Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #1
2SSLOWW

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Rattling noise near gauges/steering wheel

Hello everyone,

I've recently starting hearing a rattling noise as if something was loose inside the gauges or in the steering wheel. I only hear it at about 1,500rpms but it's very annoying when I'm cruising. Or when I hit a pothole or on a crappy road.

Almost sounds like its in the air vent on the driver side but closer to the gauges themselves.

Going to get it dropped off at the dealer tomorrow but just wondering If anybody has had the issue before.
2SSLOWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:28 PM   #2
mrtoner

Drives: 2016 SS Nightfall Gray
I started hearing a small rattle over rough roads, but finally found it was my radar detector sitting a bit too close to the windshield.

Before, I would have sworn it was coming from my gauges....
mrtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:06 PM   #3
2SSLOWW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoner View Post
I started hearing a small rattle over rough roads, but finally found it was my radar detector sitting a bit too close to the windshield.

Before, I would have sworn it was coming from my gauges....
Well I have yet to install the radar detector lol.

The dealer keeps postponing it so I have to wait till next week to take the car in. Once I find out what it is I will put it on here in case anyone has this problem in the future.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:24 PM   #4
thinkingcamaro

Drives: 2017 Summit White Camaro 2SS
I have a similar rattle but I think it's coming from around the media display. I haven't been able to pinpoint it and it only happens over rough roads. I'll be interested to know what your dealer discovers.
thinkingcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:44 AM   #5
2SSLOWW

Alright so my dealer keeps putting it off but I think it was just the cover(silver piece) for the air vent on the driver side. I pushed it in a bit and it hasn't made the noise since. If it comes back I will probably go back to the dealer this coming week but I'm almost certain that's almost what it was. And now I feel dumb.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
SuperSteveSS

Drives: 2017 ss
mine does the same around the driver side dash. But when I push on all the trim around the gauge cluster to find the exact spot, it all creaks, cracks and makes all kinds of noise. Just seems like cheap and poor fitment of trim.
SuperSteveSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:21 AM   #7
2SSLOWW

Update: So its not the air vent. It seems to be something on the trim. It's definitely near the gauges on the driver side. To me it sounds like something is either loose on the inside or not screwed on tight. It seems to rattle the most at about 1500rpms and when going over rougher roads.

Doesn't affect the performance of the car in any way just very annoying noise that I'd rather not hear. I'll be leaving it at the dealer next week sometime. Will keep you guys updated on what they find.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #8
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Is your interior fan on by any chance??

The 5th gen blower motors were awful in that respect. In all my 5th gens there was always that sort of sound coming from the glove-box (the blower motor was right behind it) whenever I ran the fan on slow speed, which was usually the case. Not sure where it's located in our 6th gens. Could be the source and if they're using the same supplier then it wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited by nancygrl; 06-29-2017 at 11:09 AM.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:28 PM   #9
Bradl1982

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS
I had a noise like this and it ended up being from the vent cover on the dash. Dealer diagnosed it quick and fixed it. Now the only rattles I have are from the door panels.
Bradl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:48 PM   #10
2SSLOWW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
Is your interior fan on by any chance??

The 5th gen blower motors were awful in that respect. In all my 5th gens there was always that sort of sound coming from the glove-box (the blower motor was right behind it) whenever I ran the fan on slow speed, which was usually the case. Not sure where it's located in our 6th gens. Could be the source and if they're using the same supplier then it wouldn't surprise me.
Not sure where the blower fan is located but I'll do some research and see if I can locate it. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:52 PM   #11
2SSLOWW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradl1982 View Post
I had a noise like this and it ended up being from the vent cover on the dash. Dealer diagnosed it quick and fixed it. Now the only rattles I have are from the door panels.

See I thought that this was what it was because it was a little loose. Seemed to be a quick fix. But now the noise is definitely coming from behind/around the gauges.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #12
2SSLOWW

Just an update, I left it at the dealer and they've said that it's the heat shield on the exhaust that was causing the rattling. For anyone who had similar issues. I'll keep you posted. I'm going to drive it around a week to see if the noise is gone. I will be picking her up today later this afternoon.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:37 PM   #13
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSLOWW View Post
Just an update, I left it at the dealer and they've said that it's the heat shield on the exhaust that was causing the rattling. For anyone who had similar issues. I'll keep you posted. I'm going to drive it around a week to see if the noise is gone. I will be picking her up today later this afternoon.
That's interesting. I have what sounds like the exact same noise coming from the same area. I find it hard to believe it's the exhaust though. It sounds like it's coming from the dash area on driver's side, almost in the cluster itself.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #14
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Mine turned out to be the headliner rattling near the drivers side visor. If I gently press up in that area, the noise stops.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote