Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-18-2019, 02:25 PM   #1
Dbunch9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Looking for advice

So this might not be the right area to post this, if its not i apologize. But anyways, i'm going to have to redo my driveline in the next few months cause my driveshaft has slop, axle seals are leaking BAD, diff is making noise while cruising and sometimes if I lay into it theres a real nice pop somewhere in the driveline. So i definitely dont want to replace everything with stock parts because i feel like the added power of heads/cam will cause it to wear out again in a year or so. I also want to gear the car a little better to get out of the whole and stay in the powerband better between shifts. Strength/price wise i feel the ZL1 driveline/subframe option is great, the 3.73s would add a little pep to the car (im an LS3 M6), i believe ive read the ZL1 subframe has different bushings throughout that help with wheel hop a bit (could be mistaken though) and the driveline seems to be pretty strong from what i read. I know another option ive thought about was 4.10s, eaton diff, DSS driveshaft/axles. Price seems to be around the same as the ZL1 but id also need to spend a little extra money to help with wheel hop. With all that being said im thinking maybe after i do different heads, different cam and an intake to get more out of it n/a i might want to add a centrifugal supercharger way down the road. So my question is... from experience of others, would the zl1 setup and 3.73s be enough gear for a few years trying to have a badass n/a setup until i can boost, or do i aim to go aftermarket parts, 4.10s and then change the rear gear when i'm ready to boost? Hate to be the guy that says "whats better Y or Z?" But for me its a lot of money and i want to make the right choice. Any help is appreciated. If anyone is wondering my N/A goals, i'm really intrigued by the big cam, LOD intake, spinning 7500rpm builds and thats what im aiming for/ working towards.
Dbunch9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
I'm ZL1 back half with over 750 whp. No issues yet.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #3
Dbunch9

The question is more about the gear honestly. Am i wasting my time trying to be fast n/a without the 4.10s or would 3.73s hold me over and work well enough until i can boost? Seems like the gears would be forever long shifting past 7000rpm with 3.73s
Old 03-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #4
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
I know of many 6 second na cars with 3.91s. If you want to spend the money twice going from 4.10/3.91 to a more appropriate 3.73/3.50 for fi, it's your money. Personally, I did the fi first and then the gearing, then the trans.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Anything less than a 4.10 in an M6 NA car is a not realizing the full potential of a gear change. A big cam and an LOD is gonna be pretty sleep on the bottom in a 4,000lbs car and want all the gear you can stuff into it. Do a nice 4.10/trutrac/LPW cover setup now, and then you can sell that for most of what a ZL1 swap will cost you down the road if you end up going forced induction and making enough power to warrant backing the gear down.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #6
Dbunch9

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Anything less than a 4.10 in an M6 NA car is a not realizing the full potential of a gear change. A big cam and an LOD is gonna be pretty sleep on the bottom in a 4,000lbs car and want all the gear you can stuff into it. Do a nice 4.10/trutrac/LPW cover setup now, and then you can sell that for most of what a ZL1 swap will cost you down the road if you end up going forced induction and making enough power to warrant backing the gear down.
I do agree on the gear, i just also need axles and a driveshaft no matter which route i go cause it seems the driveshaft all the way to the axles is going bad. So a $4-5000 in a trutrac, gear, driveshaft, axles, install kit/tools for gear install and then bushings/control arms/ trailing arms. Im in pretty deep money wise with that setup, so i guess i need to decide do i wanna suffer from lack of gear but save time/ money or spend more money now, be faster and spend more money later when changing gear. Jeez this hobby is a pain sometimes hahaha
Old 03-19-2019, 03:10 PM   #7
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbunch9 View Post
I do agree on the gear, i just also need axles and a driveshaft no matter which route i go cause it seems the driveshaft all the way to the axles is going bad. So a $4-5000 in a trutrac, gear, driveshaft, axles, install kit/tools for gear install and then bushings/control arms/ trailing arms. Im in pretty deep money wise with that setup, so i guess i need to decide do i wanna suffer from lack of gear but save time/ money or spend more money now, be faster and spend more money later when changing gear. Jeez this hobby is a pain sometimes hahaha
Yea, if you're buying all that stuff, you could just buy a Lingenfelter or Strange diff with driveshaft and axles, and then go even crazier on the gear for an all motor car. If I had it to do all over again, I would have just done a Lingenfelter rear with a 4.56. It's nearly a $6k investment, but multiple diff rebuilds get you close to that after a bit!
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:06 PM   #8
Dbunch9

Well let me ask this... maybe you dont know the answer, if not no worries. But i already have ported heads and the SS3 which you probably already know. Would the LOD match well with that? Or is the intake still gonna bump the rpm range up another 500-750rpm? Guess i could do the LOD and keep the head/cam setup i already have but if i keep making power past 7k then so be it. Then do the ZL1 rear end and plan for boost sooner instead of doing the max n/a first. Kind of meet in the middle. Sorry i was thinking out loud towards the end haha