Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #43
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
GUYS which brace is this #22863503.

L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #44
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
GUYS which brace is this #22863503.

That's the ZL1 Strut tower brace.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #45
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
GM PART # 25954415
CATEGORY: Rear Wheel Hub/Knuckle

We only need 2 of these. They are expensive though. I wonder why they are different from SS. To connect to the beefier 1LE and ZL1 axle? Will I still need this if I don't upgrade the diff and axle? nak3dsnake thanks for putting this list together.
Only 2? The ZL1 has them on all four. Supposed to have heavier duty bearings in the hubs compared to the standard ones.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #46
Sleepy

Drives: 2011 LS M6 SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
Only 2? The ZL1 has them on all four. Supposed to have heavier duty bearings in the hubs compared to the standard ones.
I was just going by the description "rear wheel". Do the front have a different part # or the same? Maybe the description is just wrong.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #47
Kent2010

Drives: Camaro SS
Anyone know if the "ZL1/1LE Rear Toe Links" listed are just HD versions of the SS toe links, or is there some other change?
Kent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #48
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
I was referring to the front lower control arms and front radius arms. I believe BMW 3 series also use double ball joint MacPherson strut design similar to Camaro.
OK, now I see what you were getting at. Maybe it's my age showing, but when I hear about multiple ball joints and camber together all I "see" is some sort of short-long arm arrangement with ball joints at the upper and lower ends of the steering knuckle.

Quote:
Is there any advantage to this design? Looks like it increases the kingpin inclination angle and move dave point out. I am guessing better on center steering feel and straight line stability are the benefits.
The reasons are most likely for improved high speed stability and reduced steering kickback.

Geometrically, a double-pivot arrangement separates the KPI a little further from strut inclination, and it's the strut inclination rather than KPI that goes into determining the geometric roll center and front view swing arm geometry.

I guess if you're going to borrow a few suspension details from another mfr, you could do a whole lot worse than crib from BMW (who started using the double pivot strut arrangement at least as far back as 1980). Other US domestic mfrs have come up with suspension components that look an awful lot like parts sourced from different BMW models.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-22-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #49
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent2010 View Post
Anyone know if the "ZL1/1LE Rear Toe Links" listed are just HD versions of the SS toe links, or is there some other change?
They are the same stamped steel toe link found on any other SS. The difference is instead of soft bushings they have rubber encapsulated rose joints. Pic is from Pedders.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #50
nak3dsnake

Quote:
GM PART # 25954415
CATEGORY: Rear Wheel Hub/Knuckle

We only need 2 of these. They are expensive though. I wonder why they are different from SS. To connect to the beefier 1LE and ZL1 axle? Will I still need this if I don't upgrade the diff and axle? nak3dsnake thanks for putting this list together.
Yeah, its shows the same part number on all four wheels. One labeled front wheel hub, the other rear. But it comes up as Rear Wheel hub whenever I search for it.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #51
Synner

Drives: cars
Will be ordering the shock mounts although the prices listed are a bit low. I think that's the metal with no bushing. Will have more info when they arrive but it will be 2 weeks or so.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #52
Synner

And the hubs have larger bearings to handle side loads while road racing. Doubt ill get those in the near future though.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #53
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Will be ordering the shock mounts although the prices listed are a bit low. I think that's the metal with no bushing. Will have more info when they arrive but it will be 2 weeks or so.
Yeah, its just the metal mount. No other bushings or hardware. Hopefully they don't differ so much that we have to order more.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #54
Synner

It's the stiffer bushing that should be the primary benefit to minimize deflection. Will post what I find out when they show up
Old 08-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #55
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Did not see the sway bar mount brackets and bushings on the list. I have a 2012 and the bars are3- 4 mm smaller then the 1le(27+28) Are they using the same SS units?
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #56
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Did not see the sway bar mount brackets and bushings on the list. I have a 2012 and the bars are3- 4 mm smaller then the 1le(27+28) Are they using the same SS units?
Those who have already ordered parts discovered the bars come with the bushing and brackets already on. The bushings are a little bigger than the standard SS, and the brackets are as well to accommodate the new bushings.