Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2017, 08:15 PM   #8863
Frank237
 
Frank237's Avatar
 
Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Craig, MT
Posts: 579
https://www.uspeacekeeper.com/collec...shooting-mat-1#

I use this super comfortable mat when we do our LR Rifle, steel shoots. As well as for prairie dog shoots. A set of elbow pads worth their weight in gold too.

Midway sells a similar mat, as well as thinner, "Tactical" versions. Nothing like being COMFORTABLE when prone. Helps your accuracy more than one thinks.

Last edited by Frank237; 06-23-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:37 AM   #8864
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippee38 View Post
Anyway, when you guys go to the range, what do you use to lay on when prone firing? I've seen people use pieces of old carpet, but I don't have any of that around.
If I'm planning a trip to the range I use one of those foam workout mats that you can buy at walmart. More comfortable than cardboard.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #8865
drivingagain

 
drivingagain's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Posts: 1,329
Thought I would throw this in if no one has seen it yet. I use the 590A1 as my defense gun to get to my safe and then pull out the saiga 12. This is definitely close quarters shotgun. Got me thinking maybe I need a shorter 590A1. Just need to go through a tax stamp wait.

2017 Mossberg 590 Shockwave


Mossberg 590 A1 14" Barrel

Last edited by drivingagain; 06-23-2017 at 10:15 AM.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:08 AM   #8866
DenverTaco07


 
DenverTaco07's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,624
My new concealed carry
Attached Images
 
__________________
2017 SS 1LE | HBM | Vortech V3-Si supercharger (620RWHP and 575ft lbs) | PDR | Black Bowties | Illuminated Front Black Bowtie | Illuminated Door Sills | Smoked Tails

Εξόντωση στους προδότες

1,353,000 We are all prisoners of our own experiences.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:09 AM   #8867
drivingagain

 
drivingagain's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Posts: 1,329
hahaha
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #8868
Billy10mm

 
Billy10mm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hartsdale, NY
Posts: 1,330
After carrying a 10mm 1911 daily since 2008, I pulled the trigger last night on a new carry rig. H&K VP9 (OD Green) with a G-Code IWB (I absolutely love G-Code holsters, I've got 5 now and every one of them is fantastic).

I'm torn a bit as this is a step down in many ways. I live in the great state of NY where I'm limited by the NY Safe Act to 6 + 1. So even though I move from a gun that anywhere else can carry 9+1 to a gun that can carry 15+1, I'm still stuck with 7 regardless. And I've always felt that having 7 really HARD hitting rounds (200gr FMJ moving at around 1250 fps) was better than 7 smaller rounds with around half as much energy.

We'll see. It's clear that I can put 9mm on target much faster than 700ft-lbs worth of 10mm, but dammit I know it's going to feel like I'm shooting pop-corn.

__________________
My thoughts on some things:
  • Driving Nannies: If I'm that far out of shape on the street, something has gone terribly wrong and by all means Mr. Computer man, come and get me.
  • G2s: Rock throwing is like like a tramp stamp; although problematic, it's a sign of good things to come.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #8869
Mr Twisty


 
Mr Twisty's Avatar
 
Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OK
Posts: 14,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
After carrying a 10mm 1911 daily since 2008, I pulled the trigger last night on a new carry rig. H&K VP9 (OD Green) with a G-Code IWB (I absolutely love G-Code holsters, I've got 5 now and every one of them is fantastic).

I'm torn a bit as this is a step down in many ways. I live in the great state of NY where I'm limited by the NY Safe Act to 6 + 1. So even though I move from a gun that anywhere else can carry 9+1 to a gun that can carry 15+1, I'm still stuck with 7 regardless. And I've always felt that having 7 really HARD hitting rounds (200gr FMJ moving at around 1250 fps) was better than 7 smaller rounds with around half as much energy.

We'll see. It's clear that I can put 9mm on target much faster than 700ft-lbs worth of 10mm, but dammit I know it's going to feel like I'm shooting pop-corn.

Being lighter it'll still jump a bit but at least you won't be pulling your pants up so much now
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #8870
Billy10mm

 
Billy10mm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hartsdale, NY
Posts: 1,330
You sir, are a glass-half-full kinda person! Appreciate the positiveness.
__________________
My thoughts on some things:
  • Driving Nannies: If I'm that far out of shape on the street, something has gone terribly wrong and by all means Mr. Computer man, come and get me.
  • G2s: Rock throwing is like like a tramp stamp; although problematic, it's a sign of good things to come.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #8871
Frank237
 
Frank237's Avatar
 
Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Craig, MT
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
Thought I would throw this in if no one has seen it yet. I use the 590A1 as my defense gun to get to my safe and then pull out the saiga 12. This is definitely close quarters shotgun. Got me thinking maybe I need a shorter 590A1. Just need to go through a tax stamp wait.

2017 Mossberg 590 Shockwave


Mossberg 590 A1 14" Barrel
Right before I retired, as our patrol cars got smaller and full of computers....we found ourselves with NO room for our 18 and 20 inch Rem 870's. So we cut barrels to 14.5 inches, recrowned the barrels and reinstalled new front beads. FAR easier to get in and out of the cars....But quite a bit more muzzle blast. A specialized weapon for unique circumstances.



As far as the REALLY short guns......I've shot several really short doubles and pumps. One was an original Ithaca Auto Burglar. Quite rare. They are FAR worse in the muzzle blast department, even if only a 20 gauge. FAR harder to hit a target at most any distance, as soon as the buttstock is no longer available. Not what one would want unless it's a firefight in a phone booth. Considering the paperwork BS one has to go through as well as the $200 stamp....not worth it in my opinion.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #8872
drivingagain

 
drivingagain's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
Right before I retired, as our patrol cars got smaller and full of computers....we found ourselves with NO room for our 18 and 20 inch Rem 870's. So we cut barrels to 14.5 inches, recrowned the barrels and reinstalled new front beads. FAR easier to get in and out of the cars....But quite a bit more muzzle blast. A specialized weapon for unique circumstances.



As far as the REALLY short guns......I've shot several really short doubles and pumps. One was an original Ithaca Auto Burglar. Quite rare. They are FAR worse in the muzzle blast department, even if only a 20 gauge. FAR harder to hit a target at most any distance, as soon as the buttstock is no longer available. Not what one would want unless it's a firefight in a phone booth. Considering the paperwork BS one has to go through as well as the $200 stamp....not worth it in my opinion.
Thank you for the experience Frank! I was looking into the Hornady Rapid wall safe for my shotgun beside my bed then came accross that mossberg.

drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:38 PM   #8873
drivingagain

 
drivingagain's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Posts: 1,329
If you can see that picture haha. Best picture I could find of the Hornady quick lock.

Last edited by drivingagain; 06-23-2017 at 04:09 PM.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:32 PM   #8874
Frank237
 
Frank237's Avatar
 
Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Craig, MT
Posts: 579
Forgot I had that crappy digital even saved.

Note the serial # magic marker'd on the bottom of the stock...easier during Inspections, to note the #, versus taking it out of the mount. Also the side saddle ammo carrier on the receiver.
Haven't seen that old girl in a long time. Carried that same 870 my entire twenty three years. Couldn't imagine the number of road injured deer, elk, bears, etc I shot with that thing.....hundreds.

Last edited by Frank237; 06-24-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #8875
Mr Twisty


 
Mr Twisty's Avatar
 
Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OK
Posts: 14,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
You sir, are a glass-half-full kinda person! Appreciate the positiveness.
You just caught me on a good day...

Decent article on 9mm. Just ignore number four

http://www.tactical-life.com/firearm...federal-target
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #8876
Tenring

 
Tenring's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
After carrying a 10mm 1911 daily since 2008, I pulled the trigger last night on a new carry rig. H&K VP9 (OD Green) with a G-Code IWB (I absolutely love G-Code holsters, I've got 5 now and every one of them is fantastic).

I'm torn a bit as this is a step down in many ways. I live in the great state of NY where I'm limited by the NY Safe Act to 6 + 1. So even though I move from a gun that anywhere else can carry 9+1 to a gun that can carry 15+1, I'm still stuck with 7 regardless. And I've always felt that having 7 really HARD hitting rounds (200gr FMJ moving at around 1250 fps) was better than 7 smaller rounds with around half as much energy.

We'll see. It's clear that I can put 9mm on target much faster than 700ft-lbs worth of 10mm, but dammit I know it's going to feel like I'm shooting pop-corn.
For me the impulse of the 9mm is not as fun to shoot as say .45 ACP but you can really drill the target fast with the 9mm.

Nice VP9 - how do you like it by now?
Mine just fits and points perfectly really liking it. Dont think I have ever had a firearm that was so ergonomic. Considering giving the new VP9sk a shot also.

.
__________________
Many would still be alive if not for Gun Free Zones.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camaro gun

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Firearms section? monstertodd Site Related Announcements / Suggestions / Feedback / Questions 23 06-10-2010 08:32 PM
Removing Swirl Marks using a Flex and Meguiars M105/M205 Angelo@Autopia Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection 5 05-22-2010 10:36 PM
The COPO of Today The_Blur 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 48 01-31-2010 07:00 PM
Laws Protecting Consumers for Aftermarket Parts strauchpete Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 9 01-17-2010 08:31 AM
IMPORTANT Part 1 Warranty Disputes Zeus Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 11 08-25-2009 11:37 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.