Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
Mr. Brownstone

Drives: "SINISTER"
Questions about gravity Bleeding Brembos

Im gonna pull my Brembo calipers to send to "Mike" for powder coating. Could someone please give me a brief walk through on Gravity Bleeding the brakes. Is this a good method to use....or should I do it the old fashion way or use one of those pumps?????? Any advise is greatly appreciated.
G6x3 Camshaft...4:10 Gear, UD Pulley, RotoFab CAI, Stainless Works Long Tubes, Pfadt Sport Plus Suspension Kit, Cincy Speed Custom tune!!
Mr. Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
As long as you have someone watch the fluid level in the reservoir the gravity method will work. Don't let any air into the master cylinder or the abs pump.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
ericedelman

Drives: 2020 ZL1
You may not want to gravity bleed the brake system without keeping a close eye on it. If you get air in the master cylinder it may need to be removed to bleed on the workbench. If you get air in the ABS valves, you will probably need to get the car to the dealer so they can cycle the ABS valves with their scanner. Both of these problems make it hard to get a firm pedal back.

Actually, you may just want to bleed everything when you put the calipers back on to make your life easier.

One of the easier ways to do this is to get fluid in two different colors. I like ATE Superblue, which comes in either blue or amber. So if you have amber fluid in the system now, get a turkey baster or CLEAN battery fluid bulb syringe thing to get most of the amber fluid out of the master. Refill with the new blue fluid, and bleed everything until its blue. When it's green, you're close.

Next time you bleed the brakes, repeat the process with the amber colored fluid. With two different colors, you will be sure that you have removed all the old fluid from the system.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
Mr. Brownstone

Drives: "SINISTER"
Thanks for your help.

The Two colors in fluids is an Awesome idea!!!!
G6x3 Camshaft...4:10 Gear, UD Pulley, RotoFab CAI, Stainless Works Long Tubes, Pfadt Sport Plus Suspension Kit, Cincy Speed Custom tune!!
Mr. Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
look for a set of speed bleeders... makes it 10x easier to bleed brakes on your own. they have a ball bearing in them that seals as the pressure is released and allow fluid and air out when you pump the brakes.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:54 AM   #6
BUMBLE-B-TUNA

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdown View Post
look for a set of speed bleeders... makes it 10x easier to bleed brakes on your own. they have a ball bearing in them that seals as the pressure is released and allow fluid and air out when you pump the brakes.

Do you know the thread size of the Speed Bleeders required for the Brembos? I haven't had any luck, my dealership couldn't even tell me.
BUMBLE-B-TUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
Here's what i did....right or wrong -- it worked for me....
When the calipers are taken off I tied the Brake hoses high, no fluid leak while the calipers were away
When they came back from being powder coated. I reconnected the hoses, using new banjo washers. Now, these are a bit of a nightmare to get hold of. But shock, horror, my local GM dealership had 7 (sods law) and a trip to a not so local for another 1 actually a couple. Another surprise, they were actually quite inexpensive. NEED THESE!!! Banjo washers should not be used twice, well that's what I reckon anyways due to a past experience with an old mustang....
Once all hooked up, Sit 15 year old daughter in the driving seat, and work that right leg as I go around each wheel starting from back (i think now it should be right rear, front left, left rear, right front) But i just did both rears, then fronts. Just bleed out half to 2/3rds of a jar. check level, move to next. Fluid is pretty cheap, so just keep an eye on level and Bob's your uncle...
2000 miles on, and breaks are great...BTW - I did not put the weights back on the calipers. Has been fine with me.
GET-TORQ custom CAM 223/243 LSA113, Full LS3 conversion, 3200 stall Multi-Disk TC from Circle-D, B&M Supercooler to cool that tranny down....1 7/8" Kooks Headers and High flowCats. MACH XL Catbacks. Eibach springs, R2C Performance CAI, powdercoated calipers, Footwell lighting in tune with dome lights, tints, ABL Lighting, ACS T3 ports and ACS Eagle T3 triple LED lighting kit. Heritage grill, Hex vents, ZL1 rockers, ZL1 Diffuser, Quad tips...the list keeps getting longer - whats next??

markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
Kwik

Drives: car
Bob's your uncle. LOL!! Was that a great movie or what?
Old 09-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brownstone View Post
Im gonna pull my Brembo calipers to send to "Mike" for powder coating. Could someone please give me a brief walk through on Gravity Bleeding the brakes. Is this a good method to use....or should I do it the old fashion way or use one of those pumps?????? Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Mr Brownstone.....Any updates?? Look forward to seeing these!
GET-TORQ custom CAM 223/243 LSA113, Full LS3 conversion, 3200 stall Multi-Disk TC from Circle-D, B&M Supercooler to cool that tranny down....1 7/8" Kooks Headers and High flowCats. MACH XL Catbacks. Eibach springs, R2C Performance CAI, powdercoated calipers, Footwell lighting in tune with dome lights, tints, ABL Lighting, ACS T3 ports and ACS Eagle T3 triple LED lighting kit. Heritage grill, Hex vents, ZL1 rockers, ZL1 Diffuser, Quad tips...the list keeps getting longer - whats next??

markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
Team STILLEN

Drives: Varies
Multi piston calipers can sometimes get air trapped in them. If the pedal gets mushy after a part replacement, you will want to rebleed again.

There's another trick, but not sure how well guys would like hitting their newly powder coated calipers with a rubber hammer to free trapped air.
Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote