Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 04-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #15
BandRcAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Frank: How do you keep your car in place when doing the burnout if you dont hit the brakes? Am i missing out on a secret? lol
Old 04-18-2018, 03:22 PM   #16
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandRcAMARO View Post
Frank: How do you keep your car in place when doing the burnout if you dont hit the brakes? Am i missing out on a secret? lol
He posted his video - he just rolls out of the water with the tires spinning. That's enough heat for him. If you want more heat, you'll need to go to the brake to hold the car, but you'll have plenty of time to do that after you turn them loose - the car doesn't shoot forward.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #17
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
at my track we have to drive thru the water...can't go around...the tech stops you after your rear tires have cleared the water box....when directed in 2nd gear..all nannies off or fuses pulled....do a clutch drop at about 4k or so...tires spin up quick and I usually see my shift light briefly...tire speed is way the f up there...this heats up the tires FAST so you can get back out of the clutch....literally move about 5 ft and then clutch in...

so far has worked perfect for me...if I can get the tire to move on the rim I would say that the tire has plenty of heat in it(and they were mounted with bead lock!)...all I do now is play with psi and rpm...

hopefully this Sundays weather is cooperative...I really want to get my 11 sec time slip...all the cam install parts are HERE!

peace...
Old 04-18-2018, 06:40 PM   #18
str8wick3d

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
congrats on the cam! I love mine so far, I think its coming down to me not giving it enough RPM and wanting to be to easy on her. Trust me this friday I am going to let it rip. Just worried about the burnout still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
at my track we have to drive thru the water...can't go around...the tech stops you after your rear tires have cleared the water box....when directed in 2nd gear..all nannies off or fuses pulled....do a clutch drop at about 4k or so...tires spin up quick and I usually see my shift light briefly...tire speed is way the f up there...this heats up the tires FAST so you can get back out of the clutch....literally move about 5 ft and then clutch in...

so far has worked perfect for me...if I can get the tire to move on the rim I would say that the tire has plenty of heat in it(and they were mounted with bead lock!)...all I do now is play with psi and rpm...

hopefully this Sundays weather is cooperative...I really want to get my 11 sec time slip...all the cam install parts are HERE!

peace...
str8wick3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:06 AM   #19
BandRcAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Ahh gotcha, my local strip has me go around the water box then back in. With my new drag setup this year I will def try that method though, if the tires cooperate lol also shooting for that 11.9X this season, if we ever open our tracks here in Michigan, so far all have been delayed 2-3 weeks....
Old 04-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #20
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandRcAMARO View Post
Ahh gotcha, my local strip has me go around the water box then back in. With my new drag setup this year I will def try that method though, if the tires cooperate lol also shooting for that 11.9X this season, if we ever open our tracks here in Michigan, so far all have been delayed 2-3 weeks....
Yea, I always go around the water and then back in - those big 275s on the front will drag all kinds of water out on the track.

I'd like to get on a good set of tires and notch a sub 12 second slip just to say that I did it with just bolt ons, but the cam install is in about two weeks, and with the weather we've been having most of the tracks won't even be open between now and then. Oh well, we'll just skip about a second of ET and move into the mid 11's.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:22 AM   #21
frankwjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Yea, I always go around the water and then back in - those big 275s on the front will drag all kinds of water out on the track.

I'd like to get on a good set of tires and notch a sub 12 second slip just to say that I did it with just bolt ons, but the cam install is in about two weeks, and with the weather we've been having most of the tracks won't even be open between now and then. Oh well, we'll just skip about a second of ET and move into the mid 11's.
you doin the work? sure wish you were closer so it was easier for you to get to my track...

did you ever get sum rear DR's/slicks? peace

sry OP...lol
Old 04-19-2018, 08:39 AM   #22
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
you doin the work? sure wish you were closer so it was easier for you to get to my track...

did you ever get sum rear DR's/slicks? peace

sry OP...lol
Tuner is gonna stab it in for me - I'd like to, but my schedule is out of control and I'd probably miss half the season. He'll probably do a better job, too.

I'm working on a few different options for slicks. I have a set of 325/40/18 M&H drag radials on ZL1 18x11's at my disposal. My buddy just picked 'em up for his ZL1, but said he'd be happy to let me make some hits on them. I'll probably try them and see what I think.

I've got another buddy with a set of 305/35/20 Mickey ET S/S that I might pop on my current wheels. A 305 on a 9" wheel is a bit much, but apparently a lot of guys toss them on their stock wheels and do ok.

So, I'm hoping trying those two different setups will give me some more input into what I will end up doing. Ultimately, I'd like to be on something like a 275/40/17 to bring the overall gear ratio down a bunch more - but I do like the idea of matching wheels.

I really need to pop some solid mounts in place of the stock bushings in the rear sub-frame - that thing feels like it moves all over under load/unload situations. Diff already has BMRs heavier bushings in it - didn't help much, probably more the cradle than the diff.

Maybe we can plan a meet some time for a weekend or something and all go make passes. I have some friends down that way I could probably stay with. Would be fun.

Last edited by acammer; 04-19-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #23
frankwjr

you bet! and I have a bed in the basement if ya don't mind the spiders....lulz...l8tr!
Old 04-20-2018, 10:29 PM   #24
str8wick3d

update... Ran again tonight. I attempted a burn out in 2nd and they did spin. I was properly backed into the water box but i hit the breaks to hard and stalled lol. I then tried again with 1st and cant lie they shredded. I will just do a rolling burnout in 2nd next time. I have installed my 2step but it is on a toggle switch right now cause I am waiting on my shiftdawg knob with button to arrive so didn't use it. anyways my top speed increased to 93mph but still only ran a 8.39 and could only manage a 2.2 60ft still. First time slip run I ignored the green and focused on launching. Slipped the clutch at 4k rpm and I think i slipped it a little to slow because it stuck to the floor and I had to bring it back with my toes. ( stilled managed 93mph ). Launch was still bad though it bogged. 2nd slip and against opponent I launched at 5k and slipped quick and it blew the tires off and spun all of 1st. I think I found my medium atleast. 4.5k might just be the sweet spot but I am not going to run again until I flush my clutch/break fluid and get the momentary in.

Last edited by str8wick3d; 04-20-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:55 PM   #25
str8wick3d

https://youtu.be/JwfChAc6TXY

Video of run with clutch sticking to the floor.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:07 PM   #26
frankwjr

that's what happens with bad/old fluid...hopefully the slave is O.K....I also did a 4 corner brake bleed AFTER getting the reservoir cleaned up first!

what was your psi? it all becomes a ballet of sorts after a while...at least for me...from helmet/camera on to burn out to stage...I try to do it the same way...eliminate as many variables as you can so you only need to focus on tree, rpm, psi and drop that f'in clutch and let it do it's job! lol..

peace

btw - you did let the clutch cool at least 15-20 min between runs..right?
Old 04-20-2018, 11:12 PM   #27
str8wick3d

Quote:
that's what happens with bad/old fluid...hopefully the slave is O.K....I also did a 4 corner brake bleed AFTER getting the reservoir cleaned up first!

what was your psi? it all becomes a ballet of sorts after a while...at least for me...from helmet/camera on to burn out to stage...I try to do it the same way...eliminate as many variables as you can so you only need to focus on tree, rpm, psi and drop that f'in clutch and let it do it's job! lol..

peace

btw - you did let the clutch cool at least 15-20 min between runs..right?
18psi, and yeah I wait 20 mins min before runs and pop the hood to help cool in between.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #28
frankwjr

Depending on your D/R's(which ones do you have again)..plan on droppin the psi...

tomorrow weather permitting(looks good wahoo) I am going to 12 psi right out of the gate...last session I was at 13 and was still gettin too much spin outta the hole....

vids to follow...peace