Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-30-2018, 10:03 AM   #1
GLBL WMR
Booya

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
Exhaust and Brakes Recommendations Please

Family and work commitments have kept me away from my 2010 SS for a couple of years, but I need to replace the original rotors and pads and I'm going to install a cat-back while I'm at it. Can anybody recommend some good cross-drilled and slotted rotors? I'm not looking to break the bank but I want an upgrade over OEM with the cross-drilled look.

As far as the exhaust, can anybody recommend a cat-back that isn't over the top? I've always like the Stainless Works chambered kit, but it is too loud considering I'm looking at a cam, LTs, and electric cut-outs for next year. I'd like to find a cat-back with a nice sound that isn't ridiculously loud when I don't want it to be (and when I do want it to be - well that's why I want the cut-outs). I'm not really a fan of Corsa or Borla. Has anybody come out with anything new these past couple of years worth looking at?
Old 05-30-2018, 12:21 PM   #2
Yellow Bullet

Drives: 2017 Chevy Sonic RS 1.4T
From what I've heard drilled rotors are just for looks and actually WEAKEN rotors structure.

2017 Sonic Mosaic Black RS 1.4T
Yellow Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
DarrinSmartL99

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/2SS
R1 concepts. Check them on e-bay.
DarrinSmartL99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Edit: check magnaflow catbacks for great sound while staying under the radar. Just saw you mentioned thinking about longtubes
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Bullet View Post
From what I've heard drilled rotors are just for looks and actually WEAKEN rotors structure.
For a street car they should be fine.

I wouldn't track with them though.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:24 PM   #6
GLBL WMR
Booya

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
Thanks for the input, all. Magnaflow had been on my radar along with Solo because of the lack of drone, so I'm definitely considering them. R1 concepts looks interesting. I know that drilled and slotted rotors are about looks and I'm fine with that knowing that this is for a weekend driver that won't see the track.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:34 PM   #7
QUICRNU

Drives: Z06 wannabe
Slots are ok, especially J slots. I would skip the drilling and run slots if you want the look.

I had corsa borla atak and magnaflow, just went back to the magnaflow 3" on Quic. Love the tone and its easy to deal with LTs no cats x pipe. On throttle.. well.... long tubes prevent anything from covering up the pure power these LS's make. Cruise is very tame.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
Tech@Flowmaster

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBL WMR View Post
Family and work commitments have kept me away from my 2010 SS for a couple of years, but I need to replace the original rotors and pads and I'm going to install a cat-back while I'm at it. Can anybody recommend some good cross-drilled and slotted rotors? I'm not looking to break the bank but I want an upgrade over OEM with the cross-drilled look.

As far as the exhaust, can anybody recommend a cat-back that isn't over the top? I've always like the Stainless Works chambered kit, but it is too loud considering I'm looking at a cam, LTs, and electric cut-outs for next year. I'd like to find a cat-back with a nice sound that isn't ridiculously loud when I don't want it to be (and when I do want it to be - well that's why I want the cut-outs). I'm not really a fan of Corsa or Borla. Has anybody come out with anything new these past couple of years worth looking at?
While not a Cat-back system our Force II Axle-back System will offer a moderate/mild exhaust tone that may be what you're looking for. This is a good solution to add some additional tone and performance now and have some flexibility to build your around your future mods (LT's and cut-outs) without having to pay for a Cat-back now and then hack it up to integrate the LT's and cut-outs later on. We do offer a number of intake and exhaust products for your vehicle. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or call us at 707-544-4761.

- Jason @ Flowmaster

Last edited by Tech@Flowmaster; 06-13-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Tech@Flowmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #9
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I know you won't listen.....no one ever does....but I have to say it. IF you are planning on headers in near futue....then please wait till you get them before messing with the exhaust. You will just end up another casualty of, "now my car is too loud and what's with this drone," syndrome. Then you end up spending double to find a solution to what headers with stock exhaust would have achieved in the beginning.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #10
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Stock rotors and some hawk pads are more then enough for the street. Drilled no good but for looks, slotted fine but not needed unless racing. I autocross a lot and run Morris 2 pc front, stock rear, hawk 5.9 pads and modul 600 fluid. More then enough. Magnaflow catback or similar one keeps the sound more mellow and deep with cam, shorties and hiflows that I have. But as others have said if getting longtubes, do that first, to see what you think. Many with longtubes prefer the stock exhaust
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:49 AM   #11
rdanzel

Drives: 2010
I personally like the Magnaflow. It has a deepish tone that is not too loud.
rdanzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:54 AM   #12
Ashen L99

Drives: Ashen grey, 1SS, L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
I know you won't listen.....no one ever does....but I have to say it. IF you are planning on headers in near futue....then please wait till you get them before messing with the exhaust. You will just end up another casualty of, "now my car is too loud and what's with this drone," syndrome. Then you end up spending double to find a solution to what headers with stock exhaust would have achieved in the beginning.
+1

Start at the front!!!
Roto-fab CAI, Nick Williams 102mm TB, LOD X1 V3 intake manifold, GMPP LS3 heads, Night Fury cam, TSP 2” long tubes, Corsa ZL-1 catback, Nitrous Outlet 102mm plate kit/150 shot, NGK BR7EF plugs with Taylor plug wires, DSX flex fuel kit, ZL-1 fuel pump and injectors, B&M deep trans pan, Yank 3400 converter, 3.45s with BMR Delrin bushings, mishimoto 169° Thermostat, GM ground effects, T-Rex upper grill, Z/28 Spoiler, Lolly pop Lime brake calipers, ZL1 10 spoke wheels, 12” subwoofer, and custom paint matched interior.
Ashen L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:40 AM   #13
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen L99 View Post
+1

Start at the front!!!

And I absolutely LOVE my DBA rotors. They look amazing and holy hell do they put up with some abuse!
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote