Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
fgg60
Sweet Annie!! BRM

Drives: '13 2SS/RS 1LE BRM NPP CF5
Matte Black Hood Wrap Re-wrap

OK, so as many of you regular readers of the 1LE forum know, a couple of us here have had some problems with marks on our hood wraps that just wouldn't come out (tbirdsleeve's "Mine" written on the hood is one of the worst!) My dealer agreed to replace mine and I had it done today. The results..... amazing!! It's looks almost better than new. A shout out here to my dealer's installer - Jim from VI Designz in Torrington CT! . He is a true artist and did a great job, I couldn't be happier! Glad I decided to have the wrap put back on, the BRM just didn't look as "badass" without it. a little nerve wracking at times to watch but it all worked out in the end!! Attached are some pictures of the install....
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Looks great...again How did they do the corners of the hood by the windshield?

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
fgg60
Sweet Annie!! BRM

heat gun (verrrrry carefully!) and he just wrapped it under and kept working it , mostly with his fingers. he did the whole hood surface first , then he pulled the edges under and trimmed it.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
tbirdsleeve
CMSgt, USAF

Drives: 2018 Nissan Maxima SR Midnight Edit
Great job--I hope mine comes out just as good--happy for you!!!
tbirdsleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
tbirdsleeve
CMSgt, USAF

Drives: 2018 Nissan Maxima SR Midnight Edit
Is that a GM OEM replacement wrap or aftermarket brand?
tbirdsleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
fgg60
Sweet Annie!! BRM

GM OEM Wrap....dealer provided it... chevroletgraphics.com
Old 04-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
HighMtnSS

Drives: '13 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE, 1 of 139
Looks awesome!!!
HighMtnSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I agree the BRM def looks better with the wrap. The black contrast really helps the BRM color pop more. Good choic having it re-wrapped!!
Old 04-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #9
coreyaustin17
NEC5 C-HOLE CHAMP

Drives: 2013 camaro 2SS/RS 1LE 1 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgg60 View Post
OK, so as many of you regular readers of the 1LE forum know, a couple of us here have had some problems with marks on our hood wraps that just wouldn't come out (tbirdsleeve's "Mine" written on the hood is one of the worst!) My dealer agreed to replace mine and I had it done today. The results..... amazing!! It's looks almost better than new. A shout out here to my dealer's installer - Jim from VI Designz in Torrington CT! . He is a true artist and did a great job, I couldn't be happier! Glad I decided to have the wrap put back on, the BRM just didn't look as "badass" without it. a little nerve wracking at times to watch but it all worked out in the end!! Attached are some pictures of the install....
thats awesome man you should really start coming to some shows with CT 5th gen and a couple other 1LE guys
Old 04-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #10
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Looks great! Luckily, no problems with mine so far & I've only used soap/water on it. One more thumbs us for the dealership too (thought we got our 1LEs from the same place). When I had a new splitter installed, the mechanic parked it away from everything and looked it over with me and the service manager, and the salesman I worked with to be sure I was happy with it.

Did he put anthying on the vinyl after install? Just curious if he used any particular detailing spray.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
right to travel

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 1LE SW
Did doing the concept wrap cross ur mind or was that not possible
right to travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:22 AM   #12
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
I'm glad this is working out for you. But you're putting the same thing on that caused you the problem in the first place. Maybe the care method should change???

Here's what I do and I've posted this several times on the forum; I have not problems with the wrap and I leave my car outside 24x7 ...

1. Wash with foam gun.
2. Gently "scrub" with hand mit.
3. Rinse (and dry) using pooling or sheet method.
4. Finish drying with leaf blower (dedicated to car).
5. Once every 1.5 months protect it with Adams VRT (vinyl, rubber, tire).
6. Spot clean (eg: bird poop) with Garry Dean's infinite use detail juice (one or two caps with 8 oz of distilled water). Note: this takes out hard water stains too if you don't dry it fast enough.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:43 AM   #13
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
I'm glad this is working out for you. But you're putting the same thing on that caused you the problem in the first place. Maybe the care method should change???

Here's what I do and I've posted this several times on the forum; I have not problems with the wrap and I leave my car outside 24x7 ...

1. Wash with foam gun.
2. Gently "scrub" with hand mit.
3. Rinse (and dry) using pooling or sheet method.
4. Finish drying with leaf blower (dedicated to car).

5. Once every 1.5 months protect it with Adams VRT (vinyl, rubber, tire).
6. Spot clean (eg: bird poop) with Garry Dean's infinite use detail juice (one or two caps with 8 oz of distilled water). Note: this takes out hard water stains too if you don't dry it fast enough.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The Junkman2000 method

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
fgg60
Sweet Annie!! BRM

I had it re-wrapped cause I didn't damage it and I wanted it restored to factory specs. If it gets all marked up in a couple of years, I'll revisit doing something different (paint??). anyways, I asked the guy who did the work (who has 12+ years of working with vinyl) what he would recommend to use on it. His answer..... nothing but soap and water!! He said that the matte vinyl is somewhat porous and and that anything you put on it will be absorbed into the vinyl and you will become a slave to whatever your using. He said that he has seen a ton of people start using a product on vinyl for awhile and when they stop applying it is when all the damage starts (cracking, fading, peeling, etc)! His recommendation would be to stick with nothing until it starts to show wear, then the Adam's VRT looked good, as well as McGuire's detail spray, but that it would be about all he would recommend for products....

His last thought was to give me the scraps that were left from the install and maybe cut several test pieces and try different products on half and nothing on the other half, put in outside and see what happens!! I might just do that!

Amazingly, I watched him work this stuff with a rubber squeegee covered in a paper towel and his fingers, some liquid spray and a heat gun... and I was actually impressed with how tough the vinyl actually is!! It takes a lot to mark it up, of course rubbing something on it when it's dirty would be the kiss of death! Ask tbirdsleeve about that!!

Hope this helps... remember I didn't say all this, the vinyl installer did....

Tags
1le, hood, vinyl wrap