Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
A quote from Al. O

First, I raised the dander of GM again with some wonderful little posts I did about the great quality of our convertible tops. I told them what was going on and lead them to this great site along with the Facebook group. I also threw this quote from Al O. back at them for rebuttal.

“For many buyers, a Camaro Convertible can be a collector car, something they might keep for generations. So we made sure the tops would retain their quality for a long, long time,” said Oppenheiser. “There is great value in a convertible with the original top.” Oppenheiser knows the needs for car collectors well. He personally restored a 1969 Camaro Convertible several years ago.

Thoughts ladies and gents of the topless brethren?
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
spikess581

Drives: IOM2SSconvertible,64 malibu,04fxdwg
What planet is he living on
spikess581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
I think I just vomited a little in my mouth while reading that!

Dear Al and GM- I so LOVE putting masking tape on my $43k car to protect the top!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
spikess581

Drives: IOM2SSconvertible,64 malibu,04fxdwg
good thing his name wasn't Oppenhiemer or we would still be fighting WWII
spikess581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
95birdible

This was a quote from him before the Indy 500 in 2011. What I don't get is if this is what they thought the top should be, but turns out it isn't, why don't we have a fix?
"Green Flash"
Old 01-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
95birdible

Enough of all our top BS. It's time to hit them in their wallet. I would encourage anyone that has had multiple top issues to contact the BBB. Jeff Morris can get a case open but this method gets things done much quicker.
http://www.bbb.org/us/auto-line-lemon-law/
"Green Flash"
Old 01-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
5thGenIndy500

Drives: 2011 Indy 500 Pace Car
I still think this goes back to the fact that the original European top manufacturer want bankrupt at the last minute and GM had to find another top company. The current top company also makes the vet top and they have no problems. So I feel that it was the last minute change in manufactures that caused rushed engineering which has lead to our problems. I think AOs statement was made prior to GM having to change top companies. Just my opinion. Does not make it right but, it would explain the cause of the problems.
5thGenIndy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Folks...it doesn't help...and I don't like typing it....

But please remember you're issues are in the minority. It goes without saying that no manufacturer can produce something 100% flawless 100% of the time. It's a fact inherent to every mass-produced and even hand-built products.

Now, that does NOT discredit your issues, and I'm not trying to do so. When I read messages like the OP's...I just feel obligated to bring a little perspective to the conversation, and I think you're all highly intelligent people capable of seeing it.

You're all encouraged to press your dealers for repairs. At the moment...that's the best route that can be offered.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #9
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
First, I raised the dander of GM again with some wonderful little posts I did about the great quality of our convertible tops. I told them what was going on and lead them to this great site along with the Facebook group. I also threw this quote from Al O. back at them for rebuttal.

“For many buyers, a Camaro Convertible can be a collector car, something they might keep for generations. So we made sure the tops would retain their quality for a long, long time,” said Oppenheiser. “There is great value in a convertible with the original top.” Oppenheiser knows the needs for car collectors well. He personally restored a 1969 Camaro Convertible several years ago.

Thoughts ladies and gents of the topless brethren?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD!
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #10
Brian52682

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Every convertible I have seen has the rub mark issue to the above poster that said people with a problem are in the minority. Me personally I haven't had a lot of issues however I have had a lot of top problems and I have permanent rub marks but am too afraid to ask to get my top replaced.
Brian52682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian52682 View Post
Every convertible I have seen has the rub mark issue to the above poster that said people with a problem are in the minority. Me personally I haven't had a lot of issues however I have had a lot of top problems and I have permanent rub marks but am too afraid to ask to get my top replaced.
With respect...every convertible you've seen is not every convertible made...it's not my intention to sound petty...

If you (or anyone else) don't feel comfortable seeing the dealer...there's very little that can be done. :(
Old 01-22-2012, 01:51 AM   #12
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
With respect...every convertible you've seen is not every convertible made...it's not my intention to sound petty...

If you (or anyone else) don't feel comfortable seeing the dealer...there's very little that can be done. :(
That sounds very petty. Obviously he hasn't seen every convertible made, but if EVERY convertible he has seen has the same problems and he has seen a large number of convertibles, then it is safe to assume the problem is a wide spread problem.

Many cars have the same problems. If GM is trying to fix them but just making things worse how do you expect people to step up and say "Do mine next!" They don't need to experiment on every single car with issues to solve the problem.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #13
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
That sounds very petty.
Which is why I clarified. I didn't mean it to be, but there was no other way to say it. :(

Ultimately -- although it's a bitter thought for some, the Camaro team is the only group that truly knows the nature, spread, and root of the issue. The rest of us, no matter how intelligent, can only guess...it's up to them to make the tough choices that need to be made given all the data...and our backseat driving (so to speak) doesn't help or hurt that cause.

I post because I don't like seeing people assume the worst right off the bat, even though I understandable why it happens.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #14
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Nothing wrong with voicing your opinion/reporting what you see on this here camaro discussion board.
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote