Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 09-03-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
BumbleBee3
Roll Out

Drives: 2012 2SS Transformer Edition
Car Gun Safe

I searched but didn't see any one with a DIY gun safe. New Texas law went into effect 9/1 where you can now carry your fire arm in your vehicle (including work parking lots) without a CHL. I know I'm going to install one I haven't decided on glove box or center console yet though. Have any other C5 members installed a gun safe in their vehicles? Looking for idea's, I know I want to go with biometric for quick access, and not deal with a combination or key.

BumbleBee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
Patrol.in.a.Camaro
Lockin it Down!

Drives: 2012 V6 2LT/RS IOM Camaro
*Side note* It pays to be a Federal Agent because you dont ever need to leave your piece in your car. You can carry it everywhere you go, including into work
2012 2LT/RS coupe. Inferno Orange Metallic w/ Black Strip. 6 Speed Manual. IOM Leather Interior. Sunroof. 15% Window tint ~ Black Billet Door Sills ~ Orange Billet Racing Pedals ~ IOM Molded Splash Guards ~

~That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness~
Patrol.in.a.Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol.in.a.Camaro View Post
*Side note* It pays to be a Federal Agent because you dont ever need to leave your piece in your car. You can carry it everywhere you go, including into work
Yea but you guys always show up after you need a gun....
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
Li0nel1234
What should I name my car

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via AIM to Li0nel1234
I thought in Texas it was always allowable to carry a firearm in your vehicle. It was considered an extension of your home. Just as you can shoot someone for burglarizing your car.

? I have my CHL and I'm pretty sure you never needed one for vehicle carry. There's also the good faith concealed carry where you can carry to/from your car without issue.

The work parking lots depends on your employer. If you work on federal property like an Air Force Base... you can't carry in your vehicle.
Performance: ARH 2"/"3 headers + ARH 3" HF catback system, SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, motul RBF 600 fluid, K&N CAI (w/custom insulation), plug wires, air scoop, Hurst STS, Pedders Track II suspension, 18x10 wheels, 295/45/18 Nitto NT05s
Looks: powder coated iom calipers, LED foglights w/ always on harness, custom painted bowties, window tint, smoke tinted tail lights etc, oem gfx w/ custom outlets, painted taillight bezels, all weather trunk mat
Li0nel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
gun rack in the window.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
Camaro1*

Drives: 2011Black Camaro 1 LT RS
Lmfao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
Camaro1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
Yellow_Glide

Drives: 2011 1LT "Chakita". 04 Yota
The law in Texas changed: the original vehicle carry was if you were traveling, a non routine trip and the trip went thru 2 counties. The new Castle Law considers your vehicle to be an extension of your home - here is the catch though: you have to be inside your vehicle. You leave the confines of your vehicle and are involved in a shoot - things just just real ugly and iffy - for you. Yes the "good faith" exists you mentioned, but again there is fine print: unloaded, etc. Not in LE or an attorney - but just renewed.

To the OP, unless you're carrying something small, center console is too small and glove box is larger and will definitely hold something, but if you're large in size it may be too far away: lean over the console, open the glove box, draw, look for the bad guy and see if he is in the same spot he was 5 seconds ago.

Not really a safe, but I have several zippered bags which are carry bags. They can vary in size and material on the outside. I keep mine in the drivers side back seat floorboard or next to the console - when I arrive to my destination, put it in the trunk. This all works for getting to and from your vehicle. Average person will think you're carrying your man purse - another CHL holder will spot you at a 100 yards and know what you have.

Other option might be something small and hard mount it in the trunk. Haven't seen anything specific for Camaros. Hmm, might be a niche market here.

Build thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3847083

Yellow_Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
... and pull out your pen and write up a nice report on the crimes perpetrated against us citizens. "To document and to file.."

To the OP, get seen stashing your gun in your trunk and get your trunk crowbarred open and gun stolen too. Be stealth about it.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
Yellow_Glide

Drives: 2011 1LT "Chakita". 04 Yota
Patrol - I work with a former Fed (he has a sense of humor though) - he scares the crap out of me every time he shows up in a dark blue suit and shades.

Build thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3847083

Yellow_Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
Jonny

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Convertible Camaro
Here's a better idea: get your CHL and carry in a holster.

And, for more advice you didn't ask for, you do NOT want a biometric case. You think it's quick access, but it's not. (At least, it's not quicker than a finger combination safe.) Neither is it reliable. Get one with 4 or 5 buttons on the top that you can set a combination to. It will be plenty fast, and far more reliable than anything biometric on the market right now.

When the SHTF, Murphy's law will kick in; you need Occam's razor to fight it. The simplest idea is best.

Sorry for my post. I hate it when people ignore the question and spout off their personal opinions instead of being helpful. I just don't want you to ever need your weapon, and end up pressing your sweaty thumb against some reader 4 or 5 times trying to swipe just right while those few precious seconds slip away...
2011 "Victory Red" Camaro 2LT Convertible RS • Custom Painted "Corvette Black" Racing Stripes • SLP Rear Quarter Gill Graphics • Painted Engine Cover • EmblemPros Underhood Bowtie • River City Creations Custom Painted Bowties • Vararam Intake • JDP V6 VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Hypertech Max Energy Programming • ******** Large Sub Enclosure • 10" DC Sound Labs Level Four Subwoofer • Sundown SAX-1200d Amp • 2SSRS Rear View Backup Camera Kit
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
emsguy

Drives: 2012 2ss convertible
try Midway USA or Cheaper than Dirt. they usually have the best deals and they know what they sell.
emsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
JETG

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Lot of miss information in here. First it isnt a new law, you could carry in a vehicle already in Texas. The part of the law that changed was about work and having it your vehicle. As for loaded yes it can be loaded in the vehicle.
JETG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #13
BumbleBee3
Roll Out

Drives: 2012 2SS Transformer Edition
Thanks for the info I know the black, white, and grey areas of the law. I don't have my chl but I do have my pistol certifications for competition shooting. I want to stay away from the law debates and focus on the mods or what others use. As far as what gun I would have in the car since size was brought up, It is a XD 40 sub, so small enough for the console. Great idea on the bag and suggesting reasons not to go with biometric locks.

Sent from my HTC Evo via Tapatalk

BumbleBee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #14
Kunihiro1

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol.in.a.Camaro View Post
This may be true,,,,but it's not just exclusive to "Federal Agent's", it is applicable to all "qualified law enforcement agents" in the nation, under the parameters listed below.

LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS SAFETY ACT OF 2004
ALLOWS PEACE OFFICERS TO CARRY CONCEALED WEAPONS
NATIONWIDE WITHOUT A PERMIT

On July 22, 2004, President George W. Bush signed the “Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004," which allows qualified law enforcement officers to carry concealed handguns nationwide, on or off duty. The law does not extend an officer’s authority to enforce the law in states where it is not already authorized. Under the federal criminal code, a “qualified law enforcement officer is someone who is authorized by the laws of his or her state to enforce the law and make arrests, is authorized by his or her agency to carry a firearm, is not being disciplined by their agency, meets the agency’s standard for qualifying in the use of a firearm, is not intoxicated, and is not prohibited by other federal law from possessing a firearm.”

'69 SS Camaro
2SS/RS, CGM, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pfadt Suspension, Airaid intake (Sold)

71 RS Camaro (Sold)
Z Car (Sorry, Nissan 350Z)
Kunihiro1 is offline   Reply With Quote