Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 09-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
yescats

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS L99 Vert
Programming the Manual Mode to be TRULY aggressive.

According to the 2011 SS owners manual the shifts in Manual Mode (without using Tap Shift controls) are supposed to be more aggressive than when in Drive. I personally can't feel the difference. But anyway, doesn't that mean that it should be possible to reprogram the Manual Mode to truly be more aggressive? This way when the car is in Drive it will operate as stock for economy, wife driving it, etc. Then Manual Mode it could be programmed to shift hard, stay in low gear, and have AFM disabled.

This is what the manual says:

"While driving in M(Manual Mode),
if Tap Shift has not been activated,
the transmission determines when
the vehicle is being driven in a
competitive manner. It selects and
holds the transmission in lower
gears and has more noticeable
upshifts for sportier vehicle
performance.
See Manual Mode on page 9‑32 for
more information."
yescats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:24 PM   #2
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
I believe good tuners are able to tune D, M and Tap Shift settings differently. I think the AFM would just be off completely though. Not sure if the can enable it for D, but off in M and Ztap Shift. Might be able to...

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon War Horse View Post
I believe good tuners are able to tune D, M and Tap Shift settings differently. I think the AFM would just be off completely though. Not sure if the can enable it for D, but off in M and Ztap Shift. Might be able to...
This. Sport mode slams gears in my car. I don't use TapShift unless I'm downshifting to hear my exhaust lol...
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #4
yescats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon War Horse View Post
Come to think of it AFM is never a good thing. Might as well tune it out completely.

I guess a Diablo tuner for example wouldn't be able to do that. It would take something more sophisticated.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:39 PM   #5
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
I had my l99 tuned and Sport Mode is very stout. I had to have Dynosteve soften my 1-2 as it was neck snapping and locked my seatbelt a couple of times lol. Chirped first 3 gears shifting too....Its nicer now in D but S is still aggressive but good so far. I'm still testing it out to see if I'm done with adjustments. AFM is either on or off not gear mode specific. Just turn it off...

I know the OP asked about tuning before in another thread. Now that I've done mine I can say holy $hit is this car impressive and is otherwise stock.... I agree D and S were virtually the same but not anymore. Do yourself a favour PM Dynosteve and let the L99 loose once and for all!
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:44 PM   #6
qcman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yescats View Post
Come to think of it AFM is never a good thing. Might as well tune it out completely.

I guess a Diablo tuner for example wouldn't be able to do that. It would take something more sophisticated.
I'm sure the Diablo can turn it off but forget the canned tune. Most Tuners will give you a free custom tune with the purchase of the handheld device. I'm using the SCt X4 with a custom tune by Dynosteve. This man is an absolute gent and pro. He doesn't care how many adjustments you ask for to have the car the way you like it and never charges for tweaks! just do it!
Old 09-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #7
yescats

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
I had my l99 tuned and Sport Mode is very stout. I had to have Dynosteve soften my 1-2 as it was neck snapping and locked my seatbelt a couple of times lol. Chirped first 3 gears shifting too....Its nicer now in D but S is still aggressive but good so far. I'm still testing it out to see if I'm done with adjustments. AFM is either on or off not gear mode specific. Just turn it off...

I know the OP asked about tuning before in another thread. Now that I've done mine I can say holy $hit is this car impressive and is otherwise stock.... I agree D and S were virtually the same but not anymore. Do yourself a favour PM Dynosteve and let the L99 loose once and for all!
Could you ask him if he is tuning D and S separately or just amping up D and by default S is that much more aggressive.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:46 PM   #8
qcman

Quote:
Could you ask him if he is tuning D and S separately or just amping up D and by default S is that much more aggressive.
I could ask him but I'm sure they are differrent as they are different animals now. Thats not just scaling IMHO.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #9
Trifecta23

Drives: 2013 Dusk 2ss/RS conv.
How do you set the sports mode? May be a dumb question. It has the L99 6 Auto.

jdm
Trifecta23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #10
yescats

Quote:
I could ask him but I'm sure they are differrent as they are different animals now. Thats not just scaling IMHO.
It would be great if both modes were individually programmable. D could be "wife mode" and S mode for me.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:00 PM   #11
yescats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifecta23 View Post
How do you set the sports mode? May be a dumb question. It has the L99 6 Auto.
Look down at your shifter there's D and there's M. I read my manual cover to cover. You're missing out on a lot of fun if you're not using your Sport Mode (M) and Tap Shift properly! Tap Shift in Sport Mode is also the way to make the AFM go away... temporarily. To shut off AFM, while standing still in Sport Mode (M) tap downshift twice then upshift twice. You'll see "shift denied" on the center display. Then use your Tapshift buttons to change gears. AFM will go to sleep until you restart your car or put it into D.

Read 9-28. You can download the 2013 manual at https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...k13camaro1.pdf

Last edited by yescats; 09-13-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:20 PM   #12
qcman

Quote:
It would be great if both modes were individually programmable. D could be "wife mode" and S mode for me.
I suspect this can be done but am not entirely sure. I pretty much only use D now as S is really snappy... Dont waste my time with paddles now....

Dynosteve said this to me about mine "will have a different feel in d to m sir, just let me know if you want me to adjust that for you"

So I take that to mean you can have that...
Old 09-13-2015, 08:40 PM   #13
yescats

Quote:
I suspect this can be done but am not entirely sure. I pretty much only use D now as S is really snappy... Dont waste my time with paddles now....

Dynosteve said this to me about mine "will have a different feel in d to m sir, just let me know if you want me to adjust that for you"

So I take that to mean you can have that...
What about downshifting behavior? Will it kick down to a lower gear more readily now? On mine it takes quite a bit of throttle to get it to downshift. I wonder if that's configurable as well?

My S-Type Jag only has 238HP but it's amazing how peppy it is because it downshifts and upshifts right at the perfect times. But when I first got it the programming sucked. It was a dog. When they updated it the change was miraculous. The program seems to keep the RPM's closer to where the power is. My Camaro seems to be programmed to get into 6th gear as soon as possible and stay in the tall gears as long as possible.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #14
qcman

No that hasn't changed much really. I would prefer that to be the case too. I might look into having that tweaked by my tuner but I'm still getting used to the car. It could the tranny itself making it do that I'm not sure.