Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 10-25-2010, 12:38 AM   #43
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
Why mess with it? Because at the Dealer the lowest man on the totem pole does oil changes.
He may:
Put the wrong oil in.
Cross tread the plug.
Put only 5 qts in.
Use the wrong oil.
Take your car out for a spin, etc etc.
Lots of reasons to do it yourself the right way.
i hear ya!,,but ya can't be paranoid!..what you say is true at a wally mart.however even though it CAN happen at a chevy dealer,it wont happen at
the chevy dealer i use!..they have only top shelf mechanics!..no lube boys!,and i watch 'em very closely!...for $15.99
the "deal" is basically a "loss" leader,and a marketing ploy to get the car up on a lift,and find OTHER things wrong with it,OR that require further attention!

Last edited by jmaryt; 10-25-2010 at 12:56 AM.
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:39 AM   #44
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdditten View Post
I am not saying they all do this. Some mechanics or service people are very concerned about the work they do and do it well.
i agree!..not everyone's a f**king idiot!..ya gotta find the right one!..is all!
Old 10-25-2010, 12:42 AM   #45
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC_GIBB View Post
i watched jiffy lube do mine the other day... seems they do an efficient job when you stand there watch them. I've been changing my own oil for years I'm going to keep a paper trail as long as i'm under warranty though. Just my preference.... this is very good info to know though! good post
exactly my sentiments!..paper trail until the warranty's gone!
Old 11-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #46
yellowgmc

Drives: 2011 2LT yellow/black strips
Great illustrations and instructions ... looks like GM took a step back to the fifties or earlier when the oil filter was of a similar design; it sat in a pot on the top side of the engine.
yellowgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #47
JonnyHotBody
The Lady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Cyber Gray/Murdered
how do you reset the oil(ols) gauge to 100% again after?
JonnyHotBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #48
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Change you DIC to read oil life %. Then press the center button. It will ask you if you want to reset your oil reading.

From the manual:

Remaining Oil Life
This display shows an estimate
of the oil’s remaining useful life.
If Remaining Oil Life 99% is
displayed, that means 99% of
the current oil life remains.
When the remaining oil life is low,
the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON
message will appear on the

display. See
Engine Oil Messages
on page 4-32

. The oil should
changed as soon as possible.
See

Engine Oil on page 9-10.
In addition to the engine oil life
system monitoring the oil life,
additional maintenance is
recommended in the Maintenance
Schedule in this manual.
See

Scheduled Maintenance on
page 10-2

for more information.
Remember, the Oil Life display
must be reset after each oil change.
It will not reset itself. Also, be
careful not to reset the Oil Life
display accidentally at any time
other than when the oil has
just been changed. It cannot be
reset accurately until the next
oil change. To reset the engine oil
life system press the SET button
while the Oil Life display is active.
See

Engine Oil Life System on
page 9-13

Old 12-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #49
Diocrew

Drives: 2011 - Camaro SIM 1LT
Thanks azamazonqueen for this DIY. My car is just about due for it's first oil change.
Diocrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #50
BryanC63

Drives: 2011 Camaro V6
Success

Just completed the first oil change on my 2011 v6! very fun, great guide. Kind of tough to get leverage on my big torque wrench on that oil pan nut beneath the car, but other than that it was smooth sailing.
BryanC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #51
Time

Drives: 2010 rs camaro
my local dealer charges $18.95, but that's not for synthetic oil. good price, but for the service i get there, its not worth it. next oil change I'll follow this procedure.

Question: is there a cabin hepa filter in the 2010 and how does one change it out?
Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #52
Frances

Drives: 2010 Black camaro 1LT
Send a message via Yahoo to Frances
Thumbs up oil change

[QUOTE=azamazonqueen;1768092]So I just did my first oil change this past weekend did this writeup since I had to piece it together for my V6 since it is NOT the same set up as the V8. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me and if I miss anything, just let me know and I'll add it to the writeup. I take no responsibility for anyone damaging their vehicle. If you are uncomfortable performing something like this, do yourself a favor and take it to someone who is. Special thanks to adub4185 for posting the V8 DIY oil change, bub for the filter pics so I knew I wasn't going crazy, and my dad for helping his daughter keep her car in shape (we rotated the tires too)!

What you need:
15 mm socket (for the oil plug)
24 mm or 15/16 in socket if you don't have it (for oil filter)
Extension
Wrench
Torque wrench
6 quarts of 5w-30 (I use fully synthetic)
Oil Filter (ACDelco PF2129, K&N HP-7003, Wix 57090, Fram CH8765 or look up in index most places carry--thanks kb9wte)
Oil Tub
Towels
Funnel
Car ramps or jack and stands
Blocks (for rear tires)
  • Warm the car up to get the oil flowing. Be careful, if you do it to long its going to burn when you start working. I usually do a quick turn of the neighborhood to line it up with the car ramps.
  • Lift the front of the car. We have car ramps for the front wheels. Set the emergency brake and block the rear wheels.
  • Pop the hood. Open up the oil cap. Dip stick of you want.

• Time to go under!!! You will find the oil plug on the passenger side of the pan actually on the side. Mine had the yellow mark on it.

• Place the oil tub under. Have it over to the passenger side tire a little since when it comes out it projects a bit (a lot this second time around!). Use the 15mm socket and loosen.
  • Let the oil drain. Clean off the plug with a clean towel.
  • Now onto the filter while the pan is emptying (you can do it this way, or close it up and then move to the filter--your choice!). This creeped me out at first when I bought it. I had a 99 Camaro and expected the filter to be in a housing—not anymore. Also, it is NOT under the car. Thanks to bub for posting pics so I knew where I was looking. The housing is on the drivers side next to the engine cover.

• Us the 24mm socket and extension to take off the top of the housing. Oil filter should come off with it.
  • Pop the filter off the housing top and let both drain. Clean off the housing too and all threads.
  • Use some oil to lub up the oil ring around the upper housing piece. Pop the new filter into the top piece.
  • Start it off by hand. Tighten to 25 Newton meters (it even says that on the top of the housing) with the torque wrench (or 18.5 ft-lbs--thanks Texhawk)

• Back Underneath! Once oil is down to a drip, wipe off the area and replace the plug using your hand (avoid stripping!). I tightened it as far as I could then use the wrench. Adub4185 says to torque the plug to 18 lb-ft at least for the V8 (this is now confirm by the Camaro Bible--HELM). (if you know the specification for the V6 let me know!)
  • Get all your new oil together and a funnel. The tube is curved (see pic below) so take it easy when pouring the oil in since the funnel probably will not fit perfectly.
  • put on and tighten the oil cap and place the dipstick back in if you removed it. Close the hood, remove the blocks, lower the car, put all your tools away and your done! Start your car up and check for leaks. If there are any, kill the engine and tighten up anything lose. Make sure to dispose of the used oil properly, Auto Zone is a fav of mine.
[/QUOTTE]
Thanks--this was what I needed, fixing to stat changing my oil the next oil change,bought the ramps, looked underneath my car last night to check it out, couldn't find the oil filter, after reading your post it will be easy!!!
Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #53
Mrvnmartian

Drives: 2010 SGM 1LT (Manual)
Cabin Filter

Time: There is a Cabin filter. I ordered some last week, can't beat the price. Here is the thread with a pic of where to find this filter.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
my local dealer charges $18.95, but that's not for synthetic oil. good price, but for the service i get there, its not worth it. next oil change I'll follow this procedure.

Question: is there a cabin hepa filter in the 2010 and how does one change it out?
Mods: Flowmaster, Solar Gard Window Tint, Front Bowtie from Gary's Customs, Green LED dome & trunk lights from AAC, Painted calipers used G2 paint, Emblem Pro underhood bowtie, Stealth Bulb turn signals.
Mrvnmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #54
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Ignore this, ddumb question on my part....
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #55
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Spoke to my local Chevy dealer, they want $90.00 for a Mobil 1 Syn oil change. I was like WTH really!!! The service manager said that was before tax. I had to walk outside to ensure I was not at a BMW dealership.
Thank you for the DIY with pictures. If it were'nt for you posting pics I would of been looking for the oil filter under the car. LOL. Not to mention it took me 15 minutes to find the battery.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #56
usranger80

Drives: 2011 1LT "Bumblebee"
Thanks for the DIY made everything very easy, picked up 6 qts Mobil 1 EP and Wix filter at O'Reily's for 34.95 (they have a sale going on right now) and was able to finish in about an hour and a half, that was with eating supper while the oil drained....one thing I need to pick up is a 1/2 socket extender for the filter...guess I don't have one. Thanks again.

Tags
camaro, change, filter, oil, v6 oil