Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-27-2016, 05:46 AM   #1
Aprojectile

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Engine oil cooler for our cars?

Title says it all, I'm looking for a way to cool the engine oil for my 2012 M6.

According to the factory gauge pack, I sit on average at 210, and that's with a outside temperature of in the 80s. I'm not sure if that is high or not, or what would even be considered safe levels. But I plan to track my car some time in the future and im worried that I will over heart while on the track.

And to add to this, I am running the Fabberge TT kit so my oil will run hotter than a NA car due to the oil flowing through the turbos as well.
Aprojectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:30 AM   #2
alice

Drives: 2010 camaro limited edition turbo
I installed an auxiliary oil filter and twin oil coolers when I installed my TT system on my Limited Edition LLT about 4 years ago. First, it may come as a surprise to you that there is no oil temperature sending unit in the Camaros. The oil temperature gauge simply reads out an estimated temperature that is calculated for other engine data sent to the ECU. GM cut a major corner here and I had wondered why my temperature gauge did not reflect the addition of (2) very large oil coolers. That explains no temperature reduction and to me, is really disappointing that GM did this.

Anyway, you absolutely need to cool the oil down with any high performance application. These late models run too hot, in my opinion and need help if developing more HP. You can add a factory adapter from other application 3.6 V-6's and do away with that eye sore casting that houses the stock oil filter, then purchase a simple aftermarket remote oil filter adapter and relocate the oil filter, then add any coolers you prefer. This will solve the problem. As for me, I already have my cooling system in place but am working on a oil temperature gauge that actually reads REAL TIME OIL TEMPERATURE! See attached pics for the GM adapter. I believe the part number is GM 12635599. As with any non-stock modification, it is the owners responsibility to verify that any non-stock part fits your particular application in function, as well as physical fitment.
Attached Images

Last edited by alice; 09-27-2016 at 06:34 AM. Reason: added part number
alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #3
Aprojectile

This is great news and info, but will the adapter work on my LFX engine? I know their really isnt much difference between the LLT and the LFX but it doesnt hurt to ask.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #4
Aprojectile

Also, could you provide more pictures of your overall setup for how you cool your oil? And aren't you working on a LFX swap?
Old 09-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
I have a 2013 and I just looked this up in Alldata. It shows a oil level/oil temperature sensor in the oil pan. I can't find a connector view but here is the wiring diagram. I'm not sure how it knows the temp if there are only 2 wires. Maybe uses one wire for both? I'll have to look more into it. I have an extra pan and sensor in the garage at home.

I think the oil level sensor might be something they added to the LFX. I remember reading how the LLTs didn't have a level sensor. I could be wrong though.
Attached Images

JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:46 AM   #6
alice

Interesting. I confirm that there is no oil temperature unit in the LLT's. It is possible they added it in the oil level sending unit as shown in the schematic and use data transfer to interpret temperature. I will have to investigate that further. Good point. If anyone on the forum has any explanation for this, please chime in. Because I have an LLT, I will need to install a sender in the oil pan for sure. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Jantzen.

And yes, I have a 2014 LFX engine pretty much ready to transplant. The LFX oil adapter is the same as for the LLT on the ones that I have seen. Should work but always verify when bolting it on. I believe all of them take the same block gasket. I have been so busy with my business that I have had to put the engine transplant on hold until winter, when my business slows down but hopefully it will be in the vehicle and running by spring. This transplant has been a huge effort in the planning stages and need to be sure it will work before going to all the effort of installing the engine. I have already plugged the LFX engine/transmission into the body plugs of the LLT and have had a successful start up and test run. Only a couple codes to work out and then we should be good to go. Getting close. Gotta make money before playing with my toy or the wife will be upset with me, you know how it goes.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:59 AM   #7
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
I have a 2013 and I just looked this up in Alldata. It shows a oil level/oil temperature sensor in the oil pan. I can't find a connector view but here is the wiring diagram. I'm not sure how it knows the temp if there are only 2 wires. Maybe uses one wire for both? I'll have to look more into it. I have an extra pan and sensor in the garage at home.

I think the oil level sensor might be something they added to the LFX. I remember reading how the LLTs didn't have a level sensor. I could be wrong though.
There's definitely an oil level sensor of some sort in my 2015 LFX, as I got a 'low oil" warning the other day. Changed my oil that day, and I was 1.5 qt low. (I purposely didn't add oil for a bit in order to test this theory, while monitoring my pressures and temps for the duration of the test.)

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #8
Aprojectile

I'm hoping to get a setup where I can have the oil cooled after it comes out of the engine, then feed that oil to the turbos, then have it cooled again, then cycle back through. That's how I would like to have it setup. I also want to add a thermostat after each cooler that controls a fan, so during hot days in heavy traffic with no airflow, will cause the fans to turn on to help cool the oil down. And same for if im on a track with low top speeds.

I'm just trying to get a solution that will provide excellent cooling since my goal is to eventually get to 600+ rwhp.

I also need to find a way to water cool the turbos as well.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #9
littlefielc

Drives: 2013 convertible Hot Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post

Schematic makes it look like if the level indicator is 'open' (or is that a facsimile digital drawing?) all the stuff in the line is dead. Must be a logic type diagram not really like a one line.
littlefielc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #10
alice

All you need to do to cool the turbo center sections is to weld -10 bungs into the top and bottom of the radiator. Mount a water circulation pump ( bosche style ) somewhere in the front of the car about midway down from the top of the radiator, connect a -10 hose from the bottom bung of the radiator (pulling coolant from the bottom of the radiator to the pump) then a -10 hose from the pump "out" port to the back of the car, tee off that line to each turbo center sections, then come out of the center sections to another tee and back to the top of the radiator. I've had my installed for 4 years and no issue at all. Works perfect.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #11
Aprojectile

So I'm trying to decide how I should run the oil cooler. Here are the 3 ideas I have

1. Cool the oil after the engine, before it goes to the turbos.
2. Cool the oil after the turbos, before it goes to the engine.
3. Run 2 coolers and cool the oil after the engine, and after the turbos too.

My only concern with the 3rd option is if the stock oil pump will be able to handle that.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:56 PM   #12
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
This is our solution. http://www.jpssonline.com/#/jpss-oil-cooler-kit/

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:24 PM   #13
Aprojectile

[QUOTE=JusticePete;9431763]This is our solution. http://www.jpssonline.com/#/jpss-oil-cooler-kit/

I like this setup, but this looks like it's for the V8 engines. I have the V6 LFX engine so will this also work on mine?
Old 11-30-2016, 06:48 PM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
[QUOTE=Aprojectile;9431930]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
This is our solution. http://www.jpssonline.com/#/jpss-oil-cooler-kit/

I like this setup, but this looks like it's for the V8 engines. I have the V6 LFX engine so will this also work on mine?
We have not done 6... yet. Does the 6 have the same OE oil cooler?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote