Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
aerialgunner

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
nervous about lowering car an 1 inch

I love the look of the camaro lowered, however i am nervous it may ride like a ghetto honda civic or cause other damage. I was told BMR lowering springs is the way to go.. do you agree? Im not interested in coil-overs, just springs. please let me know how your lowered camaro handles since you have lowered it.. thanks - Jay
aerialgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
JHall651

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS LS3 Ashen Grey
I am in the same boat. I can tell you that if you want the quality ride that this car needs and deserves then go with coilovers. I have made the mistake in the past with just doing the cheap alternative (springs) and I won't do it ever again. If you go springs you will just be paying more in the long run because you will not be satisfied and will eventually just be replacing them with coilovers. My last sports car was a Mitsubishi Evolution and it handled like it was on rails until I decided to lower it 1" with springs and they totally destroyed it's ride and performance even though the new springs were suppose to be better and tighter than stock. I am going to suck up the cost this time around with either PFADT or Pedders coilovers. They are the best on the market for these cars... so I have been told. Currently just undecided on which ones to get.

P.S. Yes, lowered springs will eventually wear out your stock struts and shocks and then guess what you will be doing... buying coilovers.
2012 2SS/RS, Magna TVS2300, RX Catch Can, Borla S-Type, Pfadt Stage 4 w/ ZL Spec Sway Bars, ADM Custom Boost/AFR Gauges, Hurst Short Throw, Forgestar F14 Matte Black 20x11 & 20x9.5 Deep Concave all 4, Nitto Invo 315/35 & 275/40, Heritage Grill, Sparks Black Grill SS & Trunk SS, P13W Fog Lights (cool white) w/ DRL Harness, Blacked Out Brake light bezels, Xpel Smoke Light Kit
JHall651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
dangjohnny

Drives: ‘21 ZL1 1LE 6MT
Just read about all the bad experiences people had with springs on the forum. If you still feel good about getting them buy them and give us your input. Just dont be like the guy on the forum last month and cut a coil off of your bmr springs to make them sit right.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Regardless of what anyone says, lowering your car will make your ride stiffer and make you feel the road. I have been through it with many different cars and trucks. Even 1" will change the ride quality. It's looks over comfort. My choice this time is to "not" lower my Camaro.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
aerialgunner

great input guys. Ya i just read the forums for like 2 hours. Of course most of the threads are of dudes who recently had the springs installed and are still hyped. Im wondering how they feel about them several months after. Also are new trailing arms required for the drop?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
JHall651

Nothing else is required other than coilovers for a good drop. What midnighter said is not true, you can have a quality ride with comfort from a conservatively dropped (1+" or so) car but you have to use adjustable coilovers. With adjustable coilovers you can drop the car and soften up the springs at the same time to keep the stock feel. As far as increasing some handling performance then there are many things you can do and trailing arms are one of the biggies but that is a whole other subject. Just go coilovers and have a respectable suspension expert install and dial them in for your liking and you will never think twice about your ride again.
2012 2SS/RS, Magna TVS2300, RX Catch Can, Borla S-Type, Pfadt Stage 4 w/ ZL Spec Sway Bars, ADM Custom Boost/AFR Gauges, Hurst Short Throw, Forgestar F14 Matte Black 20x11 & 20x9.5 Deep Concave all 4, Nitto Invo 315/35 & 275/40, Heritage Grill, Sparks Black Grill SS & Trunk SS, P13W Fog Lights (cool white) w/ DRL Harness, Blacked Out Brake light bezels, Xpel Smoke Light Kit
Old 11-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #7
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
The best thing would be to use coilovers. You get both the look + ride quality. Of course they cost for that.

Personally I think the 5th Gen looks awesome lowered. I didn't think my Hotchkis springs made my Camaro ride any harder than it did as OEM. Maybe ever....and I do mean ever....so slightly harsher. Just make sure you have your bushings timed properly before doing your alignment after the install. Then look into getting a good Aggresive Street alignment.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:56 PM   #8
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHall651 View Post
Nothing else is required other than coilovers for a good drop. What midnighter said is not true, you can have a quality ride with comfort from a conservatively dropped (1+" or so) car but you have to use adjustable coilovers. With adjustable coilovers you can drop the car and soften up the springs at the same time to keep the stock feel. As far as increasing some handling performance then there are many things you can do and trailing arms are one of the biggies but that is a whole other subject. Just go coilovers and have a respectable suspension expert install and dial them in for your liking and you will never think twice about your ride again.
x10 for coilovers.

I got my BC's installed for $1,250. Really made a difference IMO.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #9
aerialgunner

caverman are you only using springs or coil overs
Old 11-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #10
aerialgunner

never mind you just answered lol
Old 11-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
JHall651

Caverman why havent you FI that beast yet?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:02 AM   #12
midnighter
Account Suspended

Quote:
I wish you were right. I have yet to lower a vehicle and not get annoyed by popping, snapping, and bottoming out everywhere. It doesn't help that our roads here are shit with potholes and bumps everywhere. FYI, I did a TEIN $1,400 coilover kit with camber correction, etc, on a 2007 Honda Civic Si and it still rode like ass so I rest my case. I could only imagin how this cow would ride lowered.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #13
JHall651

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
I wish you were right. I have yet to lower a vehicle and not get annoyed by popping, snapping, and bottoming out everywhere. It doesn't help that our roads here are shit with potholes and bumps everywhere. FYI, I did a TEIN $1,400 coilover kit with camber correction, etc, on a 2007 Honda Civic Si and it still rode like ass so I rest my case. I could only imagin how this cow would ride lowered.
Im sorry did you say Honda Civic? They ride like ass from day one. Not to mention every body and their uncle on the west coast has a "performance" shop for cars like that. If good coilovers are installed correctly there should be absolutely no decrease in performance (pops and creaks included). What the hell do you think track guys use... Stock suspension?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254695 <---- I rest my case!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #14
midnighter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Im sorry did you say Honda Civic? They ride like ass from day one. Not to mention every body and their uncle on the west coast has a "performance" shop for cars like that. If good coilovers are installed correctly there should be absolutely no decrease in performance (pops and creaks included). What the hell do you think track guys use... Stock suspension?
Then "if" I consider lowering my Camaro, I will install coilovers and move to a city with firm roads. I love the lowered look, in fact this Camaro is the first vehicle I have ever owned that I have left the suspension alone on. I just don't want to regret lowering it like I did my last 12 lowered cars and trucks in the past.