Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 09-17-2015, 09:43 PM   #15
Trifecta23

Drives: 2013 Dusk 2ss/RS conv.
I just took my car for a quick drive to compare D vs S. Didn't see much difference besides it shifts about 5-10 rpm's higher in sport. Is an aggressive tune that much more noticeable? And is it considered a mod that would void the warranty?

jdm
Trifecta23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:14 PM   #16
rvadim76

Drives: SOLD: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Get in touch with Dynostive. He had my L99 tuned and I can't be happier.
Yes, good tuners have auto trany adjusted in different ways (separately for D and M mode and even for tapshift).
And if I am not mistaken M mode will never engage AFM but you can always tune it off completely
rvadim76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:44 PM   #17
Trifecta23

Drives: 2013 Dusk 2ss/RS conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvadim76 View Post
Get in touch with Dynostive. He had my L99 tuned and I can't be happier.
Yes, good tuners have auto trany adjusted in different ways (separately for D and M mode and even for tapshift).
And if I am not mistaken M mode will never engage AFM but you can always tune it off completely
Does he need to have the car to do the tune? Because I am not going to Texas anytime soon.

jdm
Trifecta23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:37 AM   #18
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifecta23 View Post
I just took my car for a quick drive to compare D vs S. Didn't see much difference besides it shifts about 5-10 rpm's higher in sport. Is an aggressive tune that much more noticeable? And is it considered a mod that would void the warranty?
If you didn't notice a difference you need more road so you can get @ least pass 4k RPM. Be on a road where you can have a "spirited" drive. You should feel the car, once you let go of the gas, hold you in the power band. Also it'll downshift for you so you'll still be in the power band and ready to hit the gas. Try again and drive a little more "Sport" like.
You can do all of this on a straight away, I do all the time before work. Once I'm off the gas it'll downshift and my exhaust can be heard as I brake to a stop.
A curvy road is just more fun.

When you tune a car I like to think the pt warrenty is gone. It's not always the case but there is always that chance. I had mine tune before 20k miles others sooner then that with other mods. Your choice.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:55 AM   #19
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Quote:
A tune voids the drive and powertrain warranty, yes.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:24 AM   #20
yescats

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS L99 Vert
Quote:
Does he need to have the car to do the tune? Because I am not going to Texas anytime soon.
This guy gives a free tune with the purchase of a Diablo and no you don't need to go there. Diablo claims if you roll back the tune to normal it will not be detected by the dealer but there are several LONG threads debating the truth of that. If they detect it and deny your warranty you'll have a (probably winnable) fight on your hands. If you're the kind to roll over and not fight then yes of course it will in theory void your warranty as it relates to damage that could be caused by a poorly done tune (for example running too lean). However, I can't find anyone online who was actually denied warranty service due to a tune. It's all talk, theory, and scary sounding service bulletins.

http://www.rdpstore.com/p-1513-intun...stom-tune.aspx
yescats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:04 AM   #21
yescats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Bullshit.

If you don't think tuning so your transmission shifts more aggressively will not affect the drive-line components you have another think coming.

I've destroyed alternators, water pumps, automatic transmissions, a differential, thrown belts and other miscellaneous items often attributed to jack-rabbit-starts, hard shifts, and neutral drops.
That is considered abuse and will not be covered under warranty.
Were you denied coverage? Can you find me anyone who was denied service due to abuse or a tune?
Old 09-18-2015, 08:17 AM   #22
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
Ok...here are my observations of D vs S on my car that does not have a tune but has had AFM "unchecked" in the ECM.

D is the "wife" mode and that is no way disparaging to the wives out there. The shifts are normal and expected with a "slide----bump" shifting feel. Downshifts are crisp, but delayed. I can almost...with 30k miles of practice, shift with my right foot in D. Hard into the gas, lift lightly off the pedal, auto shift, slowly roll back on the gas. I can just about do this for all 5 upshifts.

S behaves just like D unless...and this is a big unless since I don't know the exact parameters identified...you are hard into it and force some traction/stability control engagement. Once you do this action that is "wilder than normal"...hard into the gas and let her eat for 2-3 gear changes...then come into a curve harder on the brakes than normal and then power out of the curve, well something changes. Shift points are raised and she holds the gear MUCH longer (almost to readline even under moderate accel. input), gear changes become much more abrupt and direct even on downshifts. The holding the gear will get your attention immediately. You come into the curve hot and she doesn't freewheel...she boils down pulling the next lower gear and allows you to hammer out just like you had manually shifted. My problem is that I don't understand it well enough to "trust" it not to freakin' downshift while I am trying to navigate the curve at the apex creating a totally upset rear and away I go in a circle. I need track time.

I tell you now that without cracking open the ECM or knowing what Ted Jannetty knows about how the stock tranny tables are set from the factory, there is some beast already in there from GM. You just have to know how to wake him up.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:24 AM   #23
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
I think getting Powertrain warranty after applying a tune is unlikely personally. So I sat and thought about that and made the decision that if I want the car GM should have given me I have to put my big boy pants on.

The L99 is a beast tuned compared to stock. So much so I had my trans tune backed down some and may ask for a bit more yet. I'm not a modder in the least but I would say bang for the buck the Tune should be the first performance mod for the L99. It transforms the car.

As for the powertrain I do not believe for one second that shutting off cylinders is good for any engine and that a ring job is a likely future cost once the PT warranty ends... theres lots of reports of oil burning AFM engines out there. So I ran a Range for a year then did my tune a couple weeks ago. Dynosteve at RDP used the the SCT X4 tuner and provided me with a free custon tune and as many adjustments to it as my heart desires to tailor the car to my personal tastes. This guy is awesome to deal with!!

My car has about 23000 miles on it so I figured its been solid thus far so should go a while yet.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:16 AM   #24
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yescats View Post
Look down at your shifter there's D and there's M. I read my manual cover to cover. You're missing out on a lot of fun if you're not using your Sport Mode (M) and Tap Shift properly! Tap Shift in Sport Mode is also the way to make the AFM go away... temporarily. To shut off AFM, while standing still in Sport Mode (M) tap downshift twice then upshift twice. You'll see "shift denied" on the center display. Then use your Tapshift buttons to change gears. AFM will go to sleep until you restart your car or put it into D.
Really? I have to try this. If true, why the F would people (like me) have bought a Range Device?
Old 09-18-2015, 10:20 AM   #25
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Wait, are you just saying that tap shifting negates the AFM? I knew that...but if you HOLD the upshift button in until it returns to "S" mode, AFM comes back, right? Even after doing this twice down, twice up gyration?
Old 09-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #26
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Wait, are you just saying that tap shifting negates the AFM? I knew that...but if you HOLD the upshift button in until it returns to "S" mode, AFM comes back, right? Even after doing this twice down, twice up gyration?
Right you still need the Range if you want the car to do the shifting. Only full manual will shut it off but I know I wouldn't want to shift it manually all the time just to defeat the AFM.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:38 PM   #27
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
I can solve the trust issue with the paddles, but I am still working on the Sport mode shifting when doing things "sporty".

I would love to know where you read the details on what the scenario / parameters are for Sport mode smarts.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #28
yescats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Really? I have to try this. If true, why the F would people (like me) have bought a Range Device?
Because you still have to tap shift. With the Range Device you have a true automatic. The downside of that is dead batteries and false warning messages... for some people.