Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #1
BeachBum

Drives: 2012 (ZL-1) #468
Summer Start-Up

My Car Goes Into The Garage 1st Week In October For The Winter - I'll Be Bringing Her Out For The Summer Next Week - How Can I Turn Her Over Without Starting Her To Get The Oil Thru The Engine First - Then Fire Her Up Without Should A Harsh Dry Start?
Old 04-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum View Post
My Car Goes Into The Garage 1st Week In October For The Winter - I'll Be Bringing Her Out For The Summer Next Week - How Can I Turn Her Over Without Starting Her To Get The Oil Thru The Engine First - Then Fire Her Up Without Should A Harsh Dry Start?
I'm not sure how the ZL1 is engineered, but you could unplug the coils and pull the fuel pump fuse to turn the motor over a few times. Either way you do it, the motor will turn over dry until oil pressure can build and squirt oil where it's needed. There could be a way to turn on the oil pump, but I don't know how to do that.

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:14 PM   #3
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Some people may say to turn the crank with an impact, or breaking bar... you don't wan to do that either. You could put more pressure than needed on that bolt and snap/strip/grind the head smooth. Additionally, you will still be turning it over dry until pressure builds up enough for oil to get to where it needs to be.

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:13 PM   #4
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
With the roller valve train you don't have to worry about the cam, lifters and the valve train, they are fine. The only issue is the piston rings and cylinder walls drying out. Remove all the spark plugs, squirt some engine oil in each spark plug hole. Let it sit over night. In the morning squirt some more engine oil in each spark plug hole. Then bar over the engine by hand about 5 complete revolutions. After you have bared it by hand, spin the engine using the starter until all of the oil vapor blowing out of the spark plug holes is gone. Screw in the spark plugs and start it up.

Good luck

Last edited by Dimitrim; 04-28-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:44 PM   #5
Harley01

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1 (red hot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum View Post

It will be fine!! Been starting my boat, motorcycle, tractor, Camaro after sitting through the winters all my life, no problems.
Harley01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
You normally just turn the key. LS motors notoriously have some valve noise (except lsa...strange), and what I found to be effective is to turn the key on the "on" position for about 5 seconds, and then start (for cold starts and for cars that have sat for a few months). In the past, I used to get the clankety clank valve noise from my ls2 truck after it sat awhile or during a cold winter start; After using the 5 second delay technique I described I haven't had the loud valve noise from a cold start, so it seems to work for me.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote