Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-14-2018, 01:20 PM   #15
Marklar

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Bullet View Post
When I replaced my diffuser, I wasn't worried about the stock one do it ended up breaking... would've be a pain if I tried to save it. Putting in the new one is a pieceof cake, dont pay someone else to instal it
Since you did yours yourself I fell like maybe you can answer my question. If I don't care about breaking the tabs off, can I just rip and yank at the old diffuser? Or you you think I would risk damaging the mounting location of the new one..? The guide I linked above shows going into meticulous detail about holding towels between a screwdriver to carefully pull the tabs away and I'm just thinking "I would just yank at it and hope I don't break anything" lol.
Marklar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #16
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
If you yank on it, the tabs will break but I dont think the mounting holes will have any effect. But also when you yank on it you may be pulling on the actual rear bumper mounting locations.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #17
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Just look at how the tabs are and pull accordingly. Theyre more stout than you think. I did it in my driveway at night years ago. Just make sure you get the screws out first (if memory serves, there are screws, but again, it's been about 4 years)

Also, again to be noted, any exhaust will need modification to accept quad tips. Whether that is changing the pipe angle before or after the muffler, it needs to be changed a tad regardless.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #18
Yellow Bullet

Drives: 2017 Chevy Sonic RS 1.4T
DO NOT JUST YANK!! It will ruin the mounting slots for the tabs. What I was saying is to have all the pressure on the actual diffuser, the 2 middle tabs are a b*#$%

It took me a good 30 min. even when breaking the diffuser, as long as you don't damage the rear bumber cover.

2017 Sonic Mosaic Black RS 1.4T
Yellow Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:08 AM   #19
Marklar

Quote:
DO NOT JUST YANK!! It will ruin the mounting slots for the tabs. What I was saying is to have all the pressure on the actual diffuser, the 2 middle tabs are a b*#$%
Haha, thank for the tips guys. I got it done last night in a little over an hour. I broke a couple tabs, but that's to be expected after 6ish years. Installing the 1LE diffuser was super easy though. I'm excited for my new tips, my current exhaust outlet is right under my diffuser so the old one was caked with black soot.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:43 AM   #20
Yellow Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
Haha, thank for the tips guys. I got it done last night in a little over an hour. I broke a couple tabs, but that's to be expected after 6ish years. Installing the 1LE diffuser was super easy though. I'm excited for my new tips, my current exhaust outlet is right under my diffuser so the old one was caked with black soot.
Nice!!! Post pictures after she's done and just ask if you have any more questions

Old 06-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #21
Marklar

Quote:
Nice!!! Post pictures after she's done and just ask if you have any more questions
Will do! I made sure to get some good before pictures. Things got pushed back a bit so the shop will be doing the work Monday instead of today. So expect pics sometime later this week.

Sorry to OP btw, I did not intend to hijack this thread lol
Old 06-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #22
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent114 View Post
Okay thank you guys. Do you know how much it'll cost? Is it worth doing?
Not worth doing. Sell you car and buy a 2SS if you want power gains and extra tips. A couple months ago I had the option (and would have saved money) by repairing my car with 4 tip exhaust, but it's pointless and adds weight. I'm all about performance and simplicity.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #23
mr_honez
Wifey Lover

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2LT/RS
Did it to my 2013. Definitely worth it IMHO. The muffler shop charged $100 to weld the NPP up. I would assume that putting just quad tips on the OEM mufflers would be the same or near that figure. I installed my rear valance myself afterwards. Not hard, just take your time. Made the car sound 1000% better. Not V8 better, but good enough until I swap over. Just tips won't do anything sound wise, but it sure makes the back end look great
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2018, 08:02 AM   #24
Marklar

I just got my car back today. It was $225 to weld on my current axle-back and add the quad tips. They didn't get me an itemized receipt so I can't say how much it was to just add the tips. They were not able to do the Hemholtz pipes like I originally talked about so that isn't included in the price.

It was a bit more expensive than I expected because they had to cut/weld the hangers to get the tips to line up properly with the new diffuser. I don't know if it was because of my set-up (with MRTv2s) or that the tips I bought weren't cut correctly, but if we just welded on the tips, the outside tailpipes would be pushing against the sides of the diffuser and would have melted it so I told them to go ahead and center it up, which added more welding and labor costs. I wonder if many other Camaro owners have had this problem because quad tips are a fairly popular mod.

So total it was $125 for the tips, ~$140 for the diffuser, and $225 for the work. $490 total.

I'll try to get pictures by tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #25
Marklar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOFORTYZ View Post
Not worth doing. Sell you car and buy a 2SS if you want power gains and extra tips. A couple months ago I had the option (and would have saved money) by repairing my car with 4 tip exhaust, but it's pointless and adds weight. I'm all about performance and simplicity.
If we all had a dollar for every time someone came in here said "DURR SHOULDA GOT A V8" everyone in this forum would be rich. Get out of here with that shit. This is v6 specific subforum and the people here are happy with their cars.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:09 AM   #26
Yellow Bullet

Quote:
I just got my car back today. It was $225 to weld on my current axle-back and add the quad tips. They didn't get me an itemized receipt so I can't say how much it was to just add the tips. They were not able to do the Hemholtz pipes like I originally talked about so that isn't included in the price.

It was a bit more expensive than I expected because they had to cut/weld the hangers to get the tips to line up properly with the new diffuser. I don't know if it was because of my set-up (with MRTv2s) or that the tips I bought weren't cut correctly, but if we just welded on the tips, the outside tailpipes would be pushing against the sides of the diffuser and would have melted it so I told them to go ahead and center it up, which added more welding and labor costs. I wonder if many other Camaro owners have had this problem because quad tips are a fairly popular mod.

So total it was $125 for the tips, ~$140 for the diffuser, and $225 for the work. $490 total.

There is nothing wrong, the quad and dual setup is different. It will need to be bent or the quad tips won't be center

Old 06-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #27
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Yeah, any exhaust will require pipes to be rebent before and after the mufflers for clearance for quad tips. Plus as the poster above me said, you need the NPP diffuser for the rear end.

Quote:

Quote:
Also, again to be noted, any exhaust will need modification to accept quad tips. Whether that is changing the pipe angle before or after the muffler, it needs to be changed a tad regardless.

Not being a dick or anything, just pointing out that I pointed it out more than once, so if anyone else comes across this thread, please be aware if adding quad tips the exhaust has to be modified.

Also, lol @ poster that said get an SS. NPP is a factory option on the V6, just like the V8. Both can have quad tips. Next.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #28
Marklar

Quote:
Not being a dick or anything, just pointing out that I pointed it out more than once
Word. I do remember seeing that. I must have thought you were talking about cutting off the existing tips or something equally trivial. Some users in here seemed to think it's just a matter of getting the new diffuser and adding new tips and that's it. Not that I'm bothered by it, I still think under 250 is reasonable for what I got done considering how poorly I did the original install myself.