Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #85
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Drives: A 4000 Lb BeaSSt
Thumbs up Bushings Are In!!

Bushings are in! Shifter is tighter than mosquito pu$$y! Install is a little involved and I did take some pics of how I did it. I will try and post them up today when I get home or tomorrow

Thanks again NH-SS for making these bushings for us
Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/6410Jrod
Follow me on Instagram: @J_Rod6410
J-Rod6410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #86
NH-SS

Drives: 2010 SS2,6M
Nice !!
NH-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:17 AM   #87
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
installing in the morning... cant wait.. been having trouble hitting first sometimes, yep first... hope taking the slop out helps....

Thanks for the fast ship... very well packaged... obviously you are compulsive about details... PERFECT.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:54 AM   #88
toml_pa
ʇuɐıʌǝp lɐıɔos

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/M6
Bushing received. Nice work.
toml_pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #89
TonyC66

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
pm sent
Old 06-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #90
L36L72LS3
Jersey Jeff

Drives: 1969 Camaro L89/T400 ~ 2015 ZL1
PM sent.

JerseyJeff
L36L72LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:34 AM   #91
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Again I can def say these bushings are simply amazing!! My car feels totally different. The last time I went to the track a month ago I was about to run a personal best time.....................but I missed 4th gear due to the slop

Well that shouldnt be a problem any more

First off these things look like jewelry..............beautiful and very precisely made. Eeven the packaging they came in and the instruction sheet is very professional and impressive

New bushings

First off I disconnected the linkage and removed the worn out cheap hurst bushings. Note that these are only a few months old

Notice the gap between the shifter pin and hurst bushing

PLEASE NOTE: I have been a professional auto repair tech for over 20 years. With that being said when you guys do this please follow the directions to the T. My shifter could not be removed from the vehicle since one of the small allen screws that hold it in is completely stripped. This is due to me having to re-install my stock shifter back in several times dealing with the bad bushings and trying to find someone to make some better bushings. I was unsuccessfull. Therefore, I did not have a replacement allen screw and being that this is what I do for a living I had to improvise on some of the instructions but I strongly advise against it since you can easily damage the new bushings by not following the provided instructions.

next step, installing the new bushings into the shifter after cleaning out the shifter bushing housing. I was able to put them in by hand almost all the way in but you have to be extra careful to put them in perfectly straight. The tolerance is simply perfect

For the final pressing in my tool of choice was a c-clamp vise grip with flat ends and started putting clamping force on them slowly and evenly till they seated completely. Again, a PERFECT FIT!

Next, burnishing in the bushings with the shifter pin. Note the instructions say to use a drill. You must use a 1/2 inch drill because the pin is too big for a 3/8" drill. Again I improvised since I didnt have a 1/2" drill at the shop(Sorry NH-SS)but my car was torn apart so I couldnt go get the 1/2" drill from home. The only tool I had that would hold the pin was a stud extractor so I put that on my air ratchet and used that. The air ratchet turns at about 200 rpm so the speed was good. Put a little grease on the pin and started going at it. You must be vey careful to make sure the pin is perfectly straight with the bushing.

Then a clean rag and a little carb ceaner to remove all the grease residue

Reinstalled the pin and clips and a perfect fit

After driving the car some all I can say is "WOW" I love it!! My shifter went from having a 1 1/2" inches of slop when in gear to have about 1/16" of movement

Simply amazing Thanks again NH-SS for your awesome creation

Again please note these pics are to help you guys understand what needs to be done. But please follow the provided instructions for successful results
Old 06-18-2012, 04:56 AM   #92
NH-SS

Thank you for the great pictures you have added !! With this visual aid it should be easier to understand how it all works.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:25 AM   #93
RogerBzSS

Drives: 11 IBM n White 2SS/RS M6
My shifter s/b delivered today, looking forward to getting it installed with the new bushing right off the get go..

So if I read the picture details right to deburr / burmish the new bushing once pressed in the oem pin is used with some grease to size the fit of the pin?
RogerBzSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #94
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBzSS View Post
My shifter s/b delivered today, looking forward to getting it installed with the new bushing right off the get go..

So if I read the picture details right to deburr / burmish the new bushing once pressed in the oem pin is used with some grease to size the fit of the pin?
That will be the best way to do it before it goes in. You will see in the instructions that it says to put the shifter in a vise(lower part only) after you install the bushings then put the stock shifter pin in a 1/2" drill and use it to burnish the bushings from inside with a little grease, then clean out the grease afterwards.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #95
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH-SS View Post
Thank you for the great pictures you have added !! With this visual aid it should be easier to understand how it all works.
I was glad I could help out a little haha!

I-trader positive review coming your way! Hope you do the same also
Old 06-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #96
RogerBzSS

Drives: 11 IBM n White 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrrod6410 View Post
That will be the best way to do it before it goes in. You will see in the instructions that it says to put the shifter in a vise(lower part only) after you install the bushings then put the stock shifter pin in a 1/2" drill and use it to burnish the bushings from inside with a little grease, then clean out the grease afterwards.
Thank for the feed back and the awesome pix!!! Shifter came in today

I am hopin to get it installed new bushings and all before I drop the car off with JRE next Monday for the week!

NH-SS talk with you in the morning
RogerBzSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #97
subzero05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 tbd
so.. you're going to make brass style bushings?. well I'm definately no engineer but common sense tells me that if the tolerances are correct you will fix any side to side play that may be there, but with that type of metal to metal it will rattle horribly!.
subzero05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #98
NH-SS

Well,.. I'am an engineer,.. for over 30 years. The material is not brass. It is extreme grade bearing material.