Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
Any whipple guys! help with quaility cats that last

I'm getting close to purchasing a whipple. A retailer that I won't name suggested running no cats, because he has heard some people with whipples have burned them up or clogged. Not sure why exactly. Anyways I want to run cats only if they will last for ONE with the whipple. TWO... who makes the best high flow cats. if I go with ARH.... or Steel Works are thiers good enough. I have read about solo high flow cats would it better to get these. THREE anyone had this problem with a whipple? thanks guys
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
Ovenmitt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 RJT 1SS
Send a message via AIM to Ovenmitt
95% of aftermarket cats are made by the same company and branded. (Random)
Ovenmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
lionssfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovenmitt View Post
95% of aftermarket cats are made by the same company and branded. (Random)
thanks ovenmitt.....good to know
Old 05-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
just curious but why do you want to run cats?
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
Just my .02... Personally I run kooks cats. I would never run a car without them, shit stinks this isn't 1969. You're pissing off everyone within 200 yards of your car to save a few hundred bucks. One of the reasons I don't go on the camaro cruises anymore is because of the stench of so many cheapskates that are running test pipes.

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
SOLO or Magnaflows.....bam.

Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:53 AM   #7
lionssfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspaul View Post
just curious but why do you want to run cats?
to loud by the time I get headers. I have a cat back exhaust now. and know loss in HP with them
Old 05-05-2011, 01:57 AM   #8
lionssfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquirrel View Post
Just my .02... Personally I run kooks cats. I would never run a car without them, shit stinks this isn't 1969. You're pissing off everyone within 200 yards of your car to save a few hundred bucks. One of the reasons I don't go on the camaro cruises anymore is because of the stench of so many cheapskates that are running test pipes.
another good reason the smell, I heard it gives a lower growl too. don't know first hand tho.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:19 AM   #9
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionssfan View Post
to loud by the time I get headers. I have a cat back exhaust now. and know loss in HP with them
No cats will not be much louder. I was pleasantly surprised that the noise level stayed the dame when I took my cats off. Also, if you are pushing some real power, your cats will not last long. My Kooks cats lasted a month at 625 rwhp and 1 day at the track. It's happened to many cars. The smell isn't as bad aside portray here. My other half doesn't even say anything. And trust me, she would if she smelled it!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #10
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
yeah the smell is not that bad at all, as far as the sound goes it will make it a tad bit louder but not as loud as you think
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #11
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
No cats will not be much louder. I was pleasantly surprised that the noise level stayed the dame when I took my cats off. Also, if you are pushing some real power, your cats will not last long. My Kooks cats lasted a month at 625 rwhp and 1 day at the track. It's happened to many cars. The smell isn't as bad aside portray here. My other half doesn't even say anything. And trust me, she would if she smelled it!
curious. how does increased horsepower and/or air flow destroy cats?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #12
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
The smell isn't that bad in the car.... Being behind your car is another matter entirely. I'm at 530 rwhp on an auto and have over six months on mine with multiple track days.

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
lionssfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Thanks for the info Supercharged so hitting a certain certain HP is the reason for this or constant runs on the drag strip in a day, if you know?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #14
lionssfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquirrel View Post
The smell isn't that bad in the car.... Being behind your car is another matter entirely. I'm at 530 rwhp on an auto and have over six months on mine with multiple track days.
hmmm must be the higher HP and heat. Maybe the aftermarket cats can't handle the heat compared to factory cats. We run test on the zr1 corvette all day with traction control off and factory cats with no problems.

Last edited by lionssfan; 05-06-2011 at 01:43 AM.