Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
VictoryRed08

Drives: 08 Cobalt LT2,
Camaro Twin Turbo for Sale

For those of you who are looking to mod their car significantly, Aerocharger is supposed to offer a Twin Turbo for the Camaro.

http://hiperturbo.readyhosting.com/store/page8.html

I saw this video a couple days ago for a twin turbo mod on a G8 that had a rather significant horsepower increase. I decided to inquire ago it for the camaro, and apparently they are going to offer it.

Victory
Old 04-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to gotpball44
pretty cool find
gotpball44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
what is Nirtos? lol

and they have the turbo kit for free!!!!
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
That's faster than a ZR1!! Impressive.
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfansince73 View Post
That's faster than a ZR1!! Impressive.
That's not the kit they are selling...the one they are selling achieves a 12 second ET @ 118 mph. You'll have to crank up the boost to run the 11.1 @ 130 and although they have made several passes on that level of boost, even they don't recommend running it like that 24/7. They turned down the boost to 7-8psi and made 449 rwhp...that's how they run it on the street...and that's the "street kit" they are selling. Its definitely a nice kit, but understand its essentially $10K, and probably will put down a little over 500 rwhp @ 7psi. H/C/I package is more like 4-5K and will put down a little over 500 rwhp. Now I'm not saying that H/C/I is necessarily a better mod, or even more bang for the buck, but unless you plan to run a level of boost like the "race" kit, the twins at 7psi will only EDGE the NA application and at a significant price premium.

FYI...
New ERA is offering a GEN TT Kit for $6500 for G8 which I'm sure could be grafted to the Camaro...
Intense Racing also has a Turbo G8 Kit for which I'm sure a Camaro kit could be made as well, Although their build was $$$ I'm sure.
Here is a recent thread on what INTENSE did with TT G8 GXP kit which should give you a little better idea of what the kit would do on the Camaro...Pretty impressive stuff...If you want a nice street car this would make a nice set up (I don't know what their kit costs though)...but if you plan to road course your car, a TT kit may not be the best option.

Last edited by pharmd; 04-11-2009 at 09:02 PM.
pharmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
That's not the kit they are selling...the one they are selling achieves a 12 second ET @ 118 mph. You'll have to crank up the boost to run the 11.1 @ 130 and although they have made several passes on that level of boost, even they don't recommend running it like that 24/7. They turned down the boost to 7-8psi and made 449 rwhp...that's how they run it on the street...and that's the "street kit" they are selling. Its definitely a nice kit, but understand its essentially $10K, and probably will put down a little over 500 rwhp @ 7psi. H/C/I package is more like 4-5K and will put down a little over 500 rwhp. Now I'm not saying that H/C/I is necessarily a better mod, or even more bang for the buck, but unless you plan to run a level of boost like the "race" kit, the twins at 7psi will only EDGE the NA application and at a significant price premium.

FYI...
New ERA is offering a GEN TT Kit for $6500 for G8 which I'm sure could be grafted to the Camaro...
Intense Racing also has a Turbo G8 Kit for which I'm sure a Camaro kit could be made as well, Although their build was $$$ I'm sure.
Here is a recent thread on what INTENSE did with TT G8 GXP kit which should give you a little better idea of what the kit would do on the Camaro...Pretty impressive stuff...If you want a nice street car this would make a nice set up (I don't know what their kit costs though)...but if you plan to road course your car, a TT kit may not be the best option.
Lots of engine talk and unfortunately I know nothing about engines.
WTF is H/C/I?

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Lots of engine talk and unfortunately I know nothing about engines.
WTF is H/C/I?
Heads/Cam/Intake. Yeah, the number of acronyms in this place is almost ridiculous, although that one is very common. Do a search for acronyms and you'll see a page with all the lingo from this forum and everywhere else.
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
Heads/Cam/Intake. Yeah, the number of acronyms in this place is almost ridiculous, although that one is very common. Do a search for acronyms and you'll see a page with all the lingo from this forum and everywhere else.
Gotchya. Yes it is. The most rediculous I've seen is that stupid ABL acronym for Ambient Lighting... seriously? just write it.

But thank you. And since I know what it is now, how much horsepower would those three things give you? Because that 10K does a pretty incredible piece of magic on those LS3 numbers.

Semper Fi!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:18 AM   #9
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Gotchya. Yes it is. The most rediculous I've seen is that stupid ABL acronym for Ambient Lighting... seriously? just write it.

But thank you. And since I know what it is now, how much horsepower would those three things give you? Because that 10K does a pretty incredible piece of magic on those LS3 numbers.
Good LS3 CNC heads ~$2K, manual tranny cam $450 (auto more like $700 with phaser kit for VVT), LSXR intake ~$1K...Labor is extra of course, as well are gaskets.

2K + 1K + 450 + 80 (head gasket) +? for install (fluids etc)= $3520 + labor for H/C/I...in a 6sp manual you should be well over 500rwhp, auto should be right at 500rwhp...#'s would be cam dependent of course.
pharmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
I belive ADM Performace posted 1900-2300 for a cam install/tune, which I believed included the cam, valve springs and retainers, and labor. And like pharmd said, about $2000 for good heads, $1000 for intake. But don't forget the Cold Air Intake (CAI), which is going to be around $400, and you're going to need an exhaust to match that H/C/I ($2000 for headers/catback).

ADM showed one of their dyno graphs for an LS3, stock displacement, with their heads and cam, and headers of some sort that put down 515 rwhp. So really, if you wanted to save a grand and give up about 10-15 rwhp (the LSXr only gained 14 peak hp at the MOTOR in testing, though gains would be bigger with a cammed engine), I'd say don't worry about that intake, just stay stock.

So total:
$2300 cam installed/tune
$2500 for heads/install (total guess - 2000 heads, 500 install assuming the same shop does this that does your cam)
$2000 headers/catback (assuming self install)
$400 CAI (also self installed)
----------------------------------------------
$7200 for 515 rwhp, or about 150 more than stock. Obviously you could save an easy 1500 if you do it all yourself. And 2000 if you stay with stock heads. Many people have put down around 500 rwhp with stock heads.

Boy did this thread get off topic! Sorry!
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #11
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
I belive ADM Performace posted 1900-2300 for a cam install/tune, which I believed included the cam, valve springs and retainers, and labor. And like pharmd said, about $2000 for good heads, $1000 for intake. But don't forget the Cold Air Intake (CAI), which is going to be around $400, and you're going to need an exhaust to match that H/C/I ($2000 for headers/catback).

ADM showed one of their dyno graphs for an LS3, stock displacement, with their heads and cam, and headers of some sort that put down 515 rwhp. So really, if you wanted to save a grand and give up about 10-15 rwhp (the LSXr only gained 14 peak hp at the MOTOR in testing, though gains would be bigger with a cammed engine), I'd say don't worry about that intake, just stay stock.

So total:
$2300 cam installed/tune
$2500 for heads/install (total guess - 2000 heads, 500 install assuming the same shop does this that does your cam)
$2000 headers/catback (assuming self install)
$400 CAI (also self installed)
----------------------------------------------
$7200 for 515 rwhp, or about 150 more than stock. Obviously you could save an easy 1500 if you do it all yourself. And 2000 if you stay with stock heads. Many people have put down around 500 rwhp with stock heads.

Boy did this thread get off topic! Sorry!
Which is why if you can find a TT kit like New Era's or from Intense for around $6500,
You probably have a pretty good value. The TT kit is tunable with boost control, and
You really only need a catback with it. So keep the cost down you would have to do the install
Yourself though. But you could certainl make as much or more power. The issue for me
Is how that power is delivered though. You can create a H/C combo that makes power in
A linear fashion which is very controlable, a boosted application however will certainly
Be more peaky in its power production, and with the heat they generate it would not
Necessarily be ideal if you want to road course the car. Either way would be loads of fun though!!
Old 04-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #12
TT C6
Banned

Drives: C6, 96 383ci Z28 hardtop
Front Mount Turbos are the most efficient and best performing. Their boost delivery is NOT RPM dependent.
BUT, they are significantly more complicated and expensive than a belt driven supercharger.
ECS has perected centri systems and deliver low end power, But, the TVS 2300 from the ZR1 seems like a no-brainer for a Camaro/G8 that sees track time.

If you want to best, and you have the money, go twins.
I highly recommend reaching out to Turbo Technologies in Washington state if you want a twin turbo for your Camaro or G8. The TTi-X system is the best TT available for the Corvette. I don't even want to discuss the shady characters at APS and their history. (Dave Inall)
TT C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #13
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT C6 View Post
Front Mount Turbos are the most efficient and best performing. Their boost delivery is NOT RPM dependent.
BUT, they are significantly more complicated and expensive than a belt driven supercharger.
ECS has perected centri systems and deliver low end power, But, the TVS 2300 from the ZR1 seems like a no-brainer for a Camaro/G8 that sees track time.

If you want to best, and you have the money, go twins.
I highly recommend reaching out to Turbo Technologies in Washington state if you want a twin turbo for your Camaro or G8. The TTi-X system is the best TT available for the Corvette. I don't even want to discuss the shady characters at APS and their history. (Dave Inall)
Yeah, thats kinda how I was thinking. It seems like doing all kinds of mods to the engine itself with new heads and all that is a little risky. Putting down a little extra change for the TT, a system that is mostly dependent of the engine is a safer, more reliable way to go.

But shady characters??? Who gives about their personal life and such. They make a good product and I want it.

Semper Fi!
Old 04-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #14
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
see this is what I mean by posting on the mod threads.

I'm lucky i didn't miss this.

You guys need to let me know about stuff like this so I can post it on my threads.

(check sig)