Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #127
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman52804 View Post
Interesting. I have the Magnaflow 3" Comp series exhaust. I love the sound, but I do wish it was louder. I've sitting on the fence, trying to decide whether to put headers and hi flow cats on or not. I have two problems with them, one is my warranty and two is the decision on which set to get. I'd definitely get ceramic coated stainless headers.
If you want it louder then LTs is the way to go.

I'm worried about warranty as well but remember they'll have to show that the issue was caused by the headers or tune. There is nothing saying that it abslutely voids the drivetrain warranty automatically and like someone mentioned once before...I've yet to here of someone getting voided just because of headers/tune. Cam and blower is a different story.

As far as headers.....you can price around but a set of ceramic coated KOOKS with HF cats from Maryland Speed is pretty hard to beat.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #128
tman52804

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS/RS
I've checked with Maryland speed and they do have very good pricing, but I've found much better pricing on other brand headers such as Texas Speed, Dynatech, Doug Thorley...etc. Just not sure the difference. I know quality of welds, quantity of welds, thickness of tubes, smooth bends, etc all relate back to price. I'm skeptical, Kooks are twice the price of some of those that I mentioned and I've priced all header with high flow cats, so that isn't the difference in price.
MGW Short throw shifter
Kooks LT Headers/Hi flow Cats
Vmax TB
tman52804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #129
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman52804 View Post
I've checked with Maryland speed and they do have very good pricing, but I've found much better pricing on other brand headers such as Texas Speed, Dynatech, Doug Thorley...etc. Just not sure the difference. I know quality of welds, quantity of welds, thickness of tubes, smooth bends, etc all relate back to price. I'm skeptical, Kooks are twice the price of some of those that I mentioned and I've priced all header with high flow cats, so that isn't the difference in price.
I'll PM you so we don't keep jacking this thread.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #130
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Great stuff.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #131
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Bump for the new guys, receiving a lot of questions regarding headers and this should help answer them.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #132
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
I know none of the shorty header companies sent units for testing but maybe that was because they didn't want to be compared to long tubes which would make them look bad by comparison. How about a test of just shorties? There's quite a few being made now and it would be worthwhile to know which ones are best.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #133
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
What he said!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #134
JANNETTYRACING

Only One Shorty Header company agreed to the test but never sent a set for testing, because NO other company would Step up.

I can't test anything without the Blessing of the Company to be Fair and not get sued for Slander LOL

Other shops have posted Dyno Sheets of before and after Shorty header installs, results were what I predicted as the Cats are the Main Restriction, and Long Tubes increase Volumetric efficiency which leads to Power Gains.

Ted.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #135
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
I attribute this to us putting our Camaros into hibernation for the Winter and dreaming of what we're going to do for them come Spring time. Doing some advanced planning and how to budget money will help pass the time until we're back on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Bump for the new guys, receiving a lot of questions regarding headers and this should help answer them.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #136
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post
I attribute this to us putting our Camaros into hibernation for the Winter and dreaming of what we're going to do for them come Spring time. Doing some advanced planning and how to budget money will help pass the time until we're back on the road.
Speak yourself. Mine doesn't hibernate.. its ready to pounce. As long as there no snow on the ground. Damn drag radials
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #137
ADIO SS

Drives: 2010 White SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@newera View Post
That's because the folks at ARH are some of the most honest stand up people you will ever meet
I personally can vouch for that... Thanks Nick!!!
- Art

1 7/8" LT w/HF cats - and the sound is 'sweet' with stock exhaust!

Last edited by ADIO SS; 12-03-2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: added text
ADIO SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #138
MG

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
Speak yourself. Mine doesn't hibernate.. its ready to pounce. As long as there no snow on the ground. Damn drag radials
Kudos to you man.
MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #139
SSawdusty
Crewel Jewel

Drives: RJT-2SS-RS-6M
Hi Ted
Going to do some mods this winter, have decided on the American Racing 1-7/8 Headers + X Pipe + cats. Now trying to decide which exhaust Corsa or Borla Atak. Will the Borla axel back bolt up to the pipes supplied with the ARH kit? Does Corsa make an axel back system that will bolt up? Just trying to avoid duplicate piping (less shipping cost) and ease of installation. Any help will be appreciated. Will ask for a quote and information about shipping to Canada when I figure this all out.
Thanks for all your time and work
Mike

SSawdusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #140
JANNETTYRACING

Bumpity Bump.