Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
nash

Drives: 2LT Manual 2013 White Summit
Question Burning smell at only 50 Miles?

Hey everyone,

I recently received my car (ordered) - and on the first day noticed a "burning smell" while driving home.

I kind of assumed it was me just getting used to the shifts (coming from a honda).

I could smell the burning through the vents, but once I put the air on "cycle" mode, I stopped smelling it.

However, when I step out of the car after parking, I do smell it.

I've read two threads on here about this now. In one case people said it was the heater core, in the other case people said it was a "new car thing" and that it goes away after awhile.

The car has essentially no miles on it, and if its starting off with problems I'm going to be pretty upset.

Thanks for any help!

-Nash
nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I see that you have a standard, and I'm not trying to be a dick - just want to check on this before moving to another possibility. How experienced are you at driving a standard transmission? Because from your description it sounds like you were burning the clutch.

Again, not jerk trying to be a dick, just have to eliminate the obvious before doing anything else.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
it sounds normal to me...most likely crap burning off the exhaust, brakes, clutch etc. Mine did it for the first day or 2.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Also, keep in mind that a brand new car will emit a bit of a smell.
When the engine is assembled at the factory, different chemicals such as lubricants, etc. are sprayed on different components to aid assembly etc. When an engine is fired up and gets up to operating temperature, it burns off these chemicals.

I would stay aware of it and take it in to be checked if it continues, but otherwise it's probably normal.

My camaro was the first BRAND new (4 miles on the odometer) car I ever purchased and it had a bit of a smell coming from the engine compartment for about the first 100 miles or so.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I see that you have a standard, and I'm not trying to be a dick - just want to check on this before moving to another possibility. How experienced are you at driving a standard transmission? Because from your description it sounds like you were burning the clutch.

Again, not jerk trying to be a dick, just have to eliminate the obvious before doing anything else.
No worries - no offense taken - all my cars have been stick, so I have about 10 years manual experience, but those were acuras/hondas, and felt very different to shift. So I have no doubt I'm burning the clutch a bit here as I get used to it.

Would definitely be happy to know that was the case.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam62 View Post
Also, keep in mind that a brand new car will emit a bit of a smell.
When the engine is assembled at the factory, different chemicals such as lubricants, etc. are sprayed on different components to aid assembly etc. When an engine is fired up and gets up to operating temperature, it burns off these chemicals.

I would stay aware of it and take it in to be checked if it continues, but otherwise it's probably normal.

My camaro was the first BRAND new (4 miles on the odometer) car I ever purchased and it had a bit of a smell coming from the engine compartment for about the first 100 miles or so.

Great thats good to hear!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash View Post
Hey everyone,

I recently received my car (ordered) - and on the first day noticed a "burning smell" while driving home.

I kind of assumed it was me just getting used to the shifts (coming from a honda).

I could smell the burning through the vents, but once I put the air on "cycle" mode, I stopped smelling it.

However, when I step out of the car after parking, I do smell it.

I've read two threads on here about this now. In one case people said it was the heater core, in the other case people said it was a "new car thing" and that it goes away after awhile.

The car has essentially no miles on it, and if its starting off with problems I'm going to be pretty upset.

Thanks for any help!

-Nash
If this becomes a persistent issue, you may want to take it to a dealership for diagnosis. Congrats on the new Camaro!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 09-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
VauMann

Drives: 1SS - LS3 - Cybergray
Engine Smell

if its not a "clutch-smell" or fliuds from the factory, like cam62 explained,
there are also a lot of Stickers nearly on every part on the car.
A lot of them burn away or singe during the first miles and leave a burning smell, mostly near the engine and exhaust.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
It's most likely just the clutch burning off the new materials. Mine had the burning smell for about 400-500 miles then went away. Haven't smelled it since.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
akonechn

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS
I get a bad smell once every couple drives and I'm at 8,000 miles. Don't think it's burning clutch, but it has a dead animal kind of smell. I need to just take it in.

2012 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Black | RS Package | Hurst Short Throw Shifter | Sunroof | Polished Wheels
Pfadt Tri-Y Headers | Solo Mach X Catback | C.A.I. Intake | Vmax | Apex Intake Scoop & Washer Tank | Tuning by Mike Norris
Polished OEM Strut Brace | Black Front Bowtie | C6 Flags Rear Emblem | Black Tail Light Bezels | Window Tint | Stealth Turn Signal Bulbs
Ghosted Black LED Sidemarkers | Plasma LED DRL | DRL Harness | ABL LED Dome Light | LED Trunk & License Plate Lights

akonechn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by VauMann View Post
if its not a "clutch-smell" or fliuds from the factory, like cam62 explained,
there are also a lot of Stickers nearly on every part on the car.
A lot of them burn away or singe during the first miles and leave a burning smell, mostly near the engine and exhaust.
Lots of stickers under there in hot spots
Old 10-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Please let us know what the dealership was able to diagnose for you. We are here if you have any questions!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service