Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #15
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
But who can wait 5 years, or 100,000 miles????? I probably could have but found this new home of mine (C5.com) and 2 months later , Headers, CAI, TUNE, etc! Now I did say i am waiting to do the cam, not! A couple more months and it will be there!
Old 01-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #16
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
Since there is a TSB, I doubt they will take the time to look.
True, but now after reading a whole thread on the flash counter and what not im starting to debate whether or not i should keep the diablo....I know technically the damage is already done, because I loaded it then unloaded it. I only even had the diablo on for like a week, and all i did was remove AFM....I was told by a diablo representative, that loading the tune and then unloading it will bring the vehicle back to stock. i was lied to.

I wish i would have found this thread earlier.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #17
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Well you really weren't lied to, you can go back and forth between AFM tune and stock so they're right. Only thing they don't say is that the flash counter can detect new flashes! So, now that you have already flashed for the AFM and back, you might as well go all the way and get a performance tune for it form Jannettyracing or equivilent mail tune!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #18
blackknight
Camaro Lover

lol...oh dear.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #19
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Well technically it does bring you back to stock, tune wise. But it cannot reset or defeat the counter...yet. The first one to be able to do this will make a fortune.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #20
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Well you really weren't lied to, you can go back and forth between AFM tune and stock so they're right. Only thing they don't say is that the flash counter can detect new flashes! So, now that you have already flashed for the AFM and back, you might as well go all the way and get a performance tune for it form Jannettyracing or equivilent mail tune!
Agreed!

blacknight - What's done is done. Now you have the excuse to enjoy a real tune and hope that GM never needs a reason to check.

She is only memory now.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #21
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Quote:
Well technically it does bring you back to stock, tune wise. But it cannot reset or defeat the counter...yet. The first one to be able to do this will make a fortune.
yea ill buy that in a heartbeat.

im really paranoid now that my dealer is gonna call and be like...yea.....cant do you warranty work....

and i just remember that i extended my bumper to bumper warranty to 5 year 50,000. (regular bumper to bumper is 3/36.) So basically i have the vehicle warrantied for 5 years....for anything. it was only like 500 bucks more at the signing. couldn't say no...but now i guess thats 500 out the window.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #22
JProberts

Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
[QUOTE=blackknight;2696313]yea ill buy that in a heartbeat.

im really paranoid now that my dealer is gonna call and be like...yea.....cant do you warranty work....

and i just remember that i extended my bumper to bumper warranty to 5 year 50,000. (regular bumper to bumper is 3/36.) So basically i have the vehicle warrantied for 5 years....for anything. it was only like 500 bucks more at the signing. couldn't say no...but now i guess thats 500 out the window.[/QUOTE

The tune should only come in to play with your trans and engine stuff, there is a lot of other stuff under your bumper to bumper that will still be useful...when your wndows stop working and your seat if fkd up or something and the truck won;t close right....you know all that annoying crap that just drives you crazy

And really I have never had any engine or trans problems with any of my cars in the past 10 years while it was still under warranty....now after the warranty is done is when people useually have problems and it won't matter anyway.

I'm just as cautious as the next guy with my car and like the idea of the warranty but decided to go the tune route anyway....what the hell we only live once and I want to drtive this car set-up without any restrictions and get the most out of it performance wise.

Can't wait until it is done!
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #23
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackknight View Post
yea ill buy that in a heartbeat.

and i just remember that i extended my bumper to bumper warranty to 5 year 50,000. (regular bumper to bumper is 3/36.) So basically i have the vehicle warrantied for 5 years....for anything. it was only like 500 bucks more at the signing. couldn't say no...but now i guess thats 500 out the window.
:( well the tune only voids powertrain warranty. I feel like bumper to bumper would still be covered.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #24
blackknight
Camaro Lover

hmm true....idk im just paranoid now.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #25
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
All I can add to this is with hundreds and hundreds of tune customers over the years we have only had one be denied his warranty, and that was because he installed his own spark plugs (NGK TR6's) instead of letting them use the OEM platinums. Idiot dealer and he should have fought it, but he traded the car on a new GT500. To date, we have never had a customer have his warranty voided due to a tune but it is bound to happen. This past 12 months or so GM has stepped up their looking at the flash count when there is catastrophic failure (makes sense). What we DO have is a few "mod friendly dealers" near that we refer all customers to (one is a Buick dealer but welcomes all warranty work) and they treat them great. (dosen't hurt that the owner of one of the dealerships has twice brought in his new vettes for heads/cam/etc. with less than 100 miles on them).
Prior to the GDS system, there was no counter to verify the amount of flashes. The other issue now, is that it doesn't matter what the dealer says. If there is a powertrain failure it's GM that will request the ECM info. If GM says no to the warranty work, I doubt the dealership is going to step up and eat the cost of repair or replacement. I only mention this because I'd hate to see someone not understand, have a major issue, and be stuck with a huge bill or worse paying on a car they can't afford to fix.

What's going to have to happen is someone to have a major powertrain failure, have flashed their ECM at least once, and see what happens. I sure don't want to see that happen, but I think at least one person on this forum has had their engine replaced (V6 iirc). What I don't know is if there was a tune involved.

She is only memory now.

Last edited by IndeedSS1; 01-04-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #26
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
If it's a known issue then I'm guessing you'll be fine.

Really you are banking on the fact that there won't be a Major engine problem that can be connected to a tune.

Otherwise you are probably not gonna have any problems with a hand held tuner.

If you are concerned at all, I'd wait to get all the warranty work done then do the tune.
Just had my exhaust chopped up today (which sounds AWESOME btw, West Coast Muffler is great!) and I can definitely hear the AFM... Been driving around one gear lower than I normally would just to keep the RPMs up a little and AFM off...

Getting a new set of pads this week via warranty, going to have them listen for the lifters ONE MORE TIME... If, that is, they can hear it now anyway

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #27
IndeedSS1

If I had the skills, the right tools, a lift, enough disposable income, and my car wasn't my daily driver a tune would be a no-brainer.

If only one of these places that sell tuners and their tunes would step up and say, if you a problem and the warranty is voided because a flash was detected we will pay the cost or even do a 50/50 parts and labor, I'd take that risk. Of course doing that for me would be safe, relatively speaking, since my car will never go to the track and I'm really careful with my toys. Dealership labor rates are $135 and hour in my area, last I checked. Naturally, I'd go somewhere else local to have any non warranty work done.... I'm not dropping hints... or am I?

She is only memory now.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #28
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
If I had the skills, the right tools, a lift, enough disposable income, and my car wasn't my daily driver a tune would be a no-brainer.

If only one of these places that sell tuners and their tunes would step up and say, if you a problem and the warranty is voided because a flash was detected we will pay the cost or even do a 50/50 parts and labor, I'd take that risk. Of course doing that for me would be safe, relatively speaking, since my car will never go to the track and I'm really careful with my toys. Dealership labor rates are $135 and hour in my area, last I checked. Naturally, I'd go somewhere else local to have any non warranty work done.... I'm not dropping hints... or am I?

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote