Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-22-2012, 03:38 AM   #1
Intimidator333

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Inferno Orange.
A few exhaust questions/reccomendations?...

Ok I keep changing my mind on different exhaust systems and setups. I'm basically after the nastiest, deepest, throatiest, loud, powerful, but good sounding set up I can get. I'm all for decel pop and full out aggression but I don't want a lot of high end raspiness. Looking just to do stuff after the cats for now but keep in mind I do want to add LT's and cat deletes or hi flows after the warranty is up.
What do people think about the Borla Atak? Is it really deep and brutal sounding or is it really raspy? I'm hearing different things from different videos. Depending on camera quality it can sound like a stock car and other videos it sounds like someone straight piped a 4 banger.

I have a LS3. Would I benefit in any aggressiveness by getting the full Atak cat back vs. the axle back? Would I benefit in a deeper tone in having the H and resos? Or is it not that big of a difference?

I've heard people say the Atak mufflers are actually louder and more aggressive than having a muffler delete. Is this true?

Is the Atak the system I'm looking for or is there any other reccomendations out there? Before I found Atak videos I liked, I liked the muffler delete sound best.
Intimidator333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
FrankD01

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I just put the Atak cat back on my M6 SS. It's not nearly as loud as the Borla Video. I was very dissapointed. The system is great...good quality, fit and great customer service. It sounds good to me just not loud enough. To me their video comparison is misleading and that's what I went by for my purchase. Im sure with headers it would be totally different. If I had the chance to do it over I would get the SLP Loud Mouth I. I drove a car at the Dealership with that set up and it was loud. It would have been a lot cheaper also. The Atak sounds somewhere between the Touring and S type on Borla's comparison video.
FrankD01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
The Borla ATAK is a popular option but it is not "the nastiest, deepest, throatiest, loud, powerful, but good sounding set up I can get" with a cat back. For that I would suggest the Stainless Works Retro Chambered cat back. Below are videos we filmed of each system. We filmed the ATAK first and the Retro Chambered after. In the video the Retro Chambered sounds quieter initially but it is because we had to turn down the sensitivity on our recording equipment and back up because it was peaking out at the levels we used to record the ATAK. You can hear very clearly that the Retro Chambered has a deeper and throatier tone to it. It is definitely the favorite around our shop.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
casvg5
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS
If you want a real aggressive sound, you have to get long tubes. Its a must. I had cat back first, and thought it sounded great. Put on my long tubes and cat delete mid pipes, and my car is down right MEAN. I go no where without people rubber necking.
casvg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
Fragnarok
Gavin

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Inferno Orange
Any drone with the Retro Chambered?
Old 05-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
casvg5
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS
Here is my set up.

1 7/8" x 3" long tubes, no cats, JBA cat back. thing is fierce, and my iphone totally robs the exhaust of its real sound. In person it doesnt even compare! The video makes it sound very high pitched when in person its more low and concussive, lol.

casvg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Tantalizer43

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragnarok View Post
Nope! NONE that I have experienced!

OP, sounds like this kit will probably make you happy. And, you wont beat Apex's price or service!
Old 05-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragnarok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalizer43 View Post
Nope! NONE that I have experienced!

OP, sounds like this kit will probably make you happy. And, you wont beat Apex's price or service!
It is his car in the video so he would know.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote