Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #43
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs View Post
Thanks for all your help. I will do the baggie test later and report back my findings
Don't forget the pictures!

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #44
Sweet Lola
#42,288

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Sweet Lola
Thanks for all the great advice. Today I watched the video, did the the claybar, mixed swirl remover and Restore, then finished off with the handwax. I did the baggie test up front and did it after; I still feel the imperfections. Is that normal? Any suggestions? I haven't been able to see her in the sunlight because it started raining while I was working in the garage.

Darren
Sweet Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #45
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Lola View Post
Thanks for all the great advice. Today I watched the video, did the the claybar, mixed swirl remover and Restore, then finished off with the handwax. I did the baggie test up front and did it after; I still feel the imperfections. Is that normal? Any suggestions? I haven't been able to see her in the sunlight because it started raining while I was working in the garage.
If you still feel grit, then you are NOT done claying! Also, the videos that you watched are slightly different from mine. I do not mix SHR and FMP. Adam does it that way.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:07 AM   #46
buddylok

Drives: -
AJ, thank you for taking your time explaining everything.

I just got myself a PC-7424XP, and I love it !!!

check out my thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69049
buddylok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #47
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddylok View Post
AJ, thank you for taking your time explaining everything.

I just got myself a PC-7424XP, and I love it !!!

check out my thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69049
Way to go Buddy, I'll check it out!

Old 03-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #48
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Junkman, ive watched your videos and i am just straight out scared to use a pc on my car. Im currently using zaino and it works great, but i do have some very light swirl marks i can see in direct sunlight. I just dont want to put a pc on my car and burn the paint up. i know you said its tough to burn the paint, but i still cant get it out of my brain.

For the scared people, would any of this stuff work by hand or should i just go for it.

Or since i already have zaino stuff, how well does the z-pc work for very light swirls.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #49
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
Junkman, ive watched your videos and i am just straight out scared to use a pc on my car. Im currently using zaino and it works great, but i do have some very light swirl marks i can see in direct sunlight. I just dont want to put a pc on my car and burn the paint up. i know you said its tough to burn the paint, but i still cant get it out of my brain.

For the scared people, would any of this stuff work by hand or should i just go for it.

Or since i already have zaino stuff, how well does the z-pc work for very light swirls.
You say that you've watched my videos. Does that include these two videos? I have a strange feeling that you haven't watched them...

Old 03-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #50
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Go for it! I've used my PC with Zaino as well as Adam's. Worked great! You won't hurt anything! I even screwed up a paste wax last week and let it dry until I couldn't get it off by hand! My PC saved my butt and got it all off! No issues!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #51
GRSCAMARO
RS 10 SS

Drives: 2010 ABM RS/2SS L99
I was also afraid to use the PC on my new SS. However, after watching Junkman's videos I found the courage to use it on the SS and my 69.

This was Junkman's response to my comment of using ZPC with the PC on 6:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Thanks for watching.

I personally don't recommend working the PC at a speed of six using ZPC as it breaks the polish down too fast and you take a chance at micro-marring the finish. This damage shows up at night under bright lights, not so much during the day. I would stick with the PC set at a speed of 5, 9=14 pounds of pressure and taking your time to work the polish. Following this technique will mean that there is less work for you to do when you follow it with Z2 which should always follow ZPC as it really beats up the finish. Adam's Fine Machine Polish is another great product that you can follow ZPC with although I always tell people not to mix the brands like that.

You are a perfect candidate for this thread.
I finished the 69 with the PC set on 4.5 and it turned out great. I had the PC set on 2 on the SS but I did not have any very many swirl marks.

I followed up the ZPC with three coats of Z5/ZFX, then one coat of Z2 and finally one coat of Z8. After driving it for a couple of weeks I washed it with Zaino wash and detailed it again with Z8. I plan to use Z6 after every wash to keep it looking great.

Best 1/4 Mile Run: 11/20/2010 SGMP 13.299 @ 106 mph (2.05s 60ft)
Mods to Date:
Painted Rally Stripes by Body's by Doug
ABM Painted Splash Guards & Engine Cover
Tinted Windows by Sunbusters
CAI Kit by Cold Air Inductions (installed at C5FestI)
GRSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #52
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Ok, i watched the videos thanks for the courage. How much more abrasive is the Z-PC to the fine machine polish from adams.

I have my car zainoed right now currently. If i wanted to use the swirl and haze and the fine machine polish, do i have to strip the car first or can i use this stuff right over top of my zaino z2 and then when done finish it with my z2? My car was first clayed and zainoed when i bought it.

Last edited by oachalon; 03-22-2010 at 06:57 PM.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #53
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRSCAMARO View Post
I was also afraid to use the PC on my new SS. However, after watching Junkman's videos I found the courage to use it on the SS and my 69.

This was Junkman's response to my comment of using ZPC with the PC on 6:

I finished the 69 with the PC set on 4.5 and it turned out great. I had the PC set on 2 on the SS but I did not have any very many swirl marks.

I followed up the ZPC with three coats of Z5/ZFX, then one coat of Z2 and finally one coat of Z8. After driving it for a couple of weeks I washed it with Zaino wash and detailed it again with Z8. I plan to use Z6 after every wash to keep it looking great.
For removing swirls & scratches, it doesn't matter what polish that you use but you always use the polisher at a setting of 5 and no slower unless you're doing the slow cut technique (if you don't know what the slow cut is, then you haven't watched all my videos).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
Ok, i watched the videos thanks for the courage. How much more abrasive is the Z-PC to the fine machine polish from adams.

I have my car zainoed right now currently. If i wanted to use the swirl and haze and the fine machine polish, do i have to strip the car first or can i use this stuff right over top of my zaino z2 and then when done finish it with my z2? My car was first clayed and zainoed when i bought it.
ZPC is equivalent to Adam's Swirl & Haze Remover. Z2 is similar but not as strong as Adam's Fine Machine Polish. Z5 is similar to Adam's Machine Superwax, however, Machine Superwax is a sealant that will last much longer.

Any time you want to switch brands of paint treatment, you always strip the old product off. Never just throw one on top of the other. That really screws up your results. Also, you need to inspect your car for the necessity of claying. It doesn't matter when it was clayed, if the baggie test fails then the car needs to be clayed. If you don't know what the baggie test is, then you haven't watched my videos!

Old 03-25-2010, 02:42 PM   #54
alab32

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Subscribed for later viewing! THANKS AGAIN!!!
alab32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #55
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alab32 View Post
Subscribed for later viewing! THANKS AGAIN!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #56
riverrattcom

Drives: 2010 2SS RS SIM
AWESOME!!!!!

Thanks Junkman
riverrattcom is offline   Reply With Quote