Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #29
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgraph View Post
Just an update, got mine fixed under warranty at my dealership this morning, they changed the fluid in the rear in accordance with PI#09-04-20-001E and it's fine now.
Good Afternoon gdgraph,

We regret to hear you were experiencing this vibration concern in your Camaro, and do apologize for any inconvenience caused. If you come across any other questions or concerns in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out. We're always happy to help!

Kindly,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 12-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #30
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxielvr View Post
My 2016 started with the rubbing noise at 1,500 miles. The dealer insisted there was nothing wrong with the car. I had them keep the car for a week, they replaced the fluid and said it was fixed. It made the noise on the way home. After multiple visits, they ultimately replaced the entire rear differential and it seems to have fixed the problem.
Hi doxielvr,

We're glad to hear your Camaro seems to be working properly now, but can understand how multiple trips to the dealer might be frustrating. If we can be of any additional assistance at this time, please let us know!

Have a great day,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 12-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #31
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hi doxielvr,

We're glad to hear your Camaro seems to be working properly now, but can understand how multiple trips to the dealer might be frustrating. If we can be of any additional assistance at this time, please let us know!

Have a great day,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I can tell you that it IS VERY frustrating.

I dropped my car off for service this past Monday morning with 3 issues hoping to get it back before I go back to work next week and on Wednesday I called them since I had not heard anything and at that point they had done nothing.

The 2 issues that were 'mechanical' they said they could not replicate - one was uneven braking and the other was the differential rubbing. I said that I would come in and take them for a test ride since I was sure that I could demonstrate the issues.

I took a tech for about a 2 mile ride and he heard the differential rubbing noise a few times and when we got back he confirmed to the person that I was working with that he 'definitely heard them'. They said they were going to look into it. I also gave them the service bulletin # that was noted on this site.

Fast forward to today.....no word from them so I called and they said that that a different tech drove the car and said everything sounded normal and they were not doing anything.......

What was the point of me going back and demonstrating the issue to a tech if they were just going to have someone else drive it again??? It doesn't happen on every turn, it is intermittent, especially on short drives.

One of the other issues, he said that they did find a roter that had an issue and was resurfacing it tonight (after blowing off the issue on their initial test drive).

The last issue was the trunk not aligning correctly caused paint chips on the car and he said today that he hopes I can wait until their paint dept is up and running in hopefully a few weeks or they can send it away to some distant shop if I can't wait. WTH? This was the first mention of them themselves not being able to fix it while they had it this week.

To summarize:

Tomorrow will be the 6th day that they had my car and they want me to pick it up, I'll have to take my car back 'at some point' to get the paint chips fixed and I have no doubt that I will need to go back at some point to get the differential fixed but I guess the differential is going to have to fall off before they do anything.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:40 AM   #32
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin803 View Post
I can tell you that it IS VERY frustrating.

I dropped my car off for service this past Monday morning with 3 issues hoping to get it back before I go back to work next week and on Wednesday I called them since I had not heard anything and at that point they had done nothing.

The 2 issues that were 'mechanical' they said they could not replicate - one was uneven braking and the other was the differential rubbing. I said that I would come in and take them for a test ride since I was sure that I could demonstrate the issues.

I took a tech for about a 2 mile ride and he heard the differential rubbing noise a few times and when we got back he confirmed to the person that I was working with that he 'definitely heard them'. They said they were going to look into it. I also gave them the service bulletin # that was noted on this site.

Fast forward to today.....no word from them so I called and they said that that a different tech drove the car and said everything sounded normal and they were not doing anything.......

What was the point of me going back and demonstrating the issue to a tech if they were just going to have someone else drive it again??? It doesn't happen on every turn, it is intermittent, especially on short drives.

One of the other issues, he said that they did find a roter that had an issue and was resurfacing it tonight (after blowing off the issue on their initial test drive).

The last issue was the trunk not aligning correctly caused paint chips on the car and he said today that he hopes I can wait until their paint dept is up and running in hopefully a few weeks or they can send it away to some distant shop if I can't wait. WTH? This was the first mention of them themselves not being able to fix it while they had it this week.

To summarize:

Tomorrow will be the 6th day that they had my car and they want me to pick it up, I'll have to take my car back 'at some point' to get the paint chips fixed and I have no doubt that I will need to go back at some point to get the differential fixed but I guess the differential is going to have to fall off before they do anything.
GM service might be the worst of any car maker. I have have owned nissan, infiniti,toyota,bmw,ford.....They all treated me with respect, and did what was necessary to fix my issues. My 2016 camaro though??? 3 dealers, and they all suck. Last GM for me.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:03 AM   #33
Mck9898

Drives: 1997 Camaro ss, 2017 Camaro ss 1Le
rubbing sound issue

i know this is going to sound weird, but here is a possible cause of that pesky rear end sound. if you have a car in the north remember you are buying the ss with RACE rated tires on them, if they are cold 40 degrees or less the tires start to split causing the sound, if changed to all season tires the sound Will go away. The Dealers Should Have told you that when you bought them.

also if you store these cars outside in freezing weather they will nearly shatter the tires,
1997 CAMARO SS SLP 5.7 LT1 MN6 build #2263
2017 ss 1Le
Mck9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:18 AM   #34
merlin803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mck9898 View Post
i know this is going to sound weird, but here is a possible cause of that pesky rear end sound. if you have a car in the north remember you are buying the ss with RACE rated tires on them, if they are cold 40 degrees or less the tires start to split causing the sound, if changed to all season tires the sound Will go away. The Dealers Should Have told you that when you bought them.

also if you store these cars outside in freezing weather they will nearly shatter the tires,
In my specific case, I have all season tires and this is the second winter with them. I didn't have the noise until I got to about 8,000 miles. It is only when turning and even then, it is intermittent.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:26 AM   #35
Mck9898

perfect... id be ripped
2017 ss 1Le
Old 12-31-2016, 10:40 AM   #36
Mck9898

after seeing these issues i will happily hold on to my lil ole gen 4 lol, let me know when there are fixed
2017 ss 1Le
Old 12-31-2016, 10:45 AM   #37
merlin803

Quote:
after seeing these issues i will happily hold on to my lil ole gen 4 lol, let me know when there are fixed
I don't want to give any prospective buyers the wrong impression, it is still worth it

These were relatively minor and didn't impact my ability to drive the car, it is more an indictment of the service, which should have fixed them in a day or two.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:49 AM   #38
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Just to follow up with my particular situation:

- Car has about 4,500mi on it, brought it in because the clutches in the rear diff were sticking and caused the car to vibrate on sharp turns. It was fairly bad.
- My dealership could not replicate the issue because it only occurred when the car was cold, so they replaced the rear diff fluid.
- Came back a week latter because it didn't fix the issue, it is not as bad but still sticks and I can feel it. Dealer told me to give it a few hundred miles and it should go away, but couldn't explain why. To me that makes no sense, but I'll give it a try and if that doesn't work I'm going back.

So that's where I am today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Good Afternoon gdgraph,

We regret to hear you were experiencing this vibration concern in your Camaro, and do apologize for any inconvenience caused. If you come across any other questions or concerns in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out. We're always happy to help!

Kindly,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:51 AM   #39
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
97 SS has always been one of my favorites. I would hang on to that.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:23 AM   #40
Mck9898

I have driven the gen 6 ss manual, i loved it dont get me wrong, the only thing i did not like was the placement of the drive mode buttonn, with the short shifter, i have a low arm shifting i kept hitting the friggen thing lol would have to change my ways a little lol,
Ill never let my 97 ss go... but money is a powerful persuader for the right offer id let her go
2017 ss 1Le
Old 12-31-2016, 12:53 PM   #41
GAHDOOSH
GAHDOOSH

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Description: Vehicle making godawful rubbing noise from the rear end while turning during first few minutes of driving.

Took mine in today, they didn't even listen to the noise after I described it to them. They are a Chevy and a Cadillac dealer so I guess they've seen this one a time or two.

Drained the rear diff fluid, replaced with new fluid (with what they told me was a "LSD additive") and checked the drained fluid for metal bits.

3 hours. Will post results here

2016 1SS 6.2L LT1 Manual 6-Speed, Front Emblem Blackout, Rear Bowtie Delete, Side emblem delete, Phastek Side Marker Tint, GM Black Taillights, $23.57 of Premium Gas this morning

GAHDOOSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:19 PM   #42
Mikeyt03
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2016
Quote:

You are incorrect my friend. The noise you are referring to is called tire scrub. It happens in colder weather but it doesnt mean the tires are cracking or splitting. It's the tire skipping against the pavement when doing lower speed maneuvering.

Certain tires can crack and split in cold weather as your describing and GM has service bulletins about this, but every car I've had with this warning has been fine in the winter in VA.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote