Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #127
JusticePete
VIR Specialist

 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 20,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkster View Post
Yes.
The OE sway bar does not rotate in the OE bushings. They clamp down tight and the bar twists the rubber as part of the sway bar function. They should not make a sound. Check the mounting tabs on the struts. Look for cracks in the welds.

Last edited by JusticePete; 11-27-2017 at 02:38 PM.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:58 PM   #128
Minkster
 
Minkster's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS Camaro, 2011 Z07/Z06
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The OE sway bar does not rotate in the OE bushings. They clamp down tight and the bar twists the rubber as part of the sway bar function. They should not make a sound. Check the mounting tabs on the struts. Look for cracks in the welds.
I checked them best I could last time I torqued the end links and they looked solid (took 65 ft-lbs over-torque with no problems, movement, or sounds). Besides, wouldn't that work the brackets until they broke?
__________________
2011 SSB Z07 CFZ 3LZ Z06, 2004 SGM M3, 2013 SS Camaro, 1990 RC30, 1993 CBR900RR
Minkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #129
JusticePete
VIR Specialist

 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 20,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkster View Post
I checked them best I could last time I torqued the end links and they looked solid (took 65 ft-lbs over-torque with no problems, movement, or sounds). Besides, wouldn't that work the brackets until they broke?
That is what I am thinking, one of the brackets welded to the strut may be cracked at the weld and ready to break. It is really unusual for an OE sway bar to make a noise unless there is something wrong.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #130
Minkster
 
Minkster's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS Camaro, 2011 Z07/Z06
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
That is what I am thinking, one of the brackets welded to the strut may be cracked at the weld and ready to break. It is really unusual for an OE sway bar to make a noise unless there is something wrong.
Turned out to be the driver side front lower suspension arm. Rubber was shot, dealer replaced, all quiet again.
__________________
2011 SSB Z07 CFZ 3LZ Z06, 2004 SGM M3, 2013 SS Camaro, 1990 RC30, 1993 CBR900RR
Minkster is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5th Gen Suspension -- The Book JusticePete Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 151 05-07-2015 05:52 PM
Gap in front suspension nut after springs installed lelzie Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 9 07-11-2011 01:21 PM
Popping sound from front right side BaylorCamaro Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 8 01-12-2011 10:45 PM
GM Reveals 2011 Chevrolet Silverado HD FenwickHockey65 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 55 03-04-2010 01:56 PM
2010 Camaro SS V8 in Syracuse NY-FREE TRAVEL TO PICKUP Mitsubishi in Syracuse Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 0 12-10-2009 04:23 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.