The Mustang is perceived to be either a secretaries car, or a drag racer, or a cheap rental car the "looks" fast.

Quote:
Nobody I ever met ever raced around curves especially on the street, bad idea on so many different levels.
A rare pleasure, that as Texas gets build-up, harder to come by. You think building and promoting 500+ HP that will NEVER show up at the drags a good thing on so many levels... please. Wants the tree hugers take over, we will be all in 4 dr Prius.

Quote:
The problem for the Camaro back then was it was non-existent in any of the popular racing forums. There were plenty of guys with 67-mid 70s Camaros, Buick GNs and turbo Regals, but virtually no later model Camaros other than the occasionall pro-mod that would show up at the strip.
There were several issues: expense, heavy, a very poor 10 or 9 bolt and hard to impossible to work on even changing plugs under the A/C was a total nightmare. I don't know about "non-existent" but it definitely drove people to the GN, Monte, and / or Mustang. For me I went to FWD for this stint. 300 HP GLH-S, 200 then 300 then 450 HP Integras, also a few BMWs in there. I came back to modern muscle cars with a 98 LS1 Camaro and then a supercharged Challenger and then now a LT1 Camaro. Still have several crazy fast FWD.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:15 PM   #1314
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
No doubt. Even my wife says "watch out!" when she sees a GT headed our direction. All those cars and coffee disasters.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:27 PM   #1315
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Be careful, all that stuff you've got in your car utilizing the cavernous storage space of the Mustang might shift while you accelerate. Hopefully it won't fly everywhere and block your visibility through the massive windows.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:43 PM   #1316
Godfatha

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black Convertible
Quote:
But he will be able to see that Camaro as it passes by because of his superior visibility.
Godfatha is offline   Reply With Quote