Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #15
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Im not sure that the tune is more aggressive guys. If what I have read is correct, the 1LE fast list is still a little slower than the regular LS3 fast list. Unfortunately, the 1LE maros are a bit behind the 03-04 cobras and 5.0 stangs in the straigh-line accel department. :( Its alright though, nothing better than being the underdog in the fight.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #16
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
In the quarter we have to shift into 4th because of the trans gearing and 3.91 gears in the back that hurts a bit.

Plus there are at least 20 ss for each 1le, lot more people to get hero runs at the drag. Most 1le owners don't drag race them either.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #17
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
More likely that they put a slightly more aggressive tune on it given it's intended purpose.
You could be on to something, didn't think of the tune. Be interesting to compare.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #18
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP as everyone has said the 1LE is not meant for the drags. Stock you are cannon fodder for most 5.0s. The big problem is the tires.

But if you get some 18" drag radials you can consistently run 12.8s at sea level and hang with most stock 5.0s except for the Coyote Bosses.

Then put the the Goodyears back on and spank all those 5.0s on a road course or AutoX with some good driving.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #19
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock69RS View Post
You could be on to something, didn't think of the tune. Be interesting to compare.
We are seeing some evidence of this from the tuner community. My tuner got a 389 baseline out of a stock 1LE with 30 miles on it. My SS on the same dyno with the advantages of a CAI, CC, CSS, lighter wheels/tires (13.5 lbs/corner), and 1500 miles put down 380/385 so, I do think there is something to the idea that 1LEs are a bit hotter stock. It seems to me that it would be very difficult to sort engines according to output but very simple to just jack up the tune given an expectation of track use by both seller and buyer. Another anecdotal point in support of this idea is, where do both setups end up after a typical menu of boltons and tune? I think they're closer after mods than before which would support my concept. But until some official from GM tells us exactly why, we don't really know anything.

Last edited by Indydriver; 07-07-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #20
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
We are seeing some evidence of this from the tuner community. My tuner got a 390 baseline out of a stock 1LE with 30 miles on it. My SS on the same dyno with the advantages of a CAI, CC, CSS, lighter wheels/tires (13.5 lbs/corner), and 1500 miles put down 380/385 so, I do think there is something to the idea that 1LEs are a bit hotter stock. It seems to me that it would be very difficult to sort engines according to output but very simple to just jack up the tune given an expectation of track use by both seller and buyer. But until some official from GM tells us exactly why, we don't really know anything.
Maybe they are a little stronger on a dyno (gearing possibly?). But this is not translating to better 1/4 mile times. One problem is the Goodyears do not launch as well as the Pirellis. Not that the Pirellis are all that great. Those Goodyears are at their best on a warm road track. Everywhere else they are a compromise.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:44 PM   #21
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
The extra shift kills us at the track. I raced mine and had to bang 4th at around the 1100ft mark. I'm sure if I could have raised the rev limiter a little bit and just stayed in 3rd, it would be worth .05-.1
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:56 PM   #22
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
I totally agree with the extra shift hurting times. Like someone mentioned, there are far less 1le's and they just havent been out as long. I guess a little more time will tell a better tale.

Just dont see 1le tunes being "hotter" from the factory. Dyno numbers mean ABSOLUTELY nothing. If you go by dyno numbers you are only playing the ego game and are only kidding yourself. The 60 ft shows driver ability, et shows how well the car is set up and the trap shows how fast the car really is.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:25 AM   #23
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
meh..i'm not a professional racer like you guys. I just love that LS3 sound and punch. Who knows though maybe this car will be my gateway into the track world there's just nothing around here in Phoenix for me to do any of that.

And I like everything you're all suggesting, but i'm still in college. I don't have a career or money. All the money I do have is going into new car payments lol
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #24
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Yeah, drag racing is usually cheaper than most track days at the road course. I used to do nothing but 1/4 mile but now that I have the 1LE, you can't keep me far from the local road courses! Not sure what is available in your area but you could check here: http://www.azscca.com/index.cfm
If there is nothing in AZ it may be worth a drive to Southern CA to one of the many tracks there (Fontana, Buttonwillow, etc.) Some also do autocross which can be fun too.