Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-26-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
galloand

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
2014 1LE low oil pressure and dealer screw up

Covered under warranty!

Last edited by galloand; Today at 03:54 PM.
galloand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:57 PM   #2
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
I don't think the Warranty will cover anything unless GM decides to serve you with some superb after the fact service (highly doubtful). The dealership however, should be held responsible imo as you warned them upon bringing the car there that it had a low oil pressure condition, but decided to fire it up on their own. You don't have to fire it up to get the mileage ffs.......

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:32 PM   #3
Silveradoss573

Drives: 2015 AGM 1LE
Stock or modded?
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Sorry to hear OP. It sounds like the classic oil pump failure so many LS3's have suffered due to debris left in the block from the initial machining of the motor. Clearly these people were a$$hats and they deserve to pay for the repairs beyond the failed pump. This happened to a guy here a couple years ago. The same thing they kept running the motor when he told them not too. His warranty claim was denied because he had a catch can on the car to add insult to injury. But I would be going after them if it were my car.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
weSS1LEy
weSS1LEy

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss/rs/1le
So what is the incidence of pump failure? 2% , 10%. That really sucks. I would go to the top with that complaint
Old 04-28-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Personally I would have had it towed home as soon as it had a oil pressure problem until I could afford to get it scheduled into my tuner/mechanic, I imagine your pretty much up a creek with out a paddle when you let idiots touch your car, dealers don't touch mine. They are more than just partially responsible as it was not hurt, they hurt it and you ran it limping it when you should not have which pressed it to its limit as it only took a couple times starting it to make it knock now. You may want to look for a competent shop tuner near by and arrange a loan to most likely tear off top end, maybe drop front cradle; most shops are not going to sneak a pump in and guarantee it...good luck.
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr, Powermaster xs 9509 starter, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels,Toyo Proxes 4+, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body LED, DRL rewire, Sparks badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 oil, NGK TR6IX , Granatelli wires.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:28 PM   #7
Moekluse

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I have not personally had to deal with the dealership with any major repairs, although I can tell you that my camaro is never going back to my Jeff Gordon chevy dealer. A simple Ac compressor job was FUBAR'd when they put my main accessory drive belt on incorrectly and it ate through the metal crimp on my oil cooler coolant line. I ended up replacing it myself and replaced both belts as well because they misaligned the stretch belt and damaged it as well. I didn't even tell the service manager what happened, I just went in there and ordered the parts and payed out of pocket. They also did not fill up the pan with the correct amount of oil, I was 2 quarts shy when I drove it home afterwards and ended up just replacing it myself per usual. Their parts department was nice but the technicians there are clowns.

I would definitely take this to a higher level if they do not cover you under warranty. If you have a dash camera, you can even prove that the technicians were responsible for the damages.
Moekluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:02 AM   #8
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
I'd be willing to wager that the knock you are hearing is not coming from the top end of the motor. More than likely it is coming from a rod bearing(s).

Did you annotate on the service ticket anywhere that you advised them not to start it? Unless the Service writer is a stand-up guy, you are probably going to eat it.

If you end up eating it, find a reputable shop, NOT a dealership.

Best of luck, OP!

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:55 AM   #9
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by galloand View Post
I just happened to be right down the street from a Chevy dealer so I limped it in with no issues. No noises or anything.
Thank you
You didn't do yourself any favors by driving it more after you got the oil pressure message.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #10
Guinness2

Drives: 14 Camaro 1SS RS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by galloand View Post
Today I was driving in my 2014 1LE and got the low oil pressure warning. I just happened to be right down the street from a Chevy dealer so I limped it in with no issues. No noises or anything. Once at the dealer I told them about the low oil pressure and asked them not to start it. The service writer and technician started the car 4 times (once to ďcheck numbersĒ, once to drive it to the service Bay Area, once to pull it into the bay, and once to show me the knock it was now making) like I said, the motor was not making any unusual noises when I shut it off. The service writer even said ďitís not making any noises itís probably a bad sensor.Ē Before he drove it to the service Bay Area. After an hour they bring me to the service area and start the car and now itís knocking and sounds like shit.

And my power train expired on 2/24/19. Car has 27k miles on it with regular oil changes. Now my car sits at the dealership and they want to bill me 3 labor hours to check the oil pressure and find out where the issue is. However with them driving the car and the noise itís making now I canít help but suspect there was collateral damage in the valve train, I canít help but feel like the dealership is partially responsible for that. When I asked the service manager why his techs and writers would start and drive a car with low oil pressure he said he had no idea and agreed that no good could ever come of it.

I have filed a claim with Chevrolet customer care and spoken with the dealerships service manager. Has anyone dealt with anything similar? Do I actually have any chance of getting this covered by GM/the dealership?

Thank you
You most likely have a stuck bypass valve on your oil pump, you will need to replace the oil pump. It sounds like the end of the world but its not. I wouldn't expect the dealer to do anything for you. This would be a good time to do a cam and related upgrades as it will be torn down anyways if you are into performance mods.
Guinness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #11
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
You are out of luck with the dealer . Either pull the pan and check the bottom end or have a reputable shop do it . This is the perfect time to modify the engine . If you have low oil P and then a knocking noise the bearings are toast .Time to pull it and rebuild it .

Last edited by GONIF; 04-30-2019 at 11:53 AM. Reason: ok
GONIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:59 AM   #12
Guinness2

Drives: 14 Camaro 1SS RS 1LE Summit White
I was in this same position. I had this happen to me also. Same car same year. If your not comfortable tearing down your own car, I would take it to a LS shop and have them lower the pan pull and replace the pump. If it hadn't been run long you should be good. Lifters make a lot of noise when there is no oil pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Guinness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #13
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2 View Post
I was in this same position. I had this happen to me also. Same car same year. If your not comfortable tearing down your own car, I would take it to a LS shop and have them lower the pan pull and replace the pump. If it hadn't been run long you should be good. Lifters make a lot of noise when there is no oil pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would check all the bearings and crank shaft too .
Old 06-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #14
Mongojoe

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE NPP, NAV, Recaros
Same thing happened in my 2014 1LE. Oil pump shredded itself. The dealer disassembled the engine to check for any damage, found none, and buttoned it back up. They said GM asked for the failed pump because they didn't expect that part to fail when it did (only 38K on my car).