Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #15
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
I think for a dd or a semi-dd, you can confortably go headers, hfcs, a good catback, intake, tb, tune, and sports suspension without sacrificing driveability. In fact, it will make the dd more fun....

When you start going cam and boost is where I would draw the line on dd comfortable driveability. Just me though, and this may not be the case for so many others who've got a 700rwhp beast and drive it every day to work on commute.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #16
Kens ss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS , L99 convertible
Very well put! I think this applies best for folks on a tight budget who can barely afford one of these toys. The risk of breaking and a voided warranty can be very costly. Also resale value is affected, as most don't want to buy a heavily modified late model car, where the quality of the work cannot be assured.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:02 AM   #17
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I think for a dd or a semi-dd, you can confortably go headers, hfcs, a good catback, intake, tb, tune, and sports suspension without sacrificing driveability. In fact, it will make the dd more fun....

When you start going cam and boost is where I would draw the line on dd comfortable driveability. Just me though, and this may not be the case for so many others who've got a 700rwhp beast and drive it every day to work on commute.
if i had it to do again this is all i would do. Suspension, headers, exhaust, and intake. The suspension was my best mod. Headers and exhaust 2nd. I wouldnt do a cam again. Although my 2nd cam is a custom Pat G Cam Motion so its a great almost stock driveability cam. The worrying if somethings going to go wrong just isnt worth it. Mines a weekend cruiser. I would never do a cam on a DD. Too many horror stories and I saved myself from 1 with the 1st cam.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:33 AM   #18
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfinger View Post
Spot on but you sound like my dad.
Ha, mine too! I'm 31 and my dad still gives me crap.

Debbie Downer.
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:41 AM   #19
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Everyones all taking about warranty and driveability I'm over here like **** that YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!
Old 11-04-2015, 07:07 AM   #20
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
The problem with our cams our their high lift and the high spring pressures to use on them result in more failures and more need for maintenance and correct lubrication. Its not just another old Small Block Chevy like I used to build and drive and could just cam and forget...... Even the oil has changed now and its not even good for flat tappet hydraulic lifter cams of old cars engines, and its only getting worse. And the price for a engine is so much more it almost makes a guy want to retrofit an old school engine in...lol
Old 11-04-2015, 08:42 AM   #21
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Let's face it, we drive thoroughbreds, not barnyard nags. Even if you 'drive it like you stole it' bone stock, daily, it's going to have a affect on its life cycle. I had a an old gear head sum it up for me years ago when I wanted to put a Whipple on a Tahoe. He said, "You never get something for nothing!" (like 100 more HP)
Old 11-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #22
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Excellent! This is why I only do intake and CAT Back...and visual mods. I want my car to be reliable and easy to maintain. I drive mine daily. I don't race it..but may do a track day training with a pro instructor this spring. It doesn't matter to me if I get another .2 or .5 in the quarter since I'm not racing. I run out of road on partial throttle already.

My friends tell me I drive my SS easier than I drove my 2LT. It's probably because I don't have to in order to accelerate at the rate I want...and...I run out of road very fast/get to dangerous speeds quickly.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:27 AM   #23
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Amen...... My last mod in my sig is Driven racing ls30 my oil , it should also read trading out /check of springs every 25k, ditch high flow cats @50k, plugs every 10k-15k or so, rear end modified to take the power and not wheel hop or grenade thru suspension and better bushings and cover with fluid changes, all parts chosen carefully and assembled professionally; dyno tuned right! With 500 wear rating aaa traction toyo proxes 4+ because Pirellis are 220 wear rating.... etc etc. I have tried to tell people about using better oil but only the hard core will listen, or think they know the best recipe using what ever oil....and regular dexos standard may last o.k. but its far from being for a built engine.

cam looses 2 mpg mostly, FI would be of course incrementally more by far....
Drivability in my SS is just the same as it was before the mods. Gas mileage on highway driving is 24/mpg, which I didn't get any better than that before the mods. Mods are in my sig.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:45 AM   #24
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
My L99 is tuned but has nothing else. So it doesn't look modified when the hood is opened. It has improved the cars driveablity if anything as it responds better now. The funny thing is I think I drive it easier now because it feels faster especially with the snappier shifting in the Auto. It also breaks loose a lot easier on me now so I have to pay attention more. So I'm not launching it hard as much as before.

I had used a Range to remove AFM before but it wasn't an ideal solution and did nothing to improve the car otherwise. Tune was a great choice for me but it won't be getting anything else not even exhaust as I like the car quiet actualy.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #25
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
The single most important thing to know about modding your car...it all boils down to this

A) Fast
B) Cheap
C) Reliable

Pick any two.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #26
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Ryne, good to see you post here! I'll be seeing you next week to tune my recently modded ls3. Mods are in my signature and I'm fully aware of what increased mx to expect...
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:04 AM   #27
DP Valentino

Drives: 2010 CGM Chevrolet Camaro LS
I'm staying N/A with V6, and will stay N/A when I go V8 next year. The only mods I have now with my V6 is Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Brakes, Suspension, and Tune. No F.I. And that will be the same way as with my V8.
DP Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #28
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
You can either do major car modifications the expensive way or the expensive way.

It either gets done right the first time, including supporting mods and more frequent maintenance or it gets done over.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote