Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, Nitto 555G2, Other?
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 10 58.82%
Nitto 555G2 5 29.41%
Other (please state why below) 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2020, 10:59 AM   #1
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, Nitto 555G2, or something else?

As the title states, I'm looking at new tires since after 7 years and 30k+ miles mine are pretty shot. I'm trying to decide what to get. The car gets occasional road trips so I want to have something that won't die after 10k miles, but I also don't need to break the bank with some high end Michelin tires (even though I know Michelin tires are awesome). The two that I've been thinking about are Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 and Nitto 555G2. What are people's personal experience with these two, which would you choose, and why would you choose one over the other. Also, if you have tried these in the past and you don't like them, why didn't you like them and what would you choose instead?
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:39 AM   #2
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
I have the Firestone Indy 500s and they are a good all around tire for a daily driver. Treadwear seems decent and they do ok in the wet. That said, they suck for autocrossing so it really depends on your intended use.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #3
pyroguy

Thanks larry. I plan on using the car for the occasional road trip, trips to car shows, and the occasional "spirited" drive along the road. My wife doesn't want me to race the car so I'm not going to (officially), but I don't want a tire that will wear out immediately or not be able to hold the power effectively enough. I have a BTR stage 2 NA cam and supporting mods.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #4
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I've had both the indy 500's and the nittos. I like the indys better...
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:10 PM   #5
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
There are so many choices these days. Even all season performance tires are pretty stout. I really like my Cooper Zeon RS3-S. Taken several road trips on them and they are quiet and have worn well. I dont think Cooper is making them anymore....so you might find some cheap.
Never used them but have always heard good things about the Firestone's.
Good luck
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:13 PM   #6
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
I've had both the indy 500's and the nittos. I like the indys better...
Looking at your signature you have quite the mod list. Did you have both or either of these tires with a power level at or above 450rwhp? I'm around that mark with an automatic trans currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
There are so many choices these days. Even all season performance tires are pretty stout. I really like my Cooper Zeon RS3-S. Taken several road trips on them and they are quiet and have worn well. I dont think Cooper is making them anymore....so you might find some cheap.
Never used them but have always heard good things about the Firestone's.
Good luck
I appreciate the input. I see that Cooper indeed doesn't make the RS3-S anymore and I'd rather have a tire that I know will be as new as possible. I don't get violent with the car, a.k.a. no big smokey burnouts or anything, so I want something that will last a while, hold my current power level reasonably, and isn't old on the shelf so that I don't have to replace them again anytime soon.

As for all season tires, I have some all season tires on now. Continental Extreme DWS on the front and some cheaper off brand name on the back that have held up overall well over the years. However, the Continentals are a little pricey and the others are just cheap. They got some good miles, but they're not great for much else.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #7
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Looking at your signature you have quite the mod list. Did you have both or either of these tires with a power level at or above 450rwhp? I'm around that mark with an automatic trans currently.

I appreciate the input. I see that Cooper indeed doesn't make the RS3-S anymore and I'd rather have a tire that I know will be as new as possible. I don't get violent with the car, a.k.a. no big smokey burnouts or anything, so I want something that will last a while, hold my current power level reasonably, and isn't old on the shelf so that I don't have to replace them again anytime soon.

As for all season tires, I have some all season tires on now. Continental Extreme DWS on the front and some cheaper off brand name on the back that have held up overall well over the years. However, the Continentals are a little pricey and the others are just cheap. They got some good miles, but they're not great for much else.
Both above 500hp... the indys have better grip
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:25 PM   #8
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
Both above 500hp... the indys have better grip
Excellent, thanks! How many miles did you get out of them?
Old 03-25-2020, 03:59 PM   #9
fireman1153

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I had the Indy 500's on my car (actually still have them on the front) and I make over 900whp. Obviously I don't get great traction but that's what the radial are for when I see the track. But for what I paid and compared to other tires, they actually did hook better than most that are not a true drag radial. I was very happy with them. I put about 20k on the rear tires and the fronts are still on with about 25k on them and still look pretty good.
fireman1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #10
Tomsusername

Drives: Velvet Blue Metallic 2015 1SS 1LE
For a 'budget' performance tire, the Indy 500's seem hard to beat. The last time I looked at tires, they were really appealing. It sounds like they punch pretty hard above their price point.
Tomsusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:20 PM   #11
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
I have the NT555G2 and like them. They perform great on dry and wet roads
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:49 PM   #12
Pearlj10

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
I’m glad that so many people like the Indy Firehawks. I bought a set for my 2011 based on all the good reviews and price, but had them removed two days later. To me, the sidewall was just too soft for a vehicle of this weight. You can feel how soft if you compare it to other unmounted premium summer tires. And the tires screeched like all hell when cornering. I’ve seen many other owners comment on the cornering noise, so I don’t think it’s as simple as I just got a bad set. Not trying to bash a product many are happy with, just relaying my experience.
Pearlj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:20 AM   #13
d kings z28

Drives: 2014 white z28
Great information thanks
d kings z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #14
pyroguy

Pearlj10, thanks for the info. What did you get as an alternative? It's interesting that on Firestone's webpage they say the Indy 500's don't fit these cars, but they have the necessary tire sizes to fit the stock replacements.

Tags
555g2, firestone, indy 500, nitto, tires