Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-02-2021, 11:43 AM   #1
nbostaph

Drives: Yellow 2014 2SS Convertible
How realistic is it to sell a used hood for a decent price?

I've been wanting the VIS Terminator hood for a long time, but just never seem to have the $1200+ to spend on it. I assumed my old hood wouldn't be worth much after taking it off, but I looked today and see used OEM hoods going on Ebay for anywhere from $400 to $1000. What's unclear is how easy it is to sell them and what they actually go for.

Of the recently sold ones with a listed price, the price ranged from $200ish to $500ish, but they were in pretty bad shape (scratches, dents, etc). The ones in good shape went for "best offer" under the $900ish asking price, but I don't see any way to see what that best offer was.

More importantly, I wonder how long they were listed, and how many more were listed that never sold.

Also, how in the heck do you ship something that big? I've only ever shipped medium to small boxes through UPS/Fedex.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Can I realistically expect to sell my good condition factory OEM 2SS hood with black vinyl stripes for a decent price ($700-$900) within a reasonable timeframe (2-3 weeks)? Or am I going to be wasting all summer on this before settling on a $450 offer and fighting through a shipping nightmare? In the case of the former I may try it to offset the cost of the Terminator; otherwise I'll probably just go ahead with my plan to tear off the vinyl stripes and paint stripes on the existing hood.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:23 PM   #2
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Personally, i couldnt see paying 900 or so for a stock hood when like you said, a sweet aftermarket one is only a few hundred more. I understand wanting to offset the cost of the new hood ( ive been looking at hoods lately ) but i dont think youll be able to offset by that much. Personally, id probably try to sell mine for a few hundred and only local to not deal with the shipping nightmare. If it doesnt sell, im just gonna hang my stock hood in my garage as wall art. Sorry if this isnt what you wanted to hear...

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:06 PM   #3
nbostaph

Drives: Yellow 2014 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arogg View Post
Sorry if this isnt what you wanted to hear...
I appreciate the honest feedback.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:18 PM   #4
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I like that hood as well, but I don’t think it would look that good on my black SS. Your yellow one though would be sweet.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:22 PM   #5
CPCNY

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, VR ext/Blk Int
To ship a hood you'd probably have to crate it in a wooden box. Probably would cost quite a bit to ship.

Try selling on craigslist or if ebay has a local pick up only option. I bet it won't sell very fast.
CPCNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:50 PM   #6
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
I wouldn't ship it. 90% Chance it gets damaged
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:58 PM   #7
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
I have literally shipped everything from pinball tables, full size arcade games, slot machines to old car fenders, hoods and bumpers all over the country. Even had some 1950 Buick body parts (pair of bumpers and the trunk lid) end up in Norway. Even shipped an old Yamaha motorcycle to Japan.

Most people make the arrangements for shipping if they want something bad enough but for the ones that don't, Forward Air is your best friend.

They are used to shipping oddball crap like that and know how to load, pack and secure it for a safe arrival at the destination. They can have a pinball table disassembled, loaded and safely wrapped and secured on the truck in about 15-20 minutes. I've shipped a few. They come right to your door and they don't cost an arm and a leg.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:04 PM   #8
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
I wouldn't ship it. 90% Chance it gets damaged
With all due respect, that's simply not true.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:32 PM   #9
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I sold mine on Craigslist for $500 to a guy that hit a deer.
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:37 PM   #10
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
I sold mine on Craigslist for $500 to a guy that hit a deer.
Nice. Local is always best when you can do it.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:07 AM   #11
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Well - pull the trigger on the VIS hood, it is a beautiful top notch quality piece, and mine fit perfectly w/o much tweaking other than front flushness. Note that most of the C/F stuff, including VIS and Siebon, is shipped from California, which for me means it is trucked all the way across the USA. Once you open the box you own it, so I held the driver to inspect it - no damage at all.
Then, use the shipping box and packing material if you can sell the old hood. I still have my old hood, deck lid, and rocker panels boxed up in my basement, just haven't looked into selling them.
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:37 AM   #12
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesster View Post
Well - pull the trigger on the VIS hood, it is a beautiful top notch quality piece, and mine fit perfectly w/o much tweaking other than front flushness. Note that most of the C/F stuff, including VIS and Siebon, is shipped from California, which for me means it is trucked all the way across the USA. Once you open the box you own it, so I held the driver to inspect it - no damage at all.
Then, use the shipping box and packing material if you can sell the old hood. I still have my old hood, deck lid, and rocker panels boxed up in my basement, just haven't looked into selling them.
F***ing Awesome!!! That hood is beautiful!!!!!(as is the whole Camaro).
Old 06-03-2021, 04:36 PM   #13
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
I’ll second this hood. It took very few minor adjustments to get it to fit perfect.
Attached Images

ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:02 PM   #14
Car Nation Videos
YouTube-Car Nation Videos

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
I gotta get me one of these hoods. How much did it cost total with shipping?
Car Nation Videos is offline   Reply With Quote