Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 10-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #1
shmmee

Drives: 2012 camaro LS convertable
Is the sub amp signal Amp'd or pre-amp? (non BA unit)

I'm working through a stereo upgrade for my 2012 vert. I've routed the stock head unit's side speaker channels through a 4 channel amp (via it's high level inputs), replaced the side speakers and i'm gearing up to tackle the sub next.

Does anyone know if the signal going to the stock subwoofer amp is a pre-amp signal (without RCA cables) or is it amplified by the head unit and then sent to the stock subwoofer amp to be amplified further? Neither situation makes a lot of sense to me.

I'll be sending the subwoofer signal through a pioneer D7901 mono amp to an infinity Kappa 1000 speaker - but i'm not sure if I should be sending it through the amps high level inputs or if i'm working with a pre-amp'd signal that Chevy decided to sneak through normal wires instead of the normal RCA cables. Guessing wrong would probably damage the amp.

So... how have you treated the subwoofer signal when you upgraded your subwoofer? Amplified or pre-amplified? Do i need to pass the signal through a line out converter or do I just hook the input wires to the high level input on the amp and carry on?
shmmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:37 PM   #2
lemontwist

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
most just use the fark harness i saved the money and upgraded the radio and ran rca's but all said and done that cost me 700 doing my own install.that fark thing is around 70 or 80 bucks.plus rca's
i think the stock radio is low level without rca's then gets amped if you are doing away with the stock amp i think you could just turn the inputs to the factory amp into rca's and plug right into you amp...but don't hold me to that
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:25 AM   #3
shmmee

Drives: 2012 camaro LS convertable
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
most just use the fark harness i saved the money and upgraded the radio and ran rca's but all said and done that cost me 700 doing my own install.that fark thing is around 70 or 80 bucks.plus rca's
i think the stock radio is low level without rca's then gets amped if you are doing away with the stock amp i think you could just turn the inputs to the factory amp into rca's and plug right into you amp...but don't hold me to that
Looks like you're right on the money. It may be a special feature of my amp, but after pouring over the instructions *hides man-card* I can chop and solder the input leads from the subs amp harness and hack them into an RCA cable. My Pioneer GM-D9701 will automatically detect if it's a high level input or a low level input and set itself up accordingly. If it's a high level signal, it also uses that signal as a remote turn on lead - so I wouldn't have to worry about that wire either. Before I picked an amp, i was planning on running the subwoofer remote wire through a cut off switch so I could turn the amp off while I'm driving through my neighborhood at 6am. I would of been awful confused if I installed and flipped that switch and the sub just kept rolling. This amp has a remote volume dial which should be even better.
shmmee is offline   Reply With Quote