Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
AustinWithrow

Drives: 2013 Cammed/LSA Conversion 1LE
How do people get ridiculous numbers for cam swap?

i have been looking at cam swaps for a while, and now im finally able to do so. but im getting a number of just about $1000. how are people coming up with 3-4k numbers just for a cam swap? im doing my own labor of course.

Lethal Racing Night Fury is what im thinking about going with.
their cam kit comes with cam, valve springs, retainers, pushrods, gasket kit, and timing chain. what else is needed to swap? Ive been told thats it.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
CurtiSSWatson

Drives: Black SS
The "$3-4K" you speak of is the full cam kit (your "$1000") + labor. Engine internal work isn't cheap at shops.
CurtiSSWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
100 bucks an hour adds up fast.

Not to mention a really good cam swap may involve a lot more... maybe an oil pump, ported heads, better lifters, a better rocker set up...

I think your $1000 is way lowballing the real cost.

Heck, most tuners charge 600ish for the custom tuning alone.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:53 PM   #4
AustinWithrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
100 bucks an hour adds up fast.

Not to mention a really good cam swap may involve a lot more... maybe an oil pump, ported heads, better lifters, a better rocker set up...

I think your $1000 is way lowballing the real cost.

Heck, most tuners charge 600ish for the custom tuning alone.
I feel like the stock oil pump is fine, stock heads are fine, lifters are a maybe, trunion rocker upgrade kit is only a $150. and the tuning is taken care of. Im talking about cost of just the cam and supporting upgrades.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #5
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
3k is adding oil pump and lifters + labor. If its a shop that doesnt do LS cam swaps they wont know what they're getting into and charge a mint. A GM performance shop i went to would do a cam swap for $700 included the cam and gm gaskets because the do them everyday. I already did a cam so all he would have had to do was install his cam.
If you dont replace the oil pump get the stock one ported. The bypass is the problem with the LS3 pump. Porting the bypass solves the problem. If flows plenty for a stock bottom LS3.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:19 PM   #6
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Don't forget all the fluids...Coolant, oil, and a filter alone cost over $100. Like everyone else said, most people do an oil pump at the same time which is about $150 for a melling. You have tuning which is $500.

Basically everything adds up. You'll probably end up at about $1500-$1700 when its all said and done if you do it yourself.

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #7
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
I just installed my Lethal NF cam a couple of weekends ago at a friends place. I ordered the NF cam, pushrods, springs, retainers, gasket kit, oil pump, timing chain, LS2 dampner, ARP cam bolts, 3-bolt cam sprocket, ARP balancer bolt, BTR trunion upgrade, ARP flywheel bolts, remote tune, and all necessary fluids including (but not necessary) a trans fluid swap. The price for all of that comes in right at $2250.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #8
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
Thumbs up

OP a lot of shops do add labor cost and fluids needed and as stated earlier most shop rates are at about $100 per hour but I have seen some as high at $150. The labor rate can add up very quick with an average of 12 hrs for install time and some shops will charge extra for tune.

Below is a simple break down of what some shops will charge just to give everyone an idea.

Cam - $389-$450, take the middle and say $420
Valve springs - $219-$299, take the middle and say $259
Pushrods - $89-$200, take the middle and say $144
Oil pump - $106-$189, take the middle and say $147
Lifters - $132-$945, take the middle and say $538
Cam swap gaskets for an LS3 - $125 for GM parts, possibly more if they use different parts
Fluid Oil 8 quarts - $65, Mobil 1 used
Fluid Coolant 2 gallons - $24, Dexcool used
Labor 12hrs @ $100hr - $1,200
Tuning - $475, on average for a cam tune

Total - $3,397 before taxes or any shipping cost that might come up and if the labor rate is $100hr

What also plays a factor is the name of the shop, like Hennessey or Lethal. The bigger the name the more they might charge more, if they advertise or promote the business in any way the will bump their price to account for their marketing.

I might have missed something but it will help you understand where the $3-4k comes in. If you are knowledgeable enough to get the cam install done yourself then go for it, its really not that hard to get done if you got the time.

Thank you,
Ricardo
Old 09-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #9
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
L99s also have to pull the heads and change out at least half of the lifters. Not to mention anything over a mild cam could use a torque converter. L99 owners are often spending between 4-5k or more for a full cam swap.

It's certainly beneficial to do your own work, but most of us aren't exactly knowledgeable in the subject.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #10
jergarr

Drives: 11' RJT 2SS/RS L99
I've been quoted $4500 for my L99.
Stainless Power Headers w/cats
Fluidampr 25% UDP
Cold Air Inductions Intake
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
ADM Trans Cooler
Some BMR Goodies
jergarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #11
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
A basic cam package with cam, springs, pushrods is under $700. Add in fluids and all your gaskets and bolts at a max of around $250. Round that up and say $1000 flat. These are the bare necessities when doing a cam swap. Lifters are good to do but are not required, an oil pump upgrade is a good idea while things are apart but again not required. The trunion rocker upgrade is good to do but again not required. And even if you added those things in thats another what, $400-500? So $1000-1500 max with me rounding up the cost of several components. If you have a LS3 car and are doing the labor yourself you aren't far off at all from the "real cost".

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #12
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
2 rounds of oil with filters, three bolt timing gear and bolts, gallons of dexcool, custom remapping of the ecu while dyno tuning and getting the AFR right, and the timing right. Maybe Freon, and RTV or Loctite, and a belt or two , Misc. I paid 2300 with 100 or so in parts/supplies and taxes were 8% of that, so it came out to 1300 cam, 500 headers, 500 dynotune and I bought all the parts prior, I know the headers price was high to install but Still he was cheaper than the other competition and recommended highly and the results perfect with no drivetrain noise and a TSP cam with .675 springs 7.425 pushrods .639/.623 lift.

Things add up going to a shop, but expertise specific to the LS engine and proven results and expert advice was the reason I chose to use Wongs performance engineering in Vancouver, Tommy is installing my new 428 stroker : my Camaro is at his shop and he uses HP tunes: and I would if your doing your own cam know where your tune is coming from and not just drive it long un-tuned if it runs and does not have problems, it needs to be tuned.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:08 PM   #13
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Dont forget to check the pushrod lenght. If it is wrong you can eat a cam up quick and fill up the motor with metal. Then the repair bill gets big real quick. There have been a few examples of this here on C5.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:07 PM   #14
AustinWithrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
Dont forget to check the pushrod lenght. If it is wrong you can eat a cam up quick and fill up the motor with metal. Then the repair bill gets big real quick. There have been a few examples of this here on C5.

shouldn't they be 7.4"?