Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-12-2017, 03:22 PM   #15
JOURDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
I think your problem is the system is not properly filled. A coolant recovery system should have a full radiator. Right to the tippy top and then some.
https://www.howacarworks.com/cooling...cooling-system
I'm thinking your correct Sir.
JOURDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #16
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
They've been making coolant recovery systems since I was a kid, and that's a long time ago. You don't need a vacuum machine to fill the radiator. Yes, it may help get the air bubbles trapped in the heads and block out quicker. But, running the engine does the same thing once the thermostat opens.

When you refill a system, fill the radiator, start the engine and let it warm up until the thermostat opens, top it off, set the cap on loosely, rev the engine to 1500-2500 for a while, return to idle and check level. Top off and repeat as necessary, until it's full. Tighten the radiator cap fully, check and adjust the level of the recovery tank. After the first drive and full cool down (all the way to cold), check the coolant level in the radiator and add to the top if necessary.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #17
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
There are 2 types of radiator caps. Are you sure you have the correct type? The wrong type does not have the special disc valve that allows the collant to be sucked from the surge tank as engine cools.

You mentioned one step you did was to replace the cap. Sounds like you have the wrong radiator cap. The proper cap has the correct sized rubber gasket and also a flat washer looking device/valve that you can pull downward with fingernails while looking at bottom side of gasket.
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:42 PM   #18
JOURDAN

Quote:
They've been making coolant recovery systems since I was a kid, and that's a long time ago. You don't need a vacuum machine to fill the radiator. Yes, it may help get the air bubbles trapped in the heads and block out quicker. But, running the engine does the same thing once the thermostat opens.

When you refill a system, fill the radiator, start the engine and let it warm up until the thermostat opens, top it off, set the cap on loosely, rev the engine to 1500-2500 for a while, return to idle and check level. Top off and repeat as necessary, until it's full. Tighten the radiator cap fully, check and adjust the level of the recovery tank. After the first drive and full cool down (all the way to cold), check the coolant level in the radiator and add to the top if necessary.
Have you ever done yours?
Old 11-12-2017, 05:43 PM   #19
JOURDAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
There are 2 types of radiator caps. Are you sure you have the correct type? The wrong type does not have the special disc valve that allows the collant to be sucked from the surge tank as engine cools.

You mentioned one step you did was to replace the cap. Sounds like you have the wrong radiator cap. The proper cap has the correct sized rubber gasket and also a flat washer looking device/valve that you can pull downward with fingernails while looking at bottom side of gasket.
correct, it is a vented / surge tank style of good quality and tested OK
Old 11-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #20
Spurshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOURDAN View Post
Have you ever done yours?
You caught me. No I haven’t so much as opened the cap on this car.

But I’ve flushed and filled my 2014 Sierra 2009 Silverado and numerous other vehicles.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #21
JOURDAN

Quote:
You caught me. No I haven’t so much as opened the cap on this car.

But I’ve flushed and filled my 2014 Sierra 2009 Silverado and numerous other vehicles.
I understand, I have filled literally 1000's of cooling systems. I own Jourdan Motorsports. I have been building engines for over 40 years.

You think I was puzzled...lol
Old 11-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #22
Spurshot

I felt guilty. I opened the cap on the coolant recovery tank and radiator. The level of the recovery tank didn’t indicate and the radiator was a little low. It took about 8 oz to top the radiator and the maybe 12 oz for the recovery tank.

I guess I’ll find out if there’s something unique about the gen5.

BTW, no pressure after 48 hrs setting in the garage.

Last edited by Spurshot; 11-12-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Spurshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:03 PM   #23
JOURDAN

Quote:
I felt guilty. I opened the cap on the coolant recovery tank and radiator. The level of the recovery tank didn’t indicate and the radiator was a little low. It took about 8 oz to top the radiator and the maybe 12 oz for the recovery tank.

I guess I’ll find out if there’s something unique about the gen5.

BTW, no pressure after 48 hrs setting in the garage.
What you might find by the sounds of it could be the oil cooler orings seeping coolant. It almost undetectable. That's what caused mine to be low originally. I think its extremely common. Simple fix if needed.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:17 PM   #24
Spurshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOURDAN View Post
What you might find by the sounds of it could be the oil cooler orings seeping coolant. It almost undetectable. That's what caused mine to be low originally. I think its extremely common. Simple fix if needed.
Got any tips on access, inspections, etc?
Old 11-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #25
JOURDAN

Quote:
Got any tips on access, inspections, etc?
Easiest way to look is to jack driver side front, put a jack stand under for support safety and remove front wheel.

Then its easy to crawl in and look at the oil cooler mounted to the engine block.
It has 2 coolant lines and the most silly connectors. But super simple to replace orings and refit. I personally deleted mine.

Some people have found the block fitting leaking instead, that is to the left and up a little on the block next to the cooler, just follow the cooler line to the block.

I installed the GM factory brass plug when i deleted the cooler.

I DO NOT recommend deleting the cooler if its leaking, its extremely helpful in getting the oil up to temp quicker for daily driver use.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:52 AM   #26
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
You didn't tell us how you filled the radiator originally. After filling, you need to run the engine with the cap off until the thermostat opens, then top off again.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:47 AM   #27
Spurshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
You didn't tell us how you filled the radiator originally. After filling, you need to run the engine with the cap off until the thermostat opens, then top off again.
I think he confirmed all the standard stuff.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:39 AM   #28
JOURDAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
yes, I am fully aware of thank, thank you.