Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-05-2017, 08:35 AM   #1
Morgan.13

Drives: 2011 camaro 1ss
Night fury cam/ Rocker Trunnions/ lifters

I’ve recently purchased my night fury camshaft from Brian tooley racing, along with the rocker trunnion upgrade. Has anyone used his upgrade?Mainly looking for feedback as I’m still unsure if I want to run the bushings instead...
Also looking at replacing the stock lifters with new Ls3/ls7 lifters or maybe considering a performance set/slow leak down? What would be best?

Other parts on the car
Long tube headers
Cold air intake
Flow master 3” exhaust w/out cats
Melling high volume oil pump (to be installed)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Morgan.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:46 AM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
tune? mileage on car? rocker bushing upgrade cheap insurance policy, did you get the rest of the cam install kit too? new stock lifters are fine, don't really need the HV oil pump.

do yourself a favor and get in touch with dynoSteve at RDP. his sct/tune deal can't be beat and you WILL need a tune with that cam(or any other bolt on).

spend you monies smart and as others will chime, workin with a tuner is a must(IMHO) with these cars since they are all computer...peace out!
Old 12-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #3
Morgan.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
tune? mileage on car? rocker bushing upgrade cheap insurance policy, did you get the rest of the cam install kit too? new stock lifters are fine, don't really need the HV oil pump.

do yourself a favor and get in touch with dynoSteve at RDP. his sct/tune deal can't be beat and you WILL need a tune with that cam(or any other bolt on).

spend you monies smart and as others will chime, workin with a tuner is a must(IMHO) with these cars since they are all computer...peace out!

Sorry I should clarify! I’m currently in the midst of installing the cam, buying the parts as I go. It’s winter here in Wisconsin so I’ve got some time on my hands haha. Trying to buy the best things as I’d like to keep the car reliable... I know the hv oil pump isn’t necessary but its peace of mind. I will be ordering springs and pushrods probably after Christmas. The car is currently tuned(not for a cam) so it will be brought in for dyno tuning come spring time.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:20 AM   #4
Punisher_ATX

Drives: 2010 SS
I like the bushings over his kit. The clips he uses are thicker but caused issues rubbing the rockers when i used them. The CHE kit is far superior to the bearings anyways. I have them in stock if you need them.
Punisher_ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #5
frankwjr

k...remember that the P/R's get ordered AFTER the heads are back on and the rest of the upper valve train is in place...stock rockers are net lash, read up on how to measure..this is probably THE MOST IMPORTANT part of the build as for a long term reliability and valve train noise is concerned...and performing a proper breakin using the correct fluids...

take pics! keep us posted and good luck! at some point I too will probably jump onto the H/C train too but to be brutally honest, this car is so freakin fast now I really don't NEED any more power! After I put in the 3.91's, street tires are a joke. And depending upon conditions I can get the rear to break free easily in 2 or 3 and 4th if I really wanted to. Needless to say the rears are wearing A LOT faster than the fronts!

Until I have truly mastered this ride she's stayin right where she is. Over 20 mpg hwy(who the f cares on city mpg..seriously!) and I believe next season I will get this B to run 11's as is. Then I will think about weight reduction...lol.

these cars are truly monsters when driven properly..my learnin curve was steep but since I have driven a stick since..uh..1974-5 ish it was quick. And FUN!

peace out!
Old 12-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #6
Morgan.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher_ATX View Post
I like the bushings over his kit. The clips he uses are thicker but caused issues rubbing the rockers when i used them. The CHE kit is far superior to the bearings anyways. I have them in stock if you need them.

Alright cool! I may hit you up in the future, I’ll be at the PRI show this week so I’m going to take the opportunity to talk to a couple of people and get some more opinions.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:44 AM   #7
Morgan.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
k...remember that the P/R's get ordered AFTER the heads are back on and the rest of the upper valve train is in place...stock rockers are net lash, read up on how to measure..this is probably THE MOST IMPORTANT part of the build as for a long term reliability and valve train noise is concerned...and performing a proper breakin using the correct fluids...

take pics! keep us posted and good luck! at some point I too will probably jump onto the H/C train too but to be brutally honest, this car is so freakin fast now I really don't NEED any more power! After I put in the 3.91's, street tires are a joke. And depending upon conditions I can get the rear to break free easily in 2 or 3 and 4th if I really wanted to. Needless to say the rears are wearing A LOT faster than the fronts!

Until I have truly mastered this ride she's stayin right where she is. Over 20 mpg hwy(who the f cares on city mpg..seriously!) and I believe next season I will get this B to run 11's as is. Then I will think about weight reduction...lol.

these cars are truly monsters when driven properly..my learnin curve was steep but since I have driven a stick since..uh..1974-5 ish it was quick. And FUN!

peace out!

Will do! I also plan to put 3.91’s in the future! One thing at a time for now hahah! Definitely fun cars put three sets of tires on the rear this past summer...

Old 12-05-2017, 04:26 PM   #8
frankwjr

[QUOTE=Morgan.13;9999185]Will do! I also plan to put 3.91’s in the future! One thing at a time for now hahah! Definitely fun cars put three sets of tires on the rear this past summer...
!!! 3 sets...holy crap batman...musta practically done a burnout every time you left the light!