Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 05-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
Which RPMS to shift for drag.

okay I have a manual v6 with no tune. It's my first time to drag my car so main question is when to shift RPM wise for each gear? and also until what gear do you usually go up to on the strip? do you guys go all the way until 6th?

people had been getting good times up here in AK because the air is cold and DA is pretty good my buddy's bone stock not even an aftermarket exhaust and intake s2000 runs 13.7 and most stock wrx and sti mid 13 runs so just curious what can i run with mine. JUST A DRAG NEWB lol

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Hey dyk-no, the more your engine revs the more power it produces. And unlike a forced induction motor, naturally aspirated motors usually produce power until redline. One tip I can give you is to try to get as close to the rev limiter as you can without passing it. Because the moment you hit the limiter, your engine cuts power. As for the gearing it depends on the car, but you shouldn't pass 4th or 5th gear unless you have a really steep rear axle ratio.
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
I'm really new at this would you see the rpm, not kick anymore and stop at a certain reading or its just a matter of feel that it's loosing power?

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #4
LS7 427
10.11 @ 136.32

Drives: Black & Yellow 2SS/RS LPE LS7 427
You'll know if you hit the rev limiter. It just dies instantly, there will be no mistaking it.

Bryan

Built, Tuned and Maintained By........
LS7 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
First time to track today.

Only did three passes. Let's just say my ET's were laughable, even on street tires. Mods should put me in mid to high 12's eventually but needs tons of practice.

I shaved threes seconds off my times between the 1st and 3rd passes. That alone is from waiting to shift until 6200 RPM. Was shifting too soon.

Need to launch much better. Was basically launching at idle. Lots of fun but need to make huge improvements.
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
SGDM

Drives: 2016 2SS

Who Dares...Wins
SGDM is offline   Reply With Quote