Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-31-2010, 02:43 PM   #99
will

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Will, there are a number of suspension upgrades that can meet your requirements. The most bang for the buck, besides front and rear sway bars and rear sub frame bushing replacements, would be Rear Trailing Arms and bushings, as well as Differential Bushings and Front Trailing Arm Spherical upgrade. These are all parts that will have no adverse after on ride height or alignment.

The Differential bushings help stabilize the rear end under power/engine braking. The Rear Trailing Arms and Bushing upgrades eliminate any wondering and rear end stability that is still present after upgrading the rear sub frame bushings. These pieces will also eliminate and wheel hop and trailing arm flex that Camaro owners have experienced. And for the front, the Front Trailing Arm Spherical basically takes an incredibly soft rubber joint that relies on compliance in the rubber to articulate, and makes it a streetable spherical joint that rotates accordingly for suspension travel and steering, while being infinitely stiff under braking loads. This absolutely transforms the front end feel of the Camaro.

All of those upgrades are very inexpensive for what they deliver to the chassis dynamics.

The only time you will need to worry about adverse affects to tire wear will be when changing alignment, which is typically due to a change in ride height (like with coilovers and lowering springs). Of course, there can be variations due to less compliance overall in the suspension, but the range of travel and static ride height will remain unchanged, which is the primary influence for needing a new alignment.

Let us know if you have any more questions.
Thank you for the very detailed response! Out of all the recommended upgrades which are more geared towards those who are looking to pull more power out of their engine than what the Chassis was designed for in its stock specs? I have added the basics, a CAI and Cat-back exhaust with no plans of adding any other engine or exhaust modifications, so with a slight gain of HP and TQ over stock. I guess what I am curious of is what is truly necessary for just a somewhat stock output as compared to suspension upgrades out of necessity to keep up with the amount of power going through a modified engine and drivetrain.

-Will
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:51 PM   #100
will

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Will,

Start small. Do the Solution A front Bar and the EP1200 inserts. You may find you are just like Jean Pierre and satisfied right there.

Another quick question, after the modifications have been made to the suspension of the vehicle, are there any anticipated effects we can expect in regards to the wear of the tire when compared to the stock suspension setup?

Great question.

We have NOT done any testing on this, but I will speculate it would be negligible. In THEORY reducing body roll and rear end step out should reduce the amount of tire scrub and squirm leading to improved tire life. It would be incremental if at all and hard to quantify because my guess is the Camaro will be driven harder since it feels better. On the other side of the question we can say with some degree of authority that these modifications by themselves will not wear out your tires faster or decrease tire life.
Hey Pete, thank you for the response. I was really impressed with the amount of feedback PJ gave on his fairly simple modifications. I was considering starting small and I don't aim to modify the suspension tremendously but I am also wanting to consider my options and jump all the way into a solution with all parts in hand, it seems to be a fairly exciting idea haha.

-Will
Old 08-31-2010, 03:00 PM   #101
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
Hey Pete, thank you for the response. I was really impressed with the amount of feedback PJ gave on his fairly simple modifications. I was considering starting small and I don't aim to modify the suspension tremendously but I am also wanting to consider my options and jump all the way into a solution with all parts in hand, it seems to be a fairly exciting idea haha.

-Will
Will,

There is almost no limit aside from the amount of cash you have budgeted for suspension mods

I guess what I am curious of is what is truly necessary for just a somewhat stock output as compared to suspension upgrades out of necessity to keep up with the amount of power going through a modified engine and drivetrain.

Bumping the RWHP a bit won't make all that much difference. Driving style and use with OE RWHP makes more of a difference. Some professional drivers race really hard. They can drive the wheels off most any car, but have a bad habit of breaking. Other drivers are not as hard on a car and can save the car for crunch time. They tend to win more than the other type of driver. Unless you are unusually hard on your car the modifications you have made won't make any difference in substance regarding the durability of your Camaro.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:23 PM   #102
will

Quote:
Will,

There is almost no limit aside from the amount of cash you have budgeted for suspension mods

I guess what I am curious of is what is truly necessary for just a somewhat stock output as compared to suspension upgrades out of necessity to keep up with the amount of power going through a modified engine and drivetrain.

Bumping the RWHP a bit won't make all that much difference. Driving style and use with OE RWHP makes more of a difference. Some professional drivers race really hard. They can drive the wheels off most any car, but have a bad habit of breaking. Other drivers are not as hard on a car and can save the car for crunch time. They tend to win more than the other type of driver. Unless you are unusually hard on your car the modifications you have made won't make any difference in substance regarding the durability of your Camaro.
Pete,

Good point, I tend to drive the car pretty mellow and at times I get on it, in its stock platform, this car handles exceptionally well. My first vehicle was an old truck that my Dad and I had dropped a 350 small block in, that thing probably put about the same amount of power to the wheels as the L99 I have now but it's 60s era suspension made for some driving that was borderline terrifying at times haha.

I have a little over a grand set aside for suspension modifications. What are some more recommendations you would have for my goals? I am pretty much sold on a single sway bar and rear sub frame bushing modification.

Thanks!

-Will
Old 08-31-2010, 03:42 PM   #103
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Thank you for the very detailed response! Out of all the recommended upgrades which are more geared towards those who are looking to pull more power out of their engine than what the Chassis was designed for in its stock specs? I have added the basics, a CAI and Cat-back exhaust with no plans of adding any other engine or exhaust modifications, so with a slight gain of HP and TQ over stock. I guess what I am curious of is what is truly necessary for just a somewhat stock output as compared to suspension upgrades out of necessity to keep up with the amount of power going through a modified engine and drivetrain.

-Will
Out of all of the upgrades, there are a couple that are geared towards making power. Mainly those will be things more specifically related to the powertrain, like Engine Mounts and Differential Mounts. These are not necessary for mild power upgrades as you have suggested.

The upgrades like Front and Rear matched Sway Bars, Rear Trailing Arms and bushings, and Rear Subframe Bushings will be great for ANY type of power you are making. They will become even more important of an upgrade with the more power you add, so I would not call them a necessity for ONLY adding power.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:44 PM   #104
JusticePete

Quote:
Pete,

Good point, I tend to drive the car pretty mellow and at times I get on it, in its stock platform, this car handles exceptionally well. My first vehicle was an old truck that my Dad and I had dropped a 350 small block in, that thing probably put about the same amount of power to the wheels as the L99 I have now but it's 60s era suspension made for some driving that was borderline terrifying at times haha.

I have a little over a grand set aside for suspension modifications. What are some more recommendations you would have for my goals? I am pretty much sold on a single sway bar and rear sub frame bushing modification.

Thanks!

-Will
Will,

As much as it pains me to say this -- stop there and hold on to your money until you have driven your new setup. If you twist my arm I'll suggest you buy the single front bar and the Street I which includes the EP1200 and the radius Bush inserts. You save money buying them as a package. Don't Pass Go. Don't spend anymore until you drive your slightly Pedderised Camaro. Only then will you know if you want or need more.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:01 PM   #105
will

Quote:
Will,

As much as it pains me to say this -- stop there and hold on to your money until you have driven your new setup. If you twist my arm I'll suggest you buy the single front bar and the Street I which includes the EP1200 and the radius Bush inserts. You save money buying them as a package. Don't Pass Go. Don't spend anymore until you drive your slightly Pedderised Camaro. Only then will you know if you want or need more.
Pete,

I think I will give the front bar and Street I a shot when I get back to the States later this month. Thanks for the advise, I will keep in mind the idea of taking the modifications in small steps if I am unsatisfied after adding the bushes and sway bar. Plus it's an excuse to do "testing" haha.

-Will
Old 08-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #106
will

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Out of all of the upgrades, there are a couple that are geared towards making power. Mainly those will be things more specifically related to the powertrain, like Engine Mounts and Differential Mounts. These are not necessary for mild power upgrades as you have suggested.

The upgrades like Front and Rear matched Sway Bars, Rear Trailing Arms and bushings, and Rear Subframe Bushings will be great for ANY type of power you are making. They will become even more important of an upgrade with the more power you add, so I would not call them a necessity for ONLY adding power.
I think I have decided what I am going to do when I get back but if I do decide that I need to add anything else, I do like your guys rear trailing arms and bushings and will keep it in mind. Thank you for all the help!

-Will
Old 08-31-2010, 04:16 PM   #107
JusticePete

Quote:
Pete,

I think I will give the front bar and Street I a shot when I get back to the States later this month. Thanks for the advise, I will keep in mind the idea of taking the modifications in small steps if I am unsatisfied after adding the bushes and sway bar. Plus it's an excuse to do "testing" haha.

-Will
Will,

Are you military?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:33 PM   #108
will

Quote:
Will,

Are you military?
Pete,

I am finishing up a third deployment right now in Afghanistan. I got a lot planned for the car when I get back, pretty excited!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:38 PM   #109
JusticePete

Quote:
Pete,

I am finishing up a third deployment right now in Afghanistan. I got a lot planned for the car when I get back, pretty excited!
Will,

Thank you for your dedication, duty and service to our country. We have all of you in our prayers.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:44 PM   #110
will

Quote:
Will,

Thank you for your dedication, duty and service to our country. We have all of you in our prayers.

Thank you Pete
Old 08-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #111
JProberts

Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
Quote:
Pete,

And a big thanks for all you do to serve this country Will, and do enjoy that ride whenever you get a chance.

Definitely the sub frame inserts along with the front sway bar made a tremendous difference in both ride quality and handling and it was all I needed for my famed "spirited street driving"

Be safe out there.
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #112
JusticePete

JP,

Are you still as pleased with your Pedderised Camaro now that you have more miles on it?