Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-20-2010, 08:09 AM   #57
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Its not GM guys. I am not a GM fan... especially now that its Government Motors but I am a clear bra installer and I hear the same complaing in EVERY forum I go to. It doesnt matter wether its the Mustang, BMW, Corvette, Viper, Ferrari, or 6Speedonline.... everytone is complaining about the same issues. It is the EPA standards that have been implemented over the last few years. Even the Harley Davidson guys are bitching. GM is not going to repaint cars because their hands are tied. This will be something that we will all have to deal with from now on... and it will only get worse. I think the worst part of all of this is its OUR TAX DOLLARS that are paying for these morons at the EPA to regualte OUR LIVES. In the end it all only costs us more money... and if they push Cap And Trade through... we will all be hurting. Not to promote the product but getting a clear bra is really your only solution... or a bra period. Unless you want to repaint your car often... and replace headlights.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #58
sprtplt

Drives: Corvette
I disagree about this being the same problem with Corvettes. Both my late model Corvettes had no chips and I have frequented Corvette forums for years and have not seen this level of complaints.
The EPA thing, I absolutely agree.
sprtplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #59
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Drives: COTW 3/5/12
my car has 12000 miles and the chipping is gross!!!

so many chips... the rocker panels are down to the the primer almost my gills have about 60-70 chips..

my paint also peeled off today on the passenger side... where theres a crease in the back panel... peeling off!!!

omg starting to think the camaro was a mistake... i just cant handle my car looking 10 years old already

lets see what GM does
tmac1granger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:33 AM   #60
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
I am trying to collect some data and am wondering if you guys with excessive chipping could get the mil thickness of you paint tested. I have requested our shops paint rep bring me a tester and plan to test my car at the Gill areas (both sides), hood and fenders. If the paint is thinner than GM specs (which I need to get) we have a case. Anybody that gets that info contact me under a private message. I will post a thread when I have enough data. We also have a thread going under Waxing/Detailing requesting this info.
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #61
OSearcy4

Drives: 2010 Camaro
GM is really sticking together with dealers on this. I have the same problem took pics and video of it at around 2800 miles. I have a 97 camaro and the paint never chipped on it. They keep saying its not their fault that even if they repaint it, it will chip again.
WELL PAINT THE FOCKIN THING RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!
Makes me wonder about the rest of the car, i'm sure the engine will blow just a few miles after I change the oil and that will void the warranty somehow.
We need to start a petition to GM. Like one guy said strength in numbers. We should mail it to everyone having this issue and see how many signatures we can get. Makes me regret buying a $35,000 car with a $500 paint job.
OSearcy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #62
OSearcy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
Its not GM guys. I am not a GM fan... especially now that its Government Motors but I am a clear bra installer and I hear the same complaing in EVERY forum I go to. It doesnt matter wether its the Mustang, BMW, Corvette, Viper, Ferrari, or 6Speedonline.... everytone is complaining about the same issues. It is the EPA standards that have been implemented over the last few years. Even the Harley Davidson guys are bitching. GM is not going to repaint cars because their hands are tied. This will be something that we will all have to deal with from now on... and it will only get worse. I think the worst part of all of this is its OUR TAX DOLLARS that are paying for these morons at the EPA to regualte OUR LIVES. In the end it all only costs us more money... and if they push Cap And Trade through... we will all be hurting. Not to promote the product but getting a clear bra is really your only solution... or a bra period. Unless you want to repaint your car often... and replace headlights.
I understand the EPA thing but why cant they just put a better thicker clear coat that would solve everything.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #63
OSearcy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd-camaro View Post
hey just some info for you guys....

i emailed chevy cutomer service through www.chevy.com. i wrote a little paragraph explaining to them the issues i am having with the paint chipping, in a nice way of course. got a 'no-reply' email short (within the hour) saying they will contact me today during a certain time period. i was like wow ok that was quick. so a guy called me at exactly the time they said they would! i talked to him and he said they "should" cover it because i am still under the bumper to bumper warranty. he asked me if i ever went to the dealer with this issue and so on...he put me on hold for about 5 minutes while he called my dealer personally and talked to the body shop to set up an appointment for me to go and have them inspect it. after he was done he pick up the line again saying that alls i need to do is go to my dealer body shop anytime they are open and have them look at it to decide.

i think everyone with this issue should do this. it is painless and better than just letting it go.

hey even if they say its not covered and they wont do it for free it wont bother me too much. at least i tried and knew for a fact that they wouldnt cover it because if they did and i didnt do what i just did then shame on me.

I did the same thing. Have you taken it in yet? Cuz they aren't gonna warranty it. Paint is covered for 12,000 miles or 1 year however they dont cover anything. I took mine in about a week ago with 3500 miles on it and they said rock chips are "natural causes" bull. The paint is too thin and clear coat is too thin if there even is a clear coat. They tried to blame it on the possibilty i drove through bad conditions, yea first thing i did when i bought it was go do doughnuts in a gravel parking lot haha not. check out the pic. Its like this on both sides and the front bumper.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #64
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Drives: 2SS/RS - IBM LS3 M6
1500 miles and a chip on the hood!?! and a couple of dings (no paint missing) on the front spoiler area below the fog lights. I am going in for a clear bra on Saturday. There is another 600 dollars on a new car....
Old 04-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #65
OSearcy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9SevenSS View Post
I'm having the same issues. Paint scratches like a cat was dancing in front of the mail slot on my SS. Also, chips (10 or more) on each side where the gills are. Various scratches elsewhere (like A pillars) and it just gets worse looking at it after ever wash.

Told the service dept about paint issues when I brought it in about 2 weeks after delivery last november, and they said paint issues were not covered under warranty without even looking at the car. I'm researching now to see what we can do, because I think we all agree this isn't cool...

I was told paint is covered for 12,000 miles or 1 year, however that's crap cuz they are just gonna blame it on something else so they dont have to repaint it. GM is becoming crooks ruining a beautiful car with very poor craftsmanship. Give the camaro to ford please let someone else give it a try. haha
Old 04-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #66
OSearcy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texhawk View Post
My question would be, is the Camaro the only GM car that uses this paint process? I suspect most chips are just due to the design of the car on the sides, and following too close for front end damage.
Be glad you don't have an $85,000 Z06 and are still getting chips on the rocker panels and in front of the rear wheels.
If you drive the cars, you are going to get some rock damage.

If you want to eliminate most chips, have the car covered with 3M protective film on the sides and front end. I have seen this on a lot of Corvettes and Vipers, but you have to do it when the car rolls off the hauler.
http://www.clearmask.com/3M-films.php

How much does this clear bra cost? anyone had it done?
I think since its mostly camaros it has to be an issue with the plant they are painted at. I'm sure thats the only car they build at that plant.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #67
cplhester

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Manual
Just found a second chip on my driver side gills! Only have 3,000 miles on the car....
cplhester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #68
HeaterMan

Drives: 2018 PP GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSearcy4 View Post
I understand the EPA thing but why cant they just put a better thicker clear coat that would solve everything.
I doubt the EPA has any jurisdiction in canada where the car was built. i suspect GM used less materials to save money
HeaterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #69
LVR

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS Manual
I've had a Black 2SS for a 2 months now. I got a couple of small chips on the deck lid on a trip I took to Vegas from some rocks that were kicked up by a truck. It annoyed me but chips happen. Upon inspection of the chips what blew me away was how thin the paint is on the car. Anyone else notice that your car?

BTW with the design of the body around the rear wheels... EXPECT paint chips in front of the rear wheels. I've seen it over and over with that type of fender design. Best to cover that area with a clear material from 3M. Check out a place that applies clear bras.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #70
paul2010

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1278
Wait until you are at about 10k miles. Look whats in store for you!
Attached Images

2012 ZL1 #1278

2010 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
2011 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
paul2010 is offline   Reply With Quote