Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-03-2015, 11:09 PM   #1
Seanshanahan

Drives: 2013 1LT
2013 LT Trailer hitch upgrade

I'm trying to locate trailer hitch for my 2013 camaro, to haul a one axle trailer ect. My question is upon my research I came across this http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...eid=2013301961 has any one had any expereince with this one? And trailer hitches any one could recommend me? I'm new to this so I want the best bang for my buck im not gonna haul a truck or anything just for small projects under 1500 max (trailer included) and I need help from you all. Thank you again!!
Seanshanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
That's a good hitch. Fits up perfectly and bolts up with 3 bolts. No modifications necessary. Clears the rear fascia by 1/4". I have one and use it for a bike rack sometimes in the summer. For the wiring harness, I installed the type that senses from the signal lines but draws the power directly from the battery (through its own fuse). This way any trailer lights don't put additional load on your tail light circuits.

FYI, if I remember correctly, the max towing capacity of the 5th gen's is 1000lb, not 1500. Don't remember the tongue weight limits. It's all in your owners manual.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
Seanshanahan

Drives: 2013 1LT
Yeah the owners manual says towing is a max 1000 safely im assuming within warranty information, been reading and comparing the stats of my camaro to those of smaller trucks and it seems to actually be more powerful??? Some people were saying it could be pushed up to 2000 pounds, I'm not gonna be hauling anything over 1500 and 1000 will be my Max on te road but I was just wondering if this was actually even safe, 3 bolts?? I have to put the safety of me and every one on the road with a thousand pound gross trailer behind me held in by 3 bolts without being welded, so that's why I'm trying to get information if this is actually safe, can you explain the tounge weight limit I don't understand that exactly? This hitch is rated safely up to 2k pounds but I know the book says 1k safely I think te transmision could handle more but I'm not pushing it just want a good bang for my buck and know that what I buy is safe for me and every one else without fear of a bolt sheering off or something cause then that falls on me.
Seanshanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #4
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
The pictures on the site show how it attaches. It's safe. The holes in the 2 rear-most flanges fit over the existing, extra-long studs that are used to attach the steel bumper to the rear of the frame members. The washers and nuts are threaded on to hold it in place. Those studs only have to support the tongue weight. Tongue weight is the downward force on the trailer hitch. This is usually in the 100's of lbs but, again, check the manual or hitch documentation. The hitch flanges actually pull against the rear frame member and steel bumper, which is what takes all the force. The front bolt just attaches to the bottom of the differential. It doesn't really sustain much force (again, probably in the 100's of lbs). It's mostly just there to give you a third attachment point to keep everything from moving around.

As far as towing limits go, I'm sure the 1000lbs is a safe estimate with a factor of safety built in. I'm sure you can tow more but the more you tow, the harder it will be on your clutch, tranny, rear diff, etc. You have to keep the worst case scenario in mind. If you're only towing at low speeds on level ground, you could probably tow 10,000lb (if you could get it moving). You would probably wear out your brakes trying to stop though. But if you're towing up a mountain road, you probably want to stick closer to the 1000lb limit, since 1, your drivetrain is fighting gravity to pull it up and 2, your brakes have to stop it coming down the other side of the mountain. Also, if you're towing at highway speeds, you probably want to stick close to the 1000lb limit simply due to stopping distance, and the forces applied to components if something were to happen and you'd have to slam on the brakes. YMMV. Good luck!
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote