Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #43
ZYAL8R

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Tint for me all the way around...including an "eyebrow" to the legal As-1 line, but no more than that on the windshield. I think it's a bad idea to go with the whole windshield thing. I mean you are going to be driving a car that will out-run your eyesight in terms of seeing things on the road that you need to avoid or brake for and doing this will only make reaction time slower.

This reminds me of the time when I had a 10 inch eyebrow on the windshield and a state trooper pulled me over for it. Reason she said was "I couldn't tell when I passed you if this vehicle had a driver".. WTF?

I told her I was sitting on the side of the road driving my S-10 with my remote control.

84' Chevy S-10
91' Chevy S-10 Ext. Cab
90' GMC Sierra Reg. Cab 350 V8
2003 GMC Sierra HD 4x4 Crew 6.0
2005 GMC Yukon 5.3
2008 GMC Ext. Cab 4x4 5.3
2008 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3
This truck man is about to go for something a little more sporty.
ZYAL8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #44
ttazzijr700

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
Michigan's is weird...

Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows: Any darkness can be applied 4" inches from the top of the window. (wtf?)
Back Side Windows: Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

I've been thinking about this too, but I'm still undecided...
Michigans laws are retarded for just about anything. Well i live in MI and am getting a black camaro. Do you guys think it would look good with the back side and rear window tinted, or would the look suffer from having half the car tinted and half not?
ttazzijr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:53 PM   #45
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PewterPhil View Post
Good info. I like the idea of a visor strip but not sure if even that is legal here. I will check.

These are they guys that I have talked to about it. http://solartechglasstinting.com/ He is charging me only the cost of material if I let him post my car on his page. Looks like they use a 3M product.

Mainly privacy but I'll take all benefits you get with tinting.

This worries me also but surely tint installers have dealt with this on other cars that have the same feature. Or not?

Also, does anyone here know if the small rear side windows are already tinted from the factory? Thanks for all the responses. Camaro5 rocks.

Just disconnect the battery and stop any automatic window drop from happening.
Treadstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:00 AM   #46
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttazzijr700 View Post
Michigans laws are retarded for just about anything. Well i live in MI and am getting a black camaro. Do you guys think it would look good with the back side and rear window tinted, or would the look suffer from having half the car tinted and half not?

Hey i grew up there and did a black monte and I did limo on the back and sides and, then on the front side windows, did 35%, still tints it and makes it look even compared to the back windows, but you can still see out and it never got me pulled over, i ordered a black one and and thats what I am going to do with mine.
nards444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #47
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Ive become anal as ive gotten older i hate window tinting. Unless its inside the glass from the factory. I always had problems with the side windows when going up and down rubbing the tint then start peeling on the corners over time.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:19 AM   #48
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Michigan does have some funny rules. But I can tell from being in the military i live in NY and have been in other states. What I can tell you MI laws and regulation are more user friendly then other states. Although I would agree some MI laws can be querky.
nards444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #49
TheGrimReaperToMustangs

Drives: 1985 Camaro
In Missouri it is the usual 35% on the driver and passenger windows and pitch black on the back. I had mine done pitch black all the way around except no windshield and I have never been pulled over by a cop. I even got a speeding ticket and the cop never said one word about the tint.
TheGrimReaperToMustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #50
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam10RS View Post
Is this a chemical tint, so then you don't have to worry a peeling or bubbles.
I see there are many here who haven't seen the 3M Crystalline or it's competitors. It's film- not chemical. You can have the clear version legally in my state. I know you can get it in some states with a prescription. You can get a prescription from an eye doctor or dermatologist. It won't bubble if installed right. If you live somewhere hot, it's good stuff.

From inside you can barely tell it's there. If you are wearing polarized glasses, you may get some rainbowing.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #51
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM

Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
I was just reading the vehicle portfolio. Its like a breakdown of everything in the vehicle. It can be seen here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17032

Anyway there is something in there that peaked my interest: (page 12)
Quote:
WINDOW INDEXING
To provide a tight seal, the window will automatically open slightly when the door is
opened and then automatically close when the door is closed.
If battery power is disconnected, follow the Owner Manual procedure for initializing the indexing feature.
Now if what is being said above is true then that would mean that before you go and get your window tinted all you need to do is disconnect the battery for like 5 mins and then the index feature wont work until you reinitialize it through whatever steps its says in the manual.

Tell me that isn't the best news today...
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #52
catdaddy

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
I just had my windows tinted today at a reputable shop and they know about the window indexing and it wasn't a problem. I didn't see how they did it but the tint looks great.

I posted some pictures in the media gallery.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23347
catdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #53
PewterPhil

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro
Nice pics Catdaddy. What percentage is that? Also, are the small side windows already tinted from the factory or did you have to get them done as well. Nice car.
3000 = Accepted By Production Control: 3/28/2009
3300 = Scheduled For Production: 5/9/2009
3400 = Broadcast:5/13/2009
3800 = Produced: 5/22/2009
4150 = Invoiced: 5/25/2009
4200 = Shipped: 5/25/2009
5000 = Delivered To Dealer: 6/9/2009

Ordered: Victory red, black stripes, RS/SS auto, sunroof, painted engine cover.
PewterPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:34 AM   #54
SAUCE

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS BLKonBLK
There is no reason to tint the front. It will only cause visual problems as well as legal if you were pulled over. Im doing 5% on back and sides or 5% in back and 15% on the sides. It was said before that doing 5% on the back will make the rest a lil darker and this is true. Doing 5 on back and sides makes it darker from the front as well but is a pain to back up at night. My buddy has to role down his window sometimes to back up because its so dark at night.

2SS RS
CGM
black panel
DT spoiler

Right off the bat:
CAI
FAST LSXr Intake
LT's
SLP loudmouth
SAUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:15 AM   #55
slholle

Drives: 2004 Ext cab Chevy Truck
Go to the eye Doctor and get a letter from him you get migran headaches. That works for me.
slholle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #56
onechuck
Onechuck

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2SS\RS SC & Cammed
I have been tinting windows for about 15 years, the mustang has had windows that do the same thing as the camaro and the corvette. The way to get around this little problem is very easy. You don't have to unhook the battery, all you have to do is take a flat head screwdriver and open the door and lock the mechanism in the door which will trick the car into thinking the door is shut and it will roll the window all the way up. When you are done tinting the window all you have to do is really heat up the bottom of the film with a heat gun and then just open the door by the outside handle and the inside mechanism will open and you can just shut the door. No need for all that work with the battery.
onechuck is offline   Reply With Quote