Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #141
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareZL1 View Post
You are in the wrong thread then, this one is about the comparison between the zl1 and the z28 on a track...remember
These are reasons the Z/28 is faster than the ZL1.... so yeah it's pertinent.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #142
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
You are in the wrong thread then, this one is about the comparison between the zl1 and the z28 on a track...remember
Thanks, and good evening.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #143
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
The OP mentioned nothing about comparing them, just stating a fact. Nothing with "what ifs".

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #144
ShnOmac

Quote:
Yep, just tires.
200 changes... Yeah just tires.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #145
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Tires are very important but I think a lot of people are only focusing on what they want to.

This to me is much more important than just tires....

“We used the very best components in the industry to deliver uncompromised performance, lap after lap,” said Mark Stielow, Camaro Z/28 engineering manager. “We made nearly 200 changes to improve the track performance, which cumulatively make the Z/28 capable of 1.05 g in cornering. For perspective, with all other things, equal increasing maximum grip from 1 to 1.05 g can cut up to four seconds per lap.”

The Camaro Z/28 is the one of the first production cars fitted with race-proven, spool-valve dampers. Compared to a conventional damper that offers only two-way tuning for bump and rebound, a spool-valve damper allows four-way adjustment to precisely tune both bump and rebound settings for high-speed and low-speed wheel motions. The wider tuning range allowed engineers to dramatically increase the damper stiffness on the Camaro Z/28 without a significant change in ride quality. Additional chassis changes include stiffer string rates and suspension bushings for improved cornering response.
The very best components in the world are of no use if that component enabled heavy ass car cannot stick to the road. Both the z28 and the zl1 share this problem of physics. The issue is that gm fixed the traction issue on only one of them, and then announced that one is faster. Hmmm. Again this tread is about that 3 second difference, and as you posted about above, a 0.05 g difference cuts up to four seconds. Have you ever raced with race slick versus street tires, I have and slicks make street tires feel wet all around the track. You just helped my argument with the 1.05 fact. Thank you. Come on GM, put a set of trofeos on a 2013 zl1 and tell us how it goes.....
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #146
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
200 changes... Yeah just tires.
Taken out of context, either ignorant or a cheap shot. I said just the tires is all anyone needs changed to put both cars in a fair test of the zl1's 80% from SS change vs the z28's 200 mods
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
Old 05-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #147
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
The OP mentioned nothing about comparing them, just stating a fact. Nothing with "what ifs".
It is explicitly implied. What else is meant by, " one car is faster than the other," it is a comparison.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #148
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Thanks, and good evening.
Eh, no point really made or stuck, but have a good one anyway.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #149
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
It is explicitly implied. What else is meant by, " one car is faster than the other," it is a comparison.
So who wins?

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #150
ShnOmac

Quote:
Taken out of context, either ignorant or a cheap shot. I said just the tires is all anyone needs changed to put both cars in a fair test of the zl1's 80% from SS change vs the z28's 200 mods
I will admit that was a mistake on my part. I read "just tires" and quit reading.... All of your post's go the same direction so I just assumed. My bad.

I clearly think you are underestimating this car and all that has went into it. ITS NOT JUST TIRES. I could be wrong and you could be right. Time will tell....
Old 05-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #151
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Putting slicks on a car is a marketing decision. If other manufacturers started putting slick compound tired on production cars and making claims of being better than the competitors performance number, you would have a weird cold war that results in all sports car having tires that last two months after purchase...but stick really well.

Gm design or even aid in engineering these tires. They signed a contract to supply that tire with that car.

The same thing can be said about strapping a blower on a 6.2. It's only a marketing decision, right?

GM engineers called for specific tire specs and the tires they are using met those.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #152
GRAHL
workaholic

Drives: 69 SS Lemans Blue
Quote:
The z28 is the faster track car, I think that's obvious. With the same tires the z28 will still be quicker in the corners and getting out of them, and the rest will be up to how long the straights are for the zl1 to make up time.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #153
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I don't claim to be track expert by any means, but I do feel the "3 seconds faster" thing was a little vague. Perhaps not misleading, but does leave a lot to the imagination....

In the long run, I don't think they will finalize a Z/28 that "under-performs" the Zl-1, no matter what it takes to accomplish that. In fact, I think they've got their sites set on a lot bigger fish in the track world...
Yes yes, agreed. This is why I am assuming (my opinion only) that the ring times were a flop against the current zl1 and GM is gonna squeeze more out of the car. So I bet we shall get some announcements of new cuts and mods to the car soon.
"505 HP 427, surprise we meant 600hp 427."
Or
"Did we suggest 3700 lbs, we meant 3300, with an aluminum frame, magnesium sub frame, and balsa wood floors and carbon hood roof trunk wheels trunk floor. Lithium battery too. Price is now only 110,000, but it beat the zl1 at the ring by 8 seconds"
Haha, still if they went that far with the mods, that would be awesome for Camaro people everywhere. I say hell.yeah.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #154
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAHL View Post
The z28 is the faster track car, I think that's obvious. With the same tires the z28 will still be quicker in the corners and getting out of them, and the rest will be up to how long the straights are for the zl1 to make up time.
That is where I am in large disagreement. Id like to see GM prove this. Either way, someone will soon after the cars release