Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #17739
pat_t

Drives: .
Very interesting reading your latest thoughts on this thread guys. I am in Europe and obviously the EV future here looks very different by the sounds of it. Multiple European countries have now passed legislation committing to cease sales of new non-hybrid passenger vehicles by ~2040, and there is talk of even earlier. Mainstream European manufacturers such as Volvo are now saying that from 2019 onwards they will not manufacture any vehicles powered solely by an internal combustion engine!

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ic-hybrid-2019

This makes me feel great about my very rare 7.0L N/A V8 car over here in Europe. I think it's going to be worth a huge amount of money someday! (not that I'd ever sell it)
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:17 PM   #17740
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_t View Post
Very interesting reading your latest thoughts on this thread guys. I am in Europe and obviously the EV future here looks very different by the sounds of it. Multiple European countries have now passed legislation committing to cease sales of new non-hybrid passenger vehicles by ~2040, and there is talk of even earlier. Mainstream European manufacturers such as Volvo are now saying that from 2019 onwards they will not manufacture any vehicles powered solely by an internal combustion engine!

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ic-hybrid-2019

This makes me feel great about my very rare 7.0L N/A V8 car over here in Europe. I think it's going to be worth a huge amount of money someday! (not that I'd ever sell it)
I wish I had 7.0 427! That’s a must for a Camaro and Corvette.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:49 PM   #17741
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I guess the last hope for a 6th gen Z/28 is officially gone.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...socialflowFBCD

General Motors spokesman Michael Albano told C/D that, because electrification is playing a huge role at GM, the automaker is moving "some of our best talent" to work on current and upcoming projects. He acknowledged that this is a lateral move and not an elevation of position for Oppenheiser, who will remain a chief engineer. "We have launched the final variant of this generation of Camaro, so the time is right" for him to move, Albano added.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #17742
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post

General Motors spokesman Michael Albano told C/D that, because electrification is playing a huge role at GM, the automaker is moving "some of our best talent" to work on current and upcoming projects. He acknowledged that this is a lateral move and not an elevation of position for Oppenheiser, who will remain a chief engineer. "We have launched the final variant of this generation of Camaro, so the time is right" for him to move, Albano added.
I will never bet against technology or the smart engineers working on future projects but I am very happy I own a 427 cubic inch engine that screams destruction of forests ... ok kidding aside I figured the big 3 are being pushed to move into hybrid technology so owning a Z/28 is very gratifying. I’ll be that old fart one day driving my 14 Z not willing to let it go. Good article. Thank you
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #17743
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palutz View Post
I’ll be that old fart one day driving my 14 Z not willing to let it go. Good article. Thank you
I guess I am that old fart now. Which reminds me of a situation a few years ago...
I had my '69 Z/28 out driving to work on a nice summer day. First in line at a red light. I always watch the idiots behind me at red lights and stop signs to make sure they are gonna stop. I see a Prius with a 20 something female driving up behind me. She pulls up within 2 feet of my car and immediately looks down at her phone. Of course I'm running racing fuel in the ole 302, which once she got a smell of it gave me all kinds of weird facial expressions and gestures, even put her windows up. I promptly gave her a 6,000rpm shot of exhaust and noise to hopefully teach her not to pull up so close, which really set her off. She tried backing up to avoid the smell but couldn't because of traffic behind her. I just smiled and waved good bye when the light turned green. She waved 'the' one finger goodbye at me. Yep, I know I'm number one!!!
Old 12-12-2018, 12:50 AM   #17744
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palutz View Post
I will never bet against technology or the smart engineers working on future projects but I am very happy I own a 427 cubic inch engine that screams destruction of forests ... ok kidding aside I figured the big 3 are being pushed to move into hybrid technology so owning a Z/28 is very gratifying. I’ll be that old fart one day driving my 14 Z not willing to let it go. Good article. Thank you
My dad has a 15 Z/28 and it really is a one of a kind car. Sadly, something that won’t ever be seen again.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #17745
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:

Times they are a changin’...not for the better for us car guys. Yeah there will still be awesome cars made, but as Number3 put it years ago they’ll be expensive.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:49 PM   #17746
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Lets hope we have a few years yet. But clearly other than Camaro and Corvette you are left with Cadillac -V Series cars which are big $$$.

SS Sedan is gone. Not even a 2.0 turbo hot hatch.

Hope is that with electrons at least the performance choices expand again and it’s the 60s all over again. Fingers crossed.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #17747
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
I can't believe you guys all missed it - it was right there in the article - the next Z/28! Right behind Mark - what a way to arrive
Attached Images

Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:15 AM   #17748
pat_t

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
I can't believe you guys all missed it - it was right there in the article - the next Z/28! Right behind Mark - what a way to arrive
1) nah it's the next COPO car isn't it? You can just read COPO under his shoulder, and the front wheel looks like a drag wheel.

2) whatever it is, at least they put the bowtie back in the grill where it belongs!!
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #17749
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Lets hope we have a few years yet. But clearly other than Camaro and Corvette you are left with Cadillac -V Series cars which are big $$$.

SS Sedan is gone. Not even a 2.0 turbo hot hatch.

Hope is that with electrons at least the performance choices expand again and it’s the 60s all over again. Fingers crossed.
Sure but it seems GM is throwing in the towel early. They said it’s impossible to build a new 7.0 liter V8, yet Ford is building a new 7.3 V8 and Dodge is building a new 426 Hemi.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #17750
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Sure but it seems GM is throwing in the towel early. They said it’s impossible to build a new 7.0 liter V8, yet Ford is building a new 7.3 V8 and Dodge is building a new 426 Hemi.
I agree! Give people what they want and they’ll buy it.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:05 PM   #17751
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I agree! Give people what they want and they’ll buy it.
Yes....except when they don’t really know what they want.

The question is, when all the ICE guys get tired of being roasted by EVs on the track and at the strip will the sound of a V8 ultimately matter?
Old 12-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #17752
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Yes....except when they don’t really know what they want.

The question is, when all the ICE guys get tired of being roasted by EVs on the track and at the strip will the sound of a V8 ultimately matter?
The real question is will car guys be willing to drive something that sounds like an electric toothbrush the 99.99% of the time they don’t spend on a track, as well as giving up the ability to build the engines how the want.

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014