Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
koolaidjammer16

Drives: '03 'Stang
Removing Vinyl Rally Stripes?

Is this dangerous to do to the car? I'm at the dealership now, looking at a camaro with black stripes, but I want them removed. Dealer says they won't remove them because they don't want to be responsible for any scratches that happen (unless I pay them to remove it, I'm guessing). Is this simple and safe for me to do at home?
koolaidjammer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
koolaidjammer16

Drives: '03 'Stang
And I apologize if there's a thread about this, searching on my iPhone is kinda frustrating! Haha
koolaidjammer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
laserjim
Another Day In Paradise

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS
I have removed decals in the past using a blow dryer. Just heat them up and start peeling.Should not be a problem,they havent been on there that long, they should come off fairly easy.
IMO
laserjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Echo the hair dryer plan. I did the same thing to my 2010 when I bought it and they peeled off very easily. A little Goo Gone to remove the residue and it's like you never had those stripes to begin with.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
winston2ss
YDLYLB

Drives: Cgm 2ssrs
I removed my silver stripes 7 months after I bought the car. I used a heat gun to heat the stripe as I peeled. Had no issues at all.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2019 OC 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjim View Post
I have removed decals in the past using a blow dryer. Just heat them up and start peeling.Should not be a problem,they havent been on there that long, they should come off fairly easy.
IMO
On a side note... If you are able to take them off with a hair dryer, wouldn't the car sitting in the sun do the same effect? I'm looking to get a Camaro sometime soon (hopefully if I can find a way to afford it) and I was thinking about putting my own stripes on and that would concern me. How would it not peel in the sun? Or do you have to pick at it to get it to start coming?

**Forgive me if I'm dumb for asking this. I'm not the smartest person about cars, but I am trying to learn :-)
MackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
winston2ss
YDLYLB

Drives: Cgm 2ssrs
You got to pick at it. I started on a corner of one stripe on the hood closest to the windshield. I used a heat gun to get it hot enough to peel. If you get the vinyl too hot it will just break in little pieces when you're peeling.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2019 OC 1SS/1LE
I see that makes me feel better. I figured you'd have to pick at it to get it started, otherwise there would be a lot of people talking more about their stripes starting to peel off in the sun.
MackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #9
live2well

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
Dude tell them you wont but the car unless the vinyl is removed. You can always find the same car some where else.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
Bond
Heritage Hanger

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, Black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2well View Post
Dude tell them you wont but the car unless the vinyl is removed. You can always find the same car some where else.

I went through something similar. I found the exact car that I had planned on ordering sitting on a dealer's lot... except for the white rally stripes. So I asked if they could have them removed. The sales manager said "probably".

So about a week before purchase, I dropped in to see if they had removed the stripes as promised and they were still there. When I inquired, it was the same deal of being afraid of damage and fading. So when I explained that keeping the stripes on would be a deal breaker, they sent the car to have them professionally removed that day. The couple hundred they spent was made back in the purchase so to speak, so there really wasn't a challenge in convincing them. Easy stuff!

Keeping The Spirit Alive!
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
koolaidjammer16, I would like to echo both live2well and Bond here. The dealership would be able to customize the car in most ways at your request. If you are seriously looking into purchasing the vehicle then I would see no problem for them to take off the stripes for you. You may also wish to do this yourself where other suggestions would be helpful for you in this area.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #12
VintageLover

Drives: Bumblebee
Need your help....

I used to have to park in the street in the California sun and over time my rally stripes cracked and started looking like crap. I thought it would be easy (ha!) and after I took off the stripes, there's this black paint/fade where they were.

Is there any way to get that out? Or is the paint messed up?

If there's no way to get the black out, anyone know where to get the U shaped trunk rally stripe?
Attached Images

VintageLover is offline   Reply With Quote