Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
PGZL1
 
PGZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 43
Bugs

The past couple of times I drove my car and it got splattered with a lot of bugs. I have been using waterless wash to take the bug guts off, but is that the correct way to take care of the guts? If I have time to wash it, I do a complete wash, but in between washes is it alright to do waterless wash? Thanks.
__________________
2014 CRT ZL1 M6, 5 Spokes, ECF, Nav, Suede, Recaros, Sunroof
Ordered 7/30/13
8/8/13-1100
8/29/13-3000 TPW 9/9
9/9/13-BUILT #596
9/30/13-Delivered!
PGZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
ChibiBlackSheep

 
ChibiBlackSheep's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southeast, PA
Posts: 1,769
Either waterless wash or quick detailer and a nice plush microfiber shouldn't hurt anything.

I keep a quick detailer in the car, just for the bugs, or random bird droppings.
__________________

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS | 1968 Camaro SS | 2000 Monte Carlo SS | 2018 Regal TourX
ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
charlietuna

 
charlietuna's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGZL1 View Post
The past couple of times I drove my car and it got splattered with a lot of bugs. I have been using waterless wash to take the bug guts off, but is that the correct way to take care of the guts? If I have time to wash it, I do a complete wash, but in between washes is it alright to do waterless wash? Thanks.
Waterless wash is my go to. Buy optimum no rinse and dilute it with distilled water in a spray bottle. After a drive I spray them down liberally with ONR and let it dwell for a few minutes. Then I put the spray bottle on stream and shoot them off. Dry with a microfiber then go over with detail spray. If you have a quality sealant or wax on the front they come right off. Do not let them sit on your paint to long or they will etch the paint.
__________________
Laus Deo
charlietuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07


 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow V6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,362
I prefer UWW+ for this. But ONR is tops too

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
__________________
[B]
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
PGZL1
 
PGZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 43
Thanks for the responses and recommendations. Looks like I need some more waterless wash! Would you say a plush towel or waffle weave is better for this task?
__________________
2014 CRT ZL1 M6, 5 Spokes, ECF, Nav, Suede, Recaros, Sunroof
Ordered 7/30/13
8/8/13-1100
8/29/13-3000 TPW 9/9
9/9/13-BUILT #596
9/30/13-Delivered!
PGZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
ChibiBlackSheep

 
ChibiBlackSheep's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southeast, PA
Posts: 1,769
I do plush towel to wipe and waffle weave to dry.
__________________

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS | 1968 Camaro SS | 2000 Monte Carlo SS | 2018 Regal TourX
ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #7
CamaroDreams07


 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow V6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGZL1 View Post
Thanks for the responses and recommendations. Looks like I need some more waterless wash! Would you say a plush towel or waffle weave is better for this task?
Either one. I generally carry plush.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
__________________
[B]
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #8
Angelo@Autopia
 
Angelo@Autopia's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietuna View Post
Waterless wash is my go to. Buy optimum no rinse and dilute it with distilled water in a spray bottle. After a drive I spray them down liberally with ONR and let it dwell for a few minutes. Then I put the spray bottle on stream and shoot them off. Dry with a microfiber then go over with detail spray. If you have a quality sealant or wax on the front they come right off. Do not let them sit on your paint to long or they will etch the paint.
Bingo! Great answer
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #9
DylanVK
 
Drives: a few
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 507
Yep.... the sooner you can remove them the easier they'll come off. Its when they sit for a few days and bake on that you really start to struggle not only with removal, but then you have to contend with the residual damage left behind.

If you get into a situation where you have more substantial bugs on there that you haven't been able to remove with more mild approaches I highly recommend Road Trip Grim Destroyer. Its a thicker, gel-like consistency, it clings to the panels and breaks down bug guts and road tar without causing damage to paint or trim.

Of course b/c its a little more aggressive than a waterless wash product its recommended you apply your preferred wax or sealant afterwards to restore protection to the surfaces that were cleaned.

http://surfcitygarage.com/road-trip-...destroyer.html
__________________

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.