Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #71
Shift_Rejected
2010 2SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS (L99)
Many of us former V6ers ended up trading to a SS.. It may sting for a couple days but you will get over it pretty quickly with the new found permagrin...Once you get that itch, it's hard to cure..

That's my 2cents
Shift_Rejected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #72
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post

You keep saying that you don't want to go into debt again, but at the same time, you keep talking about taking on a project that will end up costing you many times over what trading up would cost you. When all is said and done you're either going to end up leaving your car a V6, or you're going to trade it for a SS, because those are the only two cost effective ways to go.
Its no use man, we have already told him that about 7 times now.

I'm leaving this thread for good, because reading it makes me...

Good luck OP, I wish you the best.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #73
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
I know you said upgrading isn't an option, but it is actually more affordable then building an engine and you get much more then the engine.

You get a new warranty, upgraded suspension, stronger running gear, a better transmission, and a new no mileage car. There is also the option of buying a used SS.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #74
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
I really wanted to keep my Synergy Green LLT, so I looked into swapping a LFX in and it was much cheaper to trade the car in. That's swapping a V6 for a V6, I can tell you swapping a LSx motor in will be MUCH more expensive.

I know you love your current car and fully understand you want to keep it. So, consider this. Pay it off and keep it. Start saving all the money you would use for the swap and buy a used SS as a second car. You keep the V6 for a DD and build away on the SS. You will stay out of debt, always have a reliable DD and TWO 5th Gen Camaros!
Old 11-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #75
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyk-NO View Post
he did include the harnesses but yea if all said and done and if I did my math right i might go for a trade in if an ss would be 25k
Check this car out, and just using this for an example of what you can get if you are patient and do your homework. Guy started at $30k and is now at $29 OBO, holy crap!!!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325366

Point is, you will be seeing 2010-11's fully loaded 2SS/RS out there by someone for $20k, which I hate to say as my $40k 2012 2SS/RS vert ain't appreciating....................

Anyways, hope you go this route or you are going to give a few guys here aneurysms.

And no offense but wish the emoticons had a dope slap, ha.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #76
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: Camaro Jeep Abarth 944 325i
OP, if you're not gonna listen to someone who HAS built an LSX then who are you going to listen to? That guy has already done what you want to do and he is warning you what to expect yet you still don't listen.

This isn't a heated up thread at all. This is educated people who have been through the process you are trying to go through who are passing on top notch information.

We aren't trying to destroy your dreams, we are simply educating you on the expenses, time, and headaches you will face.

At the end of the day there's the old saying, "Sometimes you just have to learn things on your own." We don't care if you decide to do this or not, we are simply letting you know what to expect if you do it. I'll say it again, I wish you the best of luck if you decide to do it and I will undoubtedly be interested to follow in the process.

Suspension Mods: BMR and JPSS Sways, BMR Poly Bushings, BMR strut tower brace, BMR control arms, BMR toe arms, stock springs and struts
Engine Mods: All bolt ons (haha)
Brake Mods: Brembo SS caliper swap front and rear
Airmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #77
need4spd

Drives: 2012 2SS Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-16 Camaro View Post
I'd buy an SS, removed the badges and install a V6 front faciata. Much cheaper sleeper in my opinion.

Also I don't understand the attachment to your car. What has your car done for you that another Camaro can't? They are built equally...
He already has coilovers and wheels.

current ride - 2012 Black on Black 2SS RS w/ sunroof, muffler delete with SLP exhaust tips, rotofab cai, gm strut brace, BMR 1.4 drop springs all four corners, Stainless Power 1 7/8 long tubes, Hex Vents, Jannetty Racing Tune, Helmholtz J pipe, MMR 228 Z28 replica wheels.
need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #78
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
unless you find a V8 camaro with extensive Hale you could just put that money down on a V8 for the same amount of time it will take you to pay off the car you have now and might even have a cheaper payment. In the end you will have a car you spent way more on then if you had bought a V8 and it will be worth less then a V6 because the engine swap will make it less valuable because it wasnt done buy a professional shop. What if some ja hit you. you will only get the replacement for a v6.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #79
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Just pay the car off, save up the money and put an IPF Supercharger on it. You don't need any upgrades for it to work, it actually works great on a stock engine.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #80
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
If your set on the LSX route here are a few things, just off the top of my head to look at. LSX will require a different transmission and different ECU and wiring. You'll need to upgrade your rear diff and driveshafts, You'll need new mounts for all those items. I don't know if your stock shifter and clutch cylinders will work with the V8 tranny so You may need to change those. You will need to look at all your assessory items to see if they will need replaced or not. A/C compresser, Altenator, even your intake and exaust will need to be changed. Your front springs will need to be changed to support a little more weight (I'm sure your current setup can handle the weight, but it will through off your handling). You will also want to consider upgrading your brakes. You won't be just swapping out an engine like you use to be abole to do back in the 60's and 70's. Now day's it means your replacing most of the drivetrain.

That being said, only you can deside if it's the route that you want to take. My personal opinion would be to either look at trading the car for an SS model or building on the original design. You can turbo or super charge the V6 far easier and cheaper then doing an LSX into a V6 model, but even boosting the engine will need supporting modds to consider such as updrading the clutch, rear diff and shafts. Plus reprograming the ECU and an intake and exhaust to handle all the extra airflow.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #81
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
yea Ill just wait till I jump on this, Ill let my car get paid off and like I said if I found an ss for 25k or less by mid next year i might consider trading in I guess Ill just take a 10k+
hit on another loan.

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #82
Da Mammer

Drives: 2010 camaro SS... shell...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyk-NO View Post
yea Ill just wait till I jump on this, Ill let my car get paid off and like I said if I found an ss for 25k or less by mid next year i might consider trading in I guess Ill just take a 10k+
hit on another loan.
Say your v6 is worth 15 and you find an SS for 25 that's a 10k difference but you just save d yourself from having to buy:

Transmission 3k
Clutch/flywheel 2k
Engine harness 1200
Accessory drive $500? (Another thing I forgot on my list)
An engine block 1500-2k
Intake $400
Components that can be reused (heads, manifold, timing covers, sensors, mounts, ect) 2,000, 3,000+...

The list goes on and on and right there you just broke even. With the 14k you quoted earlier that would leave you 4k off the bat to buy aftermarket engine components which is a pretty decent start to a build. Get an SS and then build your engine for a platform that was already designed to have the v8. Nobody will chastise you for it. The reason you see all these LS swaps into some old v6 car is because the cars several years back didn't have the integration of the computers between the engine and body that they do now. Did you know if your car ECU detects a misfire that your traction control module will freak and put a "service stabilitrak" light up? What do you think it would do if it's told there are now 8 cylinders firing instead of 6?
Get the v8 car. It's the right choice. You'll thank yourself later when you have a nice car and a wad of cash to invest for yourself and family...or supercharger (I won't judge)