Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 11-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
thejushinator

Drives: 1999 camaro
Surround sound help

I have been thinking about purchasing a surround sound for my living room. I have a 35" SD TV, but will likely be getting a HDTV within the next year. I was looking in purchasing an adequate surround sound. I am by no means an audiophile, I have never had any kind of surround sound in my house or any kind of aftermarket speakers. Just looking for something with decent sound at a decent price. I dont need a 7.1 surround sound system with 20 speakers and 5000W power.

The main things I am looking for are:
1. Reliable
2. Capable of hooking up to my SD TV, but would also be able to hook up to a HD TV in the future (that is why I like that this one upconverts to 1080p)
3. Good sound, but not overkill for what I am looking for.

Here is the surround sound system I have been looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Home-Thea...tag=slickdeals

If this doesn't look right for what I would like to do, anyone have any suggestions ?

Also, I have never hooked up a surround sound system, do they just hook into the red/white audio in the back of the TV then play surround sound from whatever is on the TV ?
thejushinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Anything SONY is good.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
Scrapppy666

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black/Black
What you have there is probably sufficient. If you can wait until black Friday, there are a lot of good deals on these. I'd look for something 1000w just for the hell of it, you won't pay much more if any more at all. Any system will work with a SD tv (which will likely use RCA or component or optical) The HD would likely use the HDMI so you would probably want to look for a home theater setup that is HDMI ready for your future purchase. Stick with reputable brands if you can

Pittsburgh Automotive Photography
Black on Black 2SS/RS w/ white stripes Dynomax 3" Bullet Catback, CAI Cold Air Intake
Scrapppy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
being his first post id remove the reefer part of the link, link still works, no way for anyone to profit on it then. As anyone who clicks said link will get a reefer cookie, so if you buy anything at amazon he could get credit.
If he is mr slickdeals.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Home-Thea...dp/B001FXEG9W/

ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?tag=slickdeals
Old 11-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
I like Onkyo receivers and Infinity speakers...good quality without costing an arm and a leg. For good prices (and reviews) check out vanns.com.

If you want an all-in-one system, Onkyo makes a few of them as well.

Being that this is your first/only post...did you just come here for home theater advice? if so, I'm sure there's plenty of HT forums that you might try.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
thejushinator

Drives: 1999 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
I like Onkyo receivers and Infinity speakers...good quality without costing an arm and a leg. For good prices (and reviews) check out vanns.com.

If you want an all-in-one system, Onkyo makes a few of them as well.

Being that this is your first/only post...did you just come here for home theater advice? if so, I'm sure there's plenty of HT forums that you might try.
No, I own a camaro and have been lurking this site for many months. Just created an account. About the slickdeals thing, I just copied and pasted it from my post I made on slickdeals. Sorry about that.
thejushinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejushinator View Post
No, I own a camaro and have been lurking this site for many months. Just created an account. About the slickdeals thing, I just copied and pasted it from my post I made on slickdeals. Sorry about that.
no worries
Old 11-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Always plan ahead. Might not need 7.1 now but maybe in the future. You will save money this way.

HD TV - LED/LCD or Plasma make sure you get a 1080P picture is amazing. You can get a larger TV if you go with Plasma

Speakers - Sony/Bose/Infinity/Polk to just name a few. If you wanted step up go with B&W or M&K.

Make sure you get a powered sub - this brings a home theater to life

Receiver - Onkyo makes great units. Also Denon and Hamron Kardon Make sure you get one that has True HD so you can take advantage of the Blu Ray sound.

I am a huge theater buff...I have to many expensive hobbies...LOL
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post

I am a huge theater buff...I have to many expensive hobbies...LOL
You aint the only one!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Op you have some more info for us? What are you using for sources? Sat, dvd, Blu-ray, Video game system etc etc. What kind of outputs/inputs does your receiver have? HDMI, optical, componet, AV etc etc....
You want to make sure your system matches output/input wise!

Let us know what all your using and Im sure we could help ya out!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Glad your real

Again anything Sony is good good good for the money and what you get.
Of course buy matched sets, unless you’re a pro. For what ever you pay, they put together a good package that works together and sounds good together, so not to tarnish their name. Even the cheap $300 sets are matched to sound great. Where other brands don’t care a much as they only focus on the top of the line.

Even in a car system, the only thing I do different is use Pioneer DEH head units.SuperTuner is great [can shave antenna and need nothing extra like boosters.]And they pack them full of audiophile goodies for clean sound where it needs to start; in the head unit. Sony makes some good car amps though, they don’t blow smoke up your butt on what it does.
You get the wattage you paid for. Even if you believe you can get one twice as big for the same price.

Though I like SoundStorm speakers, not so known brand but they don’t skimp or hide anything.They got full specs of each product with 3 lines for each. You know what you’re buying.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #12
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Wink

as nice and handy as the HTIB (home theater in a box) are I prefer a stand alone A/V receiver you can get them at best buy for under 200 and up. I paid 178 for my 700 watt 7.1 (even though i only have 5 speakers hooked to it) Pioneer. Hooked up to it is 5 speakers VERY nice used JVC's my brother gave to me (freebies rule!) and KLH for the center speaker (sitting under my TV in a TV stand) and KLH for the rear's behind my bed.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #13
BigDaddy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Onkyo is probably the best sound system I have ever owned. I would have to recommend them over anything else on the market.