Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 08-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #15
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLT4 View Post
$100.00 for oil and filter?
For guys who don't change their own oil
Old 08-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #16
UCI CamaroFan
Zot!

Drives: Toyota 4Runner
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28657

It was on page 2 of this section. This section is small.

I saw it when the thread was new, and remembered what you were talking about.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #17
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
I'm looking for a picture, cuz I wanna make show a buddy who doesn't believe in the 500 mile change.
So do you just drain the oil at 500 miles? Or do you completely flush the system with back-to-back oil changes? - because you're so afraid of "metal shavings".
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:31 AM   #18
UCI CamaroFan
Zot!

Drives: Toyota 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNKNSTN View Post
So do you just drain the oil at 500 miles? Or do you completely flush the system with back-to-back oil changes? - because you're so afraid of "metal shavings".
change it again at 1500.

I'm scared of them too.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #19
Deeboe
Bowtie, FOR LIFE!!!!

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS SW/IOM Interrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstone View Post
After my trip back to VA from PA picking up the car, I took it to JiffyLube (323 miles). Boy were they surprised to see the car. I asked about the oil, they said it look pretty clean. I made sure to insist they put back regular oil, not synthetic...

: huh?
2010 CGM SS/RS A6 (RIP)
one pissed SS right there!!!!
Deeboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #20
Jozef

Drives: 2010 1LT Black on Black
I changed my oil at 700, and it was dirty as sin. There were no shavings, but it was as black as night.

I'm running synthetic now, and am going to change the filer again at 1200, and then do another oil change at 1500.

After that, new filter every 2500, and oil change every 5000.
Jozef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #21
Buby2

Drives: 2003 Eclipse & 2010 2LT SW Camaro
First of all anyone who goes to Jiffy Lube is not too brite. They drain it for 2 seconds and then refill it. First of all you have to drive to Jiffy lube and your engine is hot and the oil (most of it) is in the engine block. Dont you think its better to drain the oil when the car is cold and the pan is full ? And let it drain for 1 hour, whats your hurry.
Jiffy lube is cheap price/cheap oil/cheap service.......sorry not on my camaro.
Buby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #22
Jozef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buby2 View Post
First of all anyone who goes to Jiffy Lube is not too brite. They drain it for 2 seconds and then refill it. First of all you have to drive to Jiffy lube and your engine is hot and the oil (most of it) is in the engine block. Dont you think its better to drain the oil when the car is cold and the pan is full ? And let it drain for 1 hour, whats your hurry.
+1
Old 08-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #23
dayvedayve

Drives: 2006 Chevy Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozef View Post
I changed my oil at 700, and it was dirty as sin. There were no shavings, but it was as black as night.

I'm running synthetic now, and am going to change the filer again at 1200, and then do another oil change at 1500.

After that, new filter every 2500, and oil change every 5000.
Why change the filter so soon. Get a good one and change it with the oil.
Under normal driving conditions it will be ok. If not normal you would need to do it more often. Use synthetic if it came with it. Use conventional if you want to change it on more frequent basis. Once again this would be normal driving conditions. No long cold, long hot, rabbit starts, screeching stops, pedal to the medal, towing etc. And some people don't realize that if you frequently use the gas additives you MUST change you oil more frequently.
dayvedayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #24
Jozef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayvedayve View Post
Why change the filter so soon. Get a good one and change it with the oil.
Under normal driving conditions it will be ok. If not normal you would need to do it more often. Use synthetic if it came with it. Use conventional if you want to change it on more frequent basis. Once again this would be normal driving conditions. No long cold, long hot, rabbit starts, screeching stops, pedal to the medal, towing etc. And some people don't realize that if you frequently use the gas additives you MUST change you oil more frequently.
This is my toy car. All I do is drive this hard...
Old 08-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #25
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
In case you didn't see my thread, here's a pic of my oil drain pan at my 500 mile oil change.
Attached Images

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #26
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buby2 View Post
Agreed..

I let my cars warm up to temp after a long drive..jack her up on the opposing side so the drain plug is lowest. Allow to cool for 20 mins. Drain for at least 30minutes or until no oil comes out of pan.

Getting as much of the old oil and metal out is my piece of mind when buying Mobil1 filters and using Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil1 synthetic.

I changed my oil at 800 or so miles and had a LOT of metal shavings in the filter and on the surface of the oil. I replaced with Pennzoil Platinum 5-30 and a Mobil1 filter. I have 3300 on her now and maybe plan on an oil change in the next month, maybe just before she goes up for winter. I trust Mobil1 filters...

I also plan on sending an oil sample for analysis to Blackstone Labs to see what is what with wear and breakdown.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #27
Al Robinson
RACKM

Drives: 2001 Mazda MilleniaS
Thse filings ARE normal like it was said earlier. If you want to really have your eyes opened just look at the pan when you change the oil in an automatic transmission. As for oil changes GM recommended for the C5 Coevette to wait 10,000 miles before switching to synthetic oil. The first C5's and Porches' came from the factory with synthetic and were developing blow-by because the syntetic was so slippery the piston rings were not getting a chance to seat in the cylinder. A good mechanic will tell you the same thing. 10,000 miles before switching will allow the rings and cylinder walls to create their own finger print, much like bullet does in a gun. The oil ring is the one that needs it the most.
Al Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #28
SoloSK71

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
or go to a higher weight oil for the break in

- SK
- Good money, bad girls. How can life be any better?
- God saves. The devil invests.

- This may be the ultimate guide to problem solving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
it's not a WD-40 problem, so it's got to be a duct tape problem
SoloSK71 is offline   Reply With Quote