Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-22-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
Scuzz

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Next upgrade? Cam Questions

I have a 2012 Camaro SS L99 and over the last few months i have had a Cold Air Intake, Long Tube Headers, High Flow Cats, and magnaflow exhaust installed along with a dyno tune performed.

I am now looking at getting my next upgrade this spring and have begun looking at Cam's paired with a LS3 conversion.

I want to maintain drivability on the street since its my weekend car.

There are so many cam options out there i started to get confused and dont really know which cams i should be looking at. Advice needed.

Also I called about getting a price and was quoted $4k for parts and labor. This seems kinda high. From what i understand it is about 600$ cam, $800 for conversion parts and up to $1400 for the labor. So 3k was what i was expecting. Opinions wanted.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
Scuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
meshamey
Meshamey

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / 2014 Camaro ZL1
Why have you decided on LS3 conversion?

You forgot about $500.00-700.00 for tune
meshamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
Muddflap

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
If you stay with the VVT instead of doing the LS3 conversion you can go with a more aggressive cam and still maintain great driveability vs an aggressive cam with an LS3 conversion and give up a little driveability.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
meshamey
Meshamey

my VVT Cam 218/222 0.566/0.578 with 3200 stall TC with a Rhino79 tune

Last edited by meshamey; 01-23-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:53 PM   #5
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
my dyno tuner only charges $150 to retune and $450 for 1st NA tune
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzz View Post
I have a 2012 Camaro SS L99 and over the last few months i have had a Cold Air Intake, Long Tube Headers, High Flow Cats, and magnaflow exhaust installed along with a dyno tune performed.

I am now looking at getting my next upgrade this spring and have begun looking at Cam's paired with a LS3 conversion.

I want to maintain drivability on the street since its my weekend car.

There are so many cam options out there i started to get confused and dont really know which cams i should be looking at. Advice needed.

Also I called about getting a price and was quoted $4k for parts and labor. This seems kinda high. From what i understand it is about 600$ cam, $800 for conversion parts and up to $1400 for the labor. So 3k was what i was expecting. Opinions wanted.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
A cam swap gets expensive on an L99 quick because you're pulling the heads to delete DOD, and possibly VVT too if you opt for the LS3 conversion. So you'll have added labor there as well as parts (lifters, gaskets, bolts, lifter trays, valley cover, front timing cover, gear, valvesprings, timing chain, etc etc) those things don't cost much on their own but it adds up quick. Don't forget dyno tuning is probably factored in too, and that's usually $400-$500 on its own.

I'm not sure where you are located but we would be glad to quote you also.

I would suggest having the heads ported and polished while they are off, if you can swing it. It's a good time to take advantage of that!

The VVT vs. LS3 swap argument has been beat to death and to be honest it's largely six in one hand half dozen in the other - both sides have their reasons. Do your research, contact a shop that you trust, and go for it.

There are a ton of well performing cams out there either way. Some will require you to also change your converter, so keep that in mind as adding a converter can be $700-$1500 on its own and may eat into your budget.

We have several great cams available, something for everyone whether it's mild and stealthy, loud and lopey, stock stall, aftermarket stall, etc. We emphasize driveability as well, we want to make sure you're enjoying the drive after adding all the power!
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
meshamey
Meshamey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly@PCMofNC View Post
A cam swap gets expensive on an L99 quick because you're pulling the heads to delete DOD, and possibly VVT too if you opt for the LS3 conversion. So you'll have added labor there as well as parts (lifters, gaskets, bolts, lifter trays, valley cover, front timing cover, gear, valvesprings, timing chain, etc etc) those things don't cost much on their own but it adds up quick. Don't forget dyno tuning is probably factored in too, and that's usually $400-$500 on its own.

I'm not sure where you are located but we would be glad to quote you also.

I would suggest having the heads ported and polished while they are off, if you can swing it. It's a good time to take advantage of that!

The VVT vs. LS3 swap argument has been beat to death and to be honest it's largely six in one hand half dozen in the other - both sides have their reasons. Do your research, contact a shop that you trust, and go for it.

There are a ton of well performing cams out there either way. Some will require you to also change your converter, so keep that in mind as adding a converter can be $700-$1500 on its own and may eat into your budget.

We have several great cams available, something for everyone whether it's mild and stealthy, loud and lopey, stock stall, aftermarket stall, etc. We emphasize driveability as well, we want to make sure you're enjoying the drive after adding all the power!
Great advice!
Old 01-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
Scuzz

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
First want to say thanks for the responses.

Ive been researching both the VVT Cam and the LS3 conversion cams. Both seemed to have merit, i concluded that it came down to the shop that was installing it, and what there were better suited and comfortable with.

Is the labor usually cheaper on a vvt cam install? My goal is to stay at a out of pocket expense, not including tune of $3,000. I don't think my tune is suppose to be $500 since its a retune, and as mentioned I think my area offer lower rates for retunes.

I wasn't considering changing the TC because of my budget, but may consider changing the gears in summer after installing a cam hopefully next month.
Scuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
Muddflap

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
If you stick with the VVT, the money you will save from NOT doing the conversion MIGHT be enough to buy a converter. Just good for thought.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #10
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzz View Post
First want to say thanks for the responses.

Ive been researching both the VVT Cam and the LS3 conversion cams. Both seemed to have merit, i concluded that it came down to the shop that was installing it, and what there were better suited and comfortable with.

Is the labor usually cheaper on a vvt cam install? My goal is to stay at a out of pocket expense, not including tune of $3,000. I don't think my tune is suppose to be $500 since its a retune, and as mentioned I think my area offer lower rates for retunes.

I wasn't considering changing the TC because of my budget, but may consider changing the gears in summer after installing a cam hopefully next month.
Labor would be the same (at least at my shop). VVT you are taking off and putting back on anyway during cam install if you are keeping it, versus taking it off and replacing it with an LS3 timing cover, so my labor doesn't differ from keeping VVT to deleting VVT, but you'd have added parts. Either way the DOD/AFM's gotta go - that's where your extra labor comes from in an L99 - pulling the heads to get to the lifters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddflap View Post
If you stick with the VVT, the money you will save from NOT doing the conversion MIGHT be enough to buy a converter. Just good for thought.
More like put towards a converter If you keep VVT you're sparing yourself about $125 if that.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote